The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

mixed bag results after 3 month vemurafenib scans

Forums General Melanoma Community mixed bag results after 3 month vemurafenib scans

Participant

To say I am very disappointed would be an understand.  While the scans showed shrinkage of many tumors throughout abdomen, there were a few that had grown slightly. My liver enzymes are creeping back up. And there are now mets in brain, which are fairly widespread.  So the recommendation is WBR and Switch from Venurafenib to Ipi.  can't say I am excited about either prospect. I am to meet with radiation oncologist on Fri for initial consultation.  Med onc office thinks I can keep working during WBR. I would appreciate input from those who have been there.

To say I am very disappointed would be an understand.  While the scans showed shrinkage of many tumors throughout abdomen, there were a few that had grown slightly. My liver enzymes are creeping back up. And there are now mets in brain, which are fairly widespread.  So the recommendation is WBR and Switch from Venurafenib to Ipi.  can't say I am excited about either prospect. I am to meet with radiation oncologist on Fri for initial consultation.  Med onc office thinks I can keep working during WBR. I would appreciate input from those who have been there.

We told our 2 daughters last night. The news was traumatic for them (ages 14 & 12) to say the least. A rough night for all of us

sss

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        dearfoam
        Participant

Sorry to hear. Mixed results are confusing!

Dad had WBR as his first treatment, but his brain mets were already severe and had disrupted his work life, memory, etc. The treatment added more fatigue and loss of appetite to his symptom list. I imagine it depends on your physical state going into treatment and how many sessions are recommended. If it were me, I think it would be wise to prepare for taking a break from work if needed, or only working half days or from home if possible.

Best,

DF

dearfoam
          Participant

Dad had WBR as his first treatment, but his brain mets were already severe and had disrupted his work life, memory, etc. The treatment added more fatigue and loss of appetite to his symptom list. I imagine it depends on your physical state going into treatment and how many sessions are recommended. If it were me, I think it would be wise to prepare for taking a break from work if needed, or only working half days or from home if possible.

Best,

DF

dearfoam
            Participant

Best,

DF

Hereiam
              Participant

Hi sss,

I am very sorry to hear such news. And I truly hope all the treatment you are prescribed will work for you just fine!

No matter how controversial this following option might seem in this forum, I will still try to bring it to you: if you`re concerned whether the whole treatment will influence your ability to work or spend a quality time with your family, you might want to explore virotherapy in order to reduce potentional side-effects and improve immune system so that you would respond to the chemo/radio better.

Well, that`s just my suggestion.

Take care!

Hereiam
                Participant

Hi sss,

I am very sorry to hear such news. And I truly hope all the treatment you are prescribed will work for you just fine!

No matter how controversial this following option might seem in this forum, I will still try to bring it to you: if you`re concerned whether the whole treatment will influence your ability to work or spend a quality time with your family, you might want to explore virotherapy in order to reduce potentional side-effects and improve immune system so that you would respond to the chemo/radio better.

Take care!

Hereiam
                  Participant

Hi sss,

Take care!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics