The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mitotic rate

Forums General Melanoma Community Mitotic rate

Participant

Does mitotic rate impact how fast melanoma will return? I was diagnosed as 3A in January 2013, but told that I was more like a 3B because of my very high rate of mitosis. Does that make it more likely that my melanoma will recur (if it does) sooner rather than later?

Roxanne

Stage IIIa/IIIb

since 1/2013

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        sharon0803
        Participant

Curious – what was your mitotic rate?  I was told the same thing.  I thought I was 3A, but they said 3B because of mitotic rate.

I do hear there are new guidlines that suggest the stage differs because of mitotic rate, but I can not find any numbers anywhere.

Sharon

sharon0803
          Participant

Curious – what was your mitotic rate?  I was told the same thing.  I thought I was 3A, but they said 3B because of mitotic rate.

I do hear there are new guidlines that suggest the stage differs because of mitotic rate, but I can not find any numbers anywhere.

Sharon

Janner
              Participant

AJCC staging uses mitosis ONLY for differentiating between stage IA and stage IB.  Mitosis is currently used nowhere else in staging.  So if your doctors are saying you are closer to the higher stage because of mitosis, it is their interpretation.  I do believe there are some studies out there that might point out higher mitosis is a higher risk factor in other stages, but that is not part of the official 2010 AJCC Staging for melanoma.

Janner
                Participant

AJCC staging uses mitosis ONLY for differentiating between stage IA and stage IB.  Mitosis is currently used nowhere else in staging.  So if your doctors are saying you are closer to the higher stage because of mitosis, it is their interpretation.  I do believe there are some studies out there that might point out higher mitosis is a higher risk factor in other stages, but that is not part of the official 2010 AJCC Staging for melanoma.

Janner
                  Participant

democat
                    Participant

Thanks for the response.  I would think it would influence how quickly it could be expected to recur – e.g., more agressive/quickly dividing means it would spread sooner.  But, I've also heard that rate of mitosis is just a predictor of how likely it is to find positive lymph nodes, but that once you know how many lymph nodes it has spread to and whether it's micro or macro, then the mitosis no longer matters.

democat
                      Participant

Thanks for the response.  I would think it would influence how quickly it could be expected to recur – e.g., more agressive/quickly dividing means it would spread sooner.  But, I've also heard that rate of mitosis is just a predictor of how likely it is to find positive lymph nodes, but that once you know how many lymph nodes it has spread to and whether it's micro or macro, then the mitosis no longer matters.

democat
                        Participant

democat
                          Participant

I had a mitotic rate of 4 per mm, and Breslow of over 4, and Clark's level over 4.  Initially diagnosed December 2012.  I had micro metastis in only one node.  But, because this was so deep, thick and agressive, I was thinking that if it recurs, I would expect it to recur sooner rather than later.

But, I know one is never out of the woods.

Sharon, how often are you having scans?

Roxanne

democat
                            Participant

I had a mitotic rate of 4 per mm, and Breslow of over 4, and Clark's level over 4.  Initially diagnosed December 2012.  I had micro metastis in only one node.  But, because this was so deep, thick and agressive, I was thinking that if it recurs, I would expect it to recur sooner rather than later.

Roxanne

Kdw2012
                              Participant

My mitotic rate was 15.  It seems to me that if this is the rate at which cells are dividing this shows the behavior of the melanoma.

i was diagnosed in July of 2012  Stage IIB

May 2014 large palpable node in left axilla

Oct 2014 3 Brain Mets

Melanoma is unpredictable, and till they can refine and define the parameters of measuring this disease more accurately, it is hard to say which factors play into the bigger picture.

I am sorry for this path you are on, I pray for all of us for to have a cure.

Kdw2012
                                Participant

My mitotic rate was 15.  It seems to me that if this is the rate at which cells are dividing this shows the behavior of the melanoma.

Oct 2014 3 Brain Mets

Melanoma is unpredictable, and till they can refine and define the parameters of measuring this disease more accurately, it is hard to say which factors play into the bigger picture.

democat
                                  Participant

Thank you for the response.  I am sorry to hear about your recent brain mets.  Did you have symptoms, other than the palpable node? I only ask, because I'm not getting brain MRIs unless or until I develop symptoms.

What is your treatment plan at this point?

I wish you all the best and really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Roxanne

democat
                                    Participant

Thank you for the response.  I am sorry to hear about your recent brain mets.  Did you have symptoms, other than the palpable node? I only ask, because I'm not getting brain MRIs unless or until I develop symptoms.

Roxanne

democat
                                      Participant

Roxanne

Kdw2012
                                        Participant

I did start having headaches but I kept dismissing to other things until just before I got the results of the MRI where for 2 nights and mornings I was ready to go to thhe hospital for them… but once you are up from laying down they start to subside. They then put me on steroids which helped.

Kdw2012
                                          Participant

I did start having headaches but I kept dismissing to other things until just before I got the results of the MRI where for 2 nights and mornings I was ready to go to thhe hospital for them… but once you are up from laying down they start to subside. They then put me on steroids which helped.

Kdw2012
                                            Participant

Kdw2012
                                              Participant

Oct 2014 3 Brain Mets

sharon0803
                                                Participant

I scanned every three months for one year, I then started twice a year.    Three years out, and still NED.  I was 3 per mm, breslow over 5 and Clark level at least 4.  

democat
                                                  Participant

Thank you for the response, and contratulations. Are you still being scanned every 6 months.  My oncologist wants to move to annual scans after 2 years.  I would really prefer twice per year.

Roxanne

democat
                                                    Participant

Thank you for the response, and contratulations. Are you still being scanned every 6 months.  My oncologist wants to move to annual scans after 2 years.  I would really prefer twice per year.

Roxanne

democat
                                                      Participant

Roxanne

sharon0803
                                                        Participant

I scanned every three months for one year, I then started twice a year.    Three years out, and still NED.  I was 3 per mm, breslow over 5 and Clark level at least 4.  

sharon0803
                                                          Participant

democat
                                                            Participant

Roxanne

sharon0803
                                                            Participant

Sharon

ed williams
                                                              Participant

Hi Roxanne, I have been reading your post for the last couple of days and I thought I might put my 2 cents in. One things that I would say to you at this point is that brain mets when caught early (small) are easier to treat with more options? I was super luck 15 months ago to have a brain scan in order to qualify for a Bristol Myer Squibb stage 4 trial of Ipi and Nivo. They found 3 small mets that were treated by cyberknife. Most people don't show symptoms with brain mets, until the Melanoma is already large and harder to treat. One other thing that I would suggest to you is a series made on Onclive called ( peer exchange) where a panel of melanoma experts talk about various issue in melanoma from when to scan, how often to the newest drugs and treatments available. There are 12 short episodes, to access you just need to go to http://www.onclive.com then on left titles pick Melanoma then when you get to melanoma click on picture of Dr.Jeffrey Weber, guy with bow tie on. There is a title under his photo that reads Nivolumab plus Ipilimumab in advanced Melanoma. If you then scroll down you will find the 12 eposides with the titles. I don't remember the exact one but the panel does spend time talking about when to scan and who they should scan. The panel are from different leading hospitals from across the U.S.A. It was made in fall of 2014 and is very current with the information and trials that are going on.  I think you have to join Onclive and set up email and password, to get access. They don't send me junk mail or anything like that.  I wish you the best in the future!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                Participant

Hi Roxanne, I have been reading your post for the last couple of days and I thought I might put my 2 cents in. One things that I would say to you at this point is that brain mets when caught early (small) are easier to treat with more options? I was super luck 15 months ago to have a brain scan in order to qualify for a Bristol Myer Squibb stage 4 trial of Ipi and Nivo. They found 3 small mets that were treated by cyberknife. Most people don't show symptoms with brain mets, until the Melanoma is already large and harder to treat. One other thing that I would suggest to you is a series made on Onclive called ( peer exchange) where a panel of melanoma experts talk about various issue in melanoma from when to scan, how often to the newest drugs and treatments available. There are 12 short episodes, to access you just need to go to http://www.onclive.com then on left titles pick Melanoma then when you get to melanoma click on picture of Dr.Jeffrey Weber, guy with bow tie on. There is a title under his photo that reads Nivolumab plus Ipilimumab in advanced Melanoma. If you then scroll down you will find the 12 eposides with the titles. I don't remember the exact one but the panel does spend time talking about when to scan and who they should scan. The panel are from different leading hospitals from across the U.S.A. It was made in fall of 2014 and is very current with the information and trials that are going on.  I think you have to join Onclive and set up email and password, to get access. They don't send me junk mail or anything like that.  I wish you the best in the future!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics