The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mitotic index follow up/ pathology report

Forums General Melanoma Community Mitotic index follow up/ pathology report

Participant

I am having a new primary excised next Wednesday.  In preparation for seeing my surgeon again, I thought I would go get a copy of my pathology report so that I can ask him for any services I have not yet received.  Please tell me if I need anything my oncologist has missed.

Type:  Superficial Spreading Melanoma

Tumour Thickness:  0.88mm

Clark's Level:  IV

Ulceration:  no ulceration identified

Peripheral Margins:  uninvolved by invasive melanoma, closest margin is 4mm

I am having a new primary excised next Wednesday.  In preparation for seeing my surgeon again, I thought I would go get a copy of my pathology report so that I can ask him for any services I have not yet received.  Please tell me if I need anything my oncologist has missed.

Type:  Superficial Spreading Melanoma

Tumour Thickness:  0.88mm

Clark's Level:  IV

Ulceration:  no ulceration identified

Peripheral Margins:  uninvolved by invasive melanoma, closest margin is 4mm

Deep Margin:  distance of invasive melanoma by margin is 16mm

Mitotic Index:  less than 1/mm squared

Microsatellitosis:  not identified

Tumour-infiltrating Lymphocytes:  present, brisk

Growth phase:  vertical

***  The following week I had a re-excision of the same spot.  No evidence of atypical melanocytes or residual malignant melanoma.  I also had a lymph node ultrasound, with normal-appearing lymph nodes bilaterally.  Chest x-ray was also normal.

My surgeon is quite proactive, moreso than my oncologist.  He will order whatever tests I feel necessary.  I did not have a sentinal node biopsy, so with my mitotic index not being at 0, does anyone thiink this is necessary?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The staging criteria calls out two categories:  <1 and 1+.  Yours is less than 1 so falls in the first (and best) category.

You need to have the sentinel node biopsy done before the wide excision for it to have any meaning. Once you remove a large chunk of tissue (WLE), then the drainage paths might change and the SNB becomes suspect.  You might not get the same sentinel node after the excision that you would have got prior to the excision.  So it's really a little late for the SNB.  As for other tests, they typically aren't warranted for a stage IA lesion.

Best wishes,

Janner

mamabet
            Participant

Perfect.  Thank you so much. 

mamabet
              Participant

mamabet
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

The staging criteria calls out two categories:  <1 and 1+.  Yours is less than 1 so falls in the first (and best) category.

You need to have the sentinel node biopsy done before the wide excision for it to have any meaning. Once you remove a large chunk of tissue (WLE), then the drainage paths might change and the SNB becomes suspect.  You might not get the same sentinel node after the excision that you would have got prior to the excision.  So it's really a little late for the SNB.  As for other tests, they typically aren't warranted for a stage IA lesion.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics