The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mind Games

Forums Caregiver Community Mind Games

Participant

Well,  about 3 weeks ago or so, the right side of my face started to swell near my right ear and 2 days later a blackish lesion suddenly popped up on my right upper arm opposite my WLE.  First thoughts were possible connections with melanoma, as I am stage 3B out about 8 years. Primary was right upper arm in 1999 and in 2004 a big node was removed from my right axilla. This was followed by radiation and peptide vaccine clinical trial.

Well,  about 3 weeks ago or so, the right side of my face started to swell near my right ear and 2 days later a blackish lesion suddenly popped up on my right upper arm opposite my WLE.  First thoughts were possible connections with melanoma, as I am stage 3B out about 8 years. Primary was right upper arm in 1999 and in 2004 a big node was removed from my right axilla. This was followed by radiation and peptide vaccine clinical trial.

These strange events were in the same local vicinity. But I did remember that Dr Casey used to post and remind us not to look for zebras when it was more likely something else may be occurring

My doctor friend looked at me and suspected parotitis and presribed an antibiotic and my nurse daughter dismissed the black lesion as a blood blister, which can happen in my swollen, lymphedema ridden arm.  Just never had such bad timing.with 2 simultaneous signs like these

Luckily, both the doctor and the nurse seemed right as both issues went away in a week or so.

Routine chest X-ray the following week showed no interval change so my 8 year status still looks OK.

Over the years as one holds onto hope and in the corner of consciousness, mindful of a possible transition back to active melanoma, weird coincidences like this happen from time to time for many of us.  Luckily, I have been fortunate so far and thank God for that.

All the best to all those with melanoma and their caregivers.  God bless all of you.

I am sure to face more mind games in the future and I hope to recall Dr Casey's advice with my first thoughts.

Mike from NJ

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

It's so scary.  I'm 1A just like you were initially diagnosed, and you always hear <0.75mm depth very unlikely to recur.  I also was <0.75mm depth, about 11 months ago.  I just think every day it's going to recur.

JC
          Participant

It's so scary.  I'm 1A just like you were initially diagnosed, and you always hear <0.75mm depth very unlikely to recur.  I also was <0.75mm depth, about 11 months ago.  I just think every day it's going to recur.

JC
            Participant

natasha
              Participant

Hi Mike !

I can understamd how you feel.For me ,  After diagnosys everything seems to be reccurance , espessialy swellings etc.

Did you have some prognostic factors in your original pathology as mitotic rate or ulceration?

I wish you all the best and long and healthy life!!!

natasha
                Participant

Hi Mike !

I can understamd how you feel.For me ,  After diagnosys everything seems to be reccurance , espessialy swellings etc.

Did you have some prognostic factors in your original pathology as mitotic rate or ulceration?

natasha
                  Participant

Hi Mike !

Cindy33
                    Participant

Thank you for sharing this. I am sorry for your recent scare, but it is so hopeful for me to hear stories of people 8 years out! I was almost 2 years NED, but had a new primary insitu mel just last week. Had WLE yesterday. Docs seem to panic! That's never good. It scares me. Then I read stories hear of people living with/fighting this disease for many years. I hope to do the same. I want to live a long time.

Cindy33
                      Participant

Thank you for sharing this. I am sorry for your recent scare, but it is so hopeful for me to hear stories of people 8 years out! I was almost 2 years NED, but had a new primary insitu mel just last week. Had WLE yesterday. Docs seem to panic! That's never good. It scares me. Then I read stories hear of people living with/fighting this disease for many years. I hope to do the same. I want to live a long time.

Cindy33
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics