The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mild Atypica Moles– Leave ‘Em Be or No?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Mild Atypica Moles– Leave ‘Em Be or No?

Participant

To my count, I've had 4 biopsies done where the mole was graded atypical but the biopsy didn't remove it all, or at least the pathology didn't indicate either way. Everything that's at least mild-to-moderate or above has been fully removed in some fashion. One of my milds grew back quickly after its biopsy 6 months ago, one of them never grew back in the year since its biopsy, and the other two are brand new biopsies and too soon to tell if they will grow back.

I didn't think anything of leaving the milds behind. My derm said it's standard practice and we can "watch them." For what, I don't know, because he's not at all concerened about the one that's shown regrowth. Then I saw a theory that a biopsy causes trauma to the mole and changes the nature of the cells which can turn them into cancer. I feel like I can't win! Leave the ugly moles unbiospied– worry that they are cancer. Biopsy them– turn them into cancer.

Does anyone know if this is true? That trauma can advance a mole toward cancer? And would it even be possible to have the mole I biopsied a year ago fully removed now? I'm at high risk for melanoma, so trying to be cautious and do my best to live to see old age with my husband. Thank you for any help!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        wildpoppy
        Participant

I'm wondering if you ever found an answer to this question? I am in a similar position!

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics