The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

micro mets

Forums General Melanoma Community micro mets

Participant

i was stage 1b at biopsy… intially mohs was performed.  i saught a second opinion… that dr said he saw satellite.  i underwent a resection & snlb.  they took a total of 7 nodes to test, 3 from one side, 4 from the other.  one came back with micro mets.  i don't know how to proceed…  fortunately the area that was resected was cancer free…

i was stage 1b at biopsy… intially mohs was performed.  i saught a second opinion… that dr said he saw satellite.  i underwent a resection & snlb.  they took a total of 7 nodes to test, 3 from one side, 4 from the other.  one came back with micro mets.  i don't know how to proceed…  fortunately the area that was resected was cancer free… but my node was not.  i am to speak w my onc and ask about gentetic testing, a complete axillary dissection, or systemic therapy like interferon or other chemo…  i am a little overwhelmed trying to look into all of these options so i am informed when speaking w my onc.  plus, i kinda freaked out hearing there was any mets, micro or not and didnt get my path report… i plan to do that monday.  in the meantime any experience, guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  thanks in advance!!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Charlie S
        Participant

It can be a tad slow around here on  weekends, but I got the clear sense of the urgencey of your concerns so wanted to chime in with some food for thought.

One"  Smart of you to seek a second opinion.

Two:  This is NOT going to kill you right now……so balance that 

Three: It's confusing to me which side the micro mets showed up on.  Unless there is an inconclusive SNB about drainage to the sentinel node, it is highly unusual to take nodes from both sides.  The report of your SNB would help clear that up.  Sometimes it IS impossible to determine the Sentinel Node, so they take both sides……………..but again, it is unusual.

Four: It is unclear that the area resected was "cancer free"……..but the node was not.  It's kind of like being pregnant, either you are or you are not.  So, which side had the hot node with the micro-mets?

Five: What do you mean by genetic testing?

Six:  Under no circumstance is it necessary for a person to be "forced" to make a decision at the snap of the fingers for a way forward for treatments.

Seven: You have an inadequate amount of information to make an informed decisions.  That is not a bad thing, but you need more information.

Eight:  Take a deep breath, think fast and talk slow.  This should be a measured decision and it is YOUR yardstick.

I completely get your frustration and fear, but go slow, gather information, question everything and everybody.  One of the most frustrating aspects of melanoma, or any other cancer for that matter, is the time it takes to gather the doctor info, double check it and triple check it so you can make an informed decision that one can get their head around.

Cheers,

Charlie S

CAdesiree
            Participant

thanks charlie! they took from both sides bc the dye settled into both sides.  but it was my left side that came back with the micro mets.  the new surgeon said the last surgeon removed the tumor from the initial site and there was no more melanoma there at the time of the resection and snlb. 

the new surgeon discussed genetic testing bc my family has been eaten alive by breast cancer… and being a melanoma patient increases my odds even more.  so he wants to know if my family carries the gene or just extremely bad luck.  he says if i do carry the gene i might consider a profalactic mastectomy. 

that is why i was so frightened and urgent… i can't wrap my head around how he was so not concerned at first… but once hearing family cancer history (that he could have read from my initial paperwork) he went in such a drastic difference of opion…

thank you for taking time to respond!!!!!

CAdesiree
              Participant

thanks charlie! they took from both sides bc the dye settled into both sides.  but it was my left side that came back with the micro mets.  the new surgeon said the last surgeon removed the tumor from the initial site and there was no more melanoma there at the time of the resection and snlb. 

the new surgeon discussed genetic testing bc my family has been eaten alive by breast cancer… and being a melanoma patient increases my odds even more.  so he wants to know if my family carries the gene or just extremely bad luck.  he says if i do carry the gene i might consider a profalactic mastectomy. 

that is why i was so frightened and urgent… i can't wrap my head around how he was so not concerned at first… but once hearing family cancer history (that he could have read from my initial paperwork) he went in such a drastic difference of opion…

CAdesiree
                Participant

Charlie S
                Participant

It can be a tad slow around here on  weekends, but I got the clear sense of the urgencey of your concerns so wanted to chime in with some food for thought.

Three: It's confusing to me which side the micro mets showed up on.  Unless there is an inconclusive SNB about drainage to the sentinel node, it is highly unusual to take nodes from both sides.  The report of your SNB would help clear that up.  Sometimes it IS impossible to determine the Sentinel Node, so they take both sides……………..but again, it is unusual.

Four: It is unclear that the area resected was "cancer free"……..but the node was not.  It's kind of like being pregnant, either you are or you are not.  So, which side had the hot node with the micro-mets?

Six:  Under no circumstance is it necessary for a person to be "forced" to make a decision at the snap of the fingers for a way forward for treatments.

Seven: You have an inadequate amount of information to make an informed decisions.  That is not a bad thing, but you need more information.

Eight:  Take a deep breath, think fast and talk slow.  This should be a measured decision and it is YOUR yardstick.

I completely get your frustration and fear, but go slow, gather information, question everything and everybody.  One of the most frustrating aspects of melanoma, or any other cancer for that matter, is the time it takes to gather the doctor info, double check it and triple check it so you can make an informed decision that one can get their head around.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                  Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics