The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Methotrexate and CBD oil – Any Issues?

Forums General Melanoma Community Methotrexate and CBD oil – Any Issues?

Participant

Hi, My name is BARRY, and I have stage four metastatic melanoma. My last pet scan showed that my cancer is behaving itself. That’s good news. I have not had Opdivo for 2 months now. You can see from my profile that things have been going very well despite the fact that I have stage four. 

Anyway, what I’m dealing with is pain and swelling in my knee joints. My cancer doctor  sent me to a rheumatologist. He prescribed methotrexate which he said would take a minimum of three weeks at least before I would even notice any benefit. I have not reached the three-week mark yet. I have some friends who have been telling me how wonderful CBD oil is. So one night my knees were really bothering me so I decided I would give it a try. I did. Right now, the swelling and weakness and pain have spread to my left wrist,  my right shoulder and elbow, and my right ankle. And it seems to be worse. 

I was wondering if any of you out there have had any experience with methotrexate and CBD oil? My cancer doctor says that likely the spreading of the joint swelling and pain is still response from the Opdivo which she said stays in my body for 6 months. I hope I have not aggravated it with the CBD oil. What experiences have you had?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hi Barry, 

Glad your melanoma seems to be responding well to your treatment.  Sorry that your joints are responding as well!!  Joint pain is a very common side effect to immunotherapy.  In fact, I view it as something almost all of us experience….with the only question being that of degree!!  It does last AFTER treatment.  But, it does gradually improve.  

Some folks do okay with advil and toughing it out…some have had to utilized drugs like remicade (infliximab) and methotrexate.  If you type in "joint pain and immunotherapy" into the search bubble at the top right of this page and make sure you are on the MPIP tab…you will find lots of discussions and threads.  "Jubes" is a forum member who has dealt with debilitating joint pain, so you might find her posts particularly helpful.

Usually some steroids are required, even when other drugs are added, to get the inflammation under control.  Perhaps you have used them already.  The good news is that we have learned that using immunomodulatory drugs have not affected response to immunotherapy adversely.

Here are some articles that may interest you:

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2019/01/rheumatic-issues-and-arthralgias-joint.html 

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/12/one-more-time-immunosuppressive-therapy.html  

As far as CBD oil.  I don't know.  I don't know that a topical solution will do much – to improve or worsen – your joint pain.  But…you might find the article posted just above your post interesting given what you are asking.  Though how those peeps imbibed is not clear.  

Hope this helped.   I wish you my best.  Celeste

EllieS
            Participant

Hi, my name is Ellie I was stage VI, and have been NED for over a year..

Been through many treatments since 2013, four big surgeries, IL2, Yervoy, Opdivo. I had disease progression with all.

Luckily I have the BRAF mutation  and have been on Tafinlar and Mekinist for about a year and a half. My past three PET/CT have been NED.   At first I had bad rigors then terrible joint pain. I felt like someone took a sledge hammer to my hands and feet.  My oncologist had me take a baby dose of prednisone, 2.5 mg.  It did the trick, I feel so lucky. Hope you get some relief!

kst
            Participant

Your joint pain and swelling sound similar to mine.  I have tried large doses of cortisteroids, methotrexate, inflximab/Humara, and now Actemra.  My symptoms have improved gradually over the last 8 months. My doc only let me stay on methotrexate 1 month without relief before switching me to infliximab. Here is an article that explains rheumatic IRAE's.

Susanne

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics