The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Methods for reducing CK levels?

Forums General Melanoma Community Methods for reducing CK levels?

Participant

Hi All,

I'm currently in week ~6 of a blind study getting either Nivo, Nivo + Ipi, or just Ipi.

My Creatine Kinase levels have started to increase significantly. I feel fine, but the doctors don't want me working out or doing too much strenuous activities.

I had to skip treatments last week when my levels approached 2000, but they were back down to the normal range 4-5 days later. I got another dose yesterday, and it shot back up over 400 a day later. There's a chance they'll need to take me off the meds entirely if it continues.

I'm trying to control it through my diet — eating anti-inflametory foods, staying away from sugars / carbs, avoiding alchol, etc. 

Wanted to check to see…

…if anyone else experienced similar side effects?
      …if so, how did it progress (or regress) over time?
      …anything unique you found that helps control it (outside of diet)?
      …and how common this is (as I didn't see CK levels mentioned very often in other posts)?

Thanks all!
      Aaron

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ilikepralinen
        Participant

Hi,

I also have the same problem. But i am Taking Dabrfenib and Mekinist. Dosage: Dabrafenib 150mg(1-0-1), Mekinst 2mg (1-0-0)

Doctor asked me to stop medicines. Was in hospital, bed rest and was given 3Litre Ringer Acetat Solution each day.  Values had reduced.

Now on Dabrafenib 100mg (1-0-1) and Mekinist 1.5mg (1-0-0).

ilikepralinen
            Participant

Now ck value check every 7th or 10th day

AZSoCal
              Participant

Thanks for the reply… Hope you're feeling better now!

How know how high did your CK levels peak to be admitted?  Above 5,000, I assume?

AZSoCal
              Participant

I'll post another note on this topic shortly, as my symptoms appear to be fairly rare relative to some of the other symptoms. I tried keyword searching the site but only found 1-2 other posts related to these topics. Perhaps this will help someone else down the road…

So, my CK levels returned to normal within a week without any need for steroids. The doctors resumed the medications and retested my blood levels 48 hours later. The CK level had jumped again to ~440. High, but not terribly concerning. We were all generally pleased, but agreed for the need to monitor this closely.

They arranged for me to come back 48 hours later, and I requested that they also perform a more detailed analysis on the CK / CPK (Creatine Kinase or Creatine Phosphokinase) levels; you can test the isoenzymes to then bifurcate where the inflamation was focused most:

CK-MB = Cardiac / Heart
                CK-BB = Cranial / Brain
                CK-MM = Skeletal / Muscles

I came back 48 hours later to find out they had also tested my previous samples for Troponin 1, which determines cardiac inflamation (…and if you are in danger of having a heart attack or already had a hear attack).

Turns out my Troponin was .09 after the first test, and .10 after the second. We retested again yesterday and discovered it had increased to .12 (…I'm less informed on this subject, but I understand they believe you've had a heart attack when you're levels reach .3 or greater, although I've heard alternate numbers as high as 1.0).

They put me on a steroid yesterday to decrease the heart inflamation (and any potential long term danger). I am scheduled to go back tomorrow, 48 hours later, for an echocardiogram and another round of blood tests.

I'm still waiting for the updated CK tests, bifurcating the 3 areasI, but Troponin is the best gauge for heart damage so the CK is not as relevant / important in this case.

This has proved serious enough that they are removing me from the study, and unblinding me in the process to determine what drugs I have been given.

It appears the culpret is likely ipilimumab, but that is not official yet. I should know more by tomorrow.

No questions at this point (unless anyone else has experienced something similar). This post was more about sharing information for future patients who might experience similar side effects and stumble across this post.

To be clear, I feel great physically… no chest pains, no shortness of breath, no numbness, no stomach issues. 

It's quite frustrating, but what are you going to do. I am now looking at petitioning my insurance company to give me Keytruda or Opdivo (currently "only" stage IIIC, so only approved for Ipi).  

Anyway… thanks all. I hope this might benefit someone in the future.

Aaron
                41 year old male, stage IIIc, diagnosed May 2017

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics