The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Metastized melanoma with Crohns Disease

Forums General Melanoma Community Metastized melanoma with Crohns Disease

Participant

I have been diagnosed with metastized melanoma in my lung, I also have Crohns Disease and have been on immune suppression meds for about 15 years. Because of the Crohns, I am unable to take yervoy.

Does anyone else have this problem? I have been to Johns Hopkins, and the doctors there were not a big help.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

I assume if you cannot take Yervoy then other immunotherapies like PD1 are also not a viable treatment?

That means one possibility are the gene targeted therapies. Like BRAF if you are BRAF positive. Also the trials for other gene mutations.

Another possibility is this trial at Mayo which is chemo based. Here is a link to a post and responses about it:

https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/has-anyone-heard-treatment#comment-78864

I'm not sure what else might help but hopefully others will know.

Good luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

I assume if you cannot take Yervoy then other immunotherapies like PD1 are also not a viable treatment?

That means one possibility are the gene targeted therapies. Like BRAF if you are BRAF positive. Also the trials for other gene mutations.

Another possibility is this trial at Mayo which is chemo based. Here is a link to a post and responses about it:

https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/has-anyone-heard-treatment#comment-78864

Good luck to you.

Artie

Roncole11
              Participant

Thanks,

I do not have the BRAF mutation

Ron

arthurjedi007
                Participant

If we click the search tab and search for Crohn's there are some that come up.

Here is a link to a 2012 post about a person that had Crohn's and melanoma:

https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/melanoma-and-crohns

Here is one from Sept 2014 that mentions it too:

https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/help-required-rapid-changes

I didn't see anything that stood out but maybe you can see something helpful in there.

Also although you don't have the BRAF mutation that just means you can't do the zelboraf or tafinlar which unfortunately are the most developed gene targeted meds for melanoma. However there are other medicines in clinical trials that focus on different mutations that you might have. Clinical trials can be found at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov

I would have thought John Hopkins would have been more help. They seem to have a good melanoma reputation. You might want to try at least calling some place like Dr. Wolchok's office at MSK (Memorial Sloan Kettering) or Dr. Weber's office at Moffit or maybe MDA (MD Anderson) or maybe even Sarah Cannon. Maybe some doctor has a good idea about how you can fight this. I know for a fact Sarah Cannon last April tested me for some gene mutation and had some pill for a clinical trial but I finally got into a PD1 trial instead. But that means there are other medicines they are trying for other gene mutations you just have to find the trial and have that mutation. Some place like I mentioned or maybe others have to be involved in those trials.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/melanoma-and-crohns

https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/help-required-rapid-changes

I didn't see anything that stood out but maybe you can see something helpful in there.

Also although you don't have the BRAF mutation that just means you can't do the zelboraf or tafinlar which unfortunately are the most developed gene targeted meds for melanoma. However there are other medicines in clinical trials that focus on different mutations that you might have. Clinical trials can be found at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov

I would have thought John Hopkins would have been more help. They seem to have a good melanoma reputation. You might want to try at least calling some place like Dr. Wolchok's office at MSK (Memorial Sloan Kettering) or Dr. Weber's office at Moffit or maybe MDA (MD Anderson) or maybe even Sarah Cannon. Maybe some doctor has a good idea about how you can fight this. I know for a fact Sarah Cannon last April tested me for some gene mutation and had some pill for a clinical trial but I finally got into a PD1 trial instead. But that means there are other medicines they are trying for other gene mutations you just have to find the trial and have that mutation. Some place like I mentioned or maybe others have to be involved in those trials.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

Artie

Roncole11
                      Participant

Thanks,

Ron

Roncole11
                        Participant

Thanks,

Ron

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Good luck to you.

Artie

kylez
                          Participant

What did the Johns Hopkins doctors tell you? What kind of doctors were they? 

kylez
                            Participant

kylez
                              Participant

RJoeyB
                                Participant

I recall some posts from someone else here who had a preexisting autoimmune disorder (lupus, perhaps?) but with some persistence was able to work with her doctors, in consultation with Bristol-Myers Squibb, to get Yervoy.  I think BMS took great interest in her case and she was one of the first people they were aware of in her situation.  I also think she had a response to Yervoy without exacerbating the preexisting autoimmune disease.  Sorry to be vague, maybe she still reads/posts here…  I think her name is Mary or Mary Sue?

Joe

RJoeyB
                                  Participant

I recall some posts from someone else here who had a preexisting autoimmune disorder (lupus, perhaps?) but with some persistence was able to work with her doctors, in consultation with Bristol-Myers Squibb, to get Yervoy.  I think BMS took great interest in her case and she was one of the first people they were aware of in her situation.  I also think she had a response to Yervoy without exacerbating the preexisting autoimmune disease.  Sorry to be vague, maybe she still reads/posts here…  I think her name is Mary or Mary Sue?

Joe

RJoeyB
                                    Participant

Joe

Roncole11
                                      Participant

June 10 Update:  March 11, Medicare approved me for Opdivo, without using Yervoy, due to my Chrons disease. After 5 treatments, a scan indicated a reduction in size of the tumors by about 50 percent. Please say a prayer that it continues.

Roncole11
                                        Participant

June 10 Update:  March 11, Medicare approved me for Opdivo, without using Yervoy, due to my Chrons disease. After 5 treatments, a scan indicated a reduction in size of the tumors by about 50 percent. Please say a prayer that it continues.

Roncole11
                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics