The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Metastatic Melanoma PD1

Forums General Melanoma Community Metastatic Melanoma PD1

Participant

My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 Metastic Melanoma (in ther liver).  He was BRAF negative but had 4 Yervoy treatments with no negative reactions – slowed the disease.  DTIC was not good and had no benefit.  We'd hoped to get him on PD1 so applied/accepted for a clinical trial – but we're randomized into the chemo arm (not DTIC as he's already been treated with that) but am still looking for PD1 opportunities fo rhim (or anything else that can treat the cancer successfully and/or buy us some time.  I'd heard the there were PD1 options in paliative care.  Does anyone have any info on that?

Thank you.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

You may want to check out the MIF forum: http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewforum.php?f=54 

Catherine Poole is the moderator there and she is very knowledgeable about PD1 trials and is very generous with her time and help.  Check the postings and if you don't see anything that helps I would email her and see if she knows of anything. [email protected] 

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

You may want to check out the MIF forum: http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewforum.php?f=54 

Catherine Poole is the moderator there and she is very knowledgeable about PD1 trials and is very generous with her time and help.  Check the postings and if you don't see anything that helps I would email her and see if she knows of anything. [email protected] 

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Brian

SteveH230
              Participant
                Hi,
                Which PD-1 trial is he enrolled in (Merck or BMS)? Has he started the infusions yet?

The reason I ask is that if he is enrolled in the BMS (Nivolumab) trial, there is no “crossover” option like there is with the Merck trial (http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01704287). My wife is on the Merck trial, and if you get randomized to chemo and do not respond, you can switch to PD-1 after 12 weeks.

So, perhaps if he hasn’t started the infusions yet, you could potentially withdraw and try for the Merck trial (assuming he can travel if needed to one of the sites). There are many locations recruiting…

Otherwise, it may be difficult to get PD-1 after he participates in the current trial (even if he was randomized to chemo). Neither company is currently offering compassionate use for the drugs that I am aware of. They are claiming it is still too early in the process, but that they are working to make it so.

Steve

SteveH230
                Participant
                  Hi,
                  Which PD-1 trial is he enrolled in (Merck or BMS)? Has he started the infusions yet?

The reason I ask is that if he is enrolled in the BMS (Nivolumab) trial, there is no “crossover” option like there is with the Merck trial (http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT01704287). My wife is on the Merck trial, and if you get randomized to chemo and do not respond, you can switch to PD-1 after 12 weeks.

So, perhaps if he hasn’t started the infusions yet, you could potentially withdraw and try for the Merck trial (assuming he can travel if needed to one of the sites). There are many locations recruiting…

Otherwise, it may be difficult to get PD-1 after he participates in the current trial (even if he was randomized to chemo). Neither company is currently offering compassionate use for the drugs that I am aware of. They are claiming it is still too early in the process, but that they are working to make it so.

Steve

SteveH230
                  Participant
                    Hi,

Steve

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics