The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Metastasis to the Duodenum

Forums General Melanoma Community Metastasis to the Duodenum

Participant

I just got a detailed endoscopic procedure yesterday to answer the mystery of a growth/lesion that has been getting bigger over the last few months in the area of the pancreas and duodenum. The experienced doctor who did the scope reported after the procedure that it was located in the duodenum and was metastatic melanoma.  My first metastatic diagnois was in early 2012.  Since then, I have had brain radiation and a lung lobectomy as well as two craniotomies.  The new metastasis is the only sign of cancer in my body now.  I will be meeting with my oncologist about this soon, but I am interested in hearing from anyone who has had metastasis to the duodenum and what the treatment has been.  I have not yet had anti-PD 1.  Based on the pre-scope conversation with my oncologist, I presume he will be recommending a course of Keytruda.  He also wanted to explore surgery, but the gastroenterologist wsa pessimistic about that course for a variety of reasons foremost probably my age, though I do have excellent performance status.  Thank you.

Frank

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Oh, Frank!  Sorry you are having to deal with that!!!  I have no experience myself in this regard, but one of the anti-PD1 products (nivo/Opdivo or Keytruda) certainly sounds wise.  Mostly, I just wish you well!  Hang in there and keep us all posted.  Yours, Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

Oh, Frank!  Sorry you are having to deal with that!!!  I have no experience myself in this regard, but one of the anti-PD1 products (nivo/Opdivo or Keytruda) certainly sounds wise.  Mostly, I just wish you well!  Hang in there and keep us all posted.  Yours, Celeste

Bubbles
            Participant

BrianP
              Participant

Frank,

I had surgery to remove mets in the area of my jejunum which I believe is just after the duodenum in the small intestines.  They removed about a foot of my small intestines.  All things considered the surgery and recovery were not bad and I have no noticeable after effects of the surgery.  Here's a thread I posted about the rollercoaster ride finding the mets back in April/May of 2013.  You may want to just skip to the last post.  In my case they got everything they could find during the surgery and post scans were clear but a couple months later a couple nodes in my adomen lit up.  I was fortunate to get into a ipi/nivo sequential trial in Aug 2013 and have been stable for about a year.  I would recommend a anti-PD 1 as well or a anti-PD1 combo trial if one was available.  Good luck to you.

Brian

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/blood-stool

BrianP
                Participant

Frank,

I had surgery to remove mets in the area of my jejunum which I believe is just after the duodenum in the small intestines.  They removed about a foot of my small intestines.  All things considered the surgery and recovery were not bad and I have no noticeable after effects of the surgery.  Here's a thread I posted about the rollercoaster ride finding the mets back in April/May of 2013.  You may want to just skip to the last post.  In my case they got everything they could find during the surgery and post scans were clear but a couple months later a couple nodes in my adomen lit up.  I was fortunate to get into a ipi/nivo sequential trial in Aug 2013 and have been stable for about a year.  I would recommend a anti-PD 1 as well or a anti-PD1 combo trial if one was available.  Good luck to you.

Brian

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/blood-stool

BrianP
                  Participant

Frank,

Brian

momof4boys
                    Participant
                      I certainly don’t want to be a Debbie downer here but I do know there is a major artery running through that area. My mom had pancreatic cancer in the duodenum and she was unable to have it removed because it was too close. Maybe try to do some research and definitely see what your onc has to say about it. Maybe this isn’t the case with you.
                      momof4boys
                      Participant
                        I certainly don’t want to be a Debbie downer here but I do know there is a major artery running through that area. My mom had pancreatic cancer in the duodenum and she was unable to have it removed because it was too close. Maybe try to do some research and definitely see what your onc has to say about it. Maybe this isn’t the case with you.
                        momof4boys
                        Participant
                          john243
                            I want to share the amazing results with Cannabis oil cancer miracle cure. My wife just recovered from breast cancer just 19 weeks of using it. She have being having this breast cancer on her left side which she have been battling for over 3 years.

More importantly, she is no longer having to deal with the embarrassment and annoyance of Chemo, Radiations and those crazy cancer drugs which is been recommended by oncologist nor daily fatigue. If you have been in the situation, you will know what it means to be free indeed.

Thanks to Dr. Thomas and Mr. Rick Simpson. Save yourself, and your family members and friends by helping them out with this information for better understanding.

Where to order the medication online!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for more help.
                              1derdog
                              Participant

May I ask what is your current status after taking Keytruda? My husband recently was told he has another lesion (mm) in his uncinate process (pancreas) that is unresectable. They put him on Keytruda. He's had his second dose & has a lot of nausea & diarrhea.  Anything you can suggest would be very much appreciated.  Hope you're doing well.  

Caregiver(wife)

1derdog
                                Participant

May I ask what is your current status after taking Keytruda? My husband recently was told he has another lesion (mm) in his uncinate process (pancreas) that is unresectable. They put him on Keytruda. He's had his second dose & has a lot of nausea & diarrhea.  Anything you can suggest would be very much appreciated.  Hope you're doing well.  

Caregiver(wife)

1derdog
                                  Participant

Caregiver(wife)

john243
                                    I want to share the amazing results with Cannabis oil cancer miracle cure. My wife just recovered from breast cancer just 19 weeks of using it. She have being having this breast cancer on her left side which she have been battling for over 3 years.

More importantly, she is no longer having to deal with the embarrassment and annoyance of Chemo, Radiations and those crazy cancer drugs which is been recommended by oncologist nor daily fatigue. If you have been in the situation, you will know what it means to be free indeed.

Thanks to Dr. Thomas and Mr. Rick Simpson. Save yourself, and your family members and friends by helping them out with this information for better understanding.

for more help.
                                    john243

for more help.
                                  Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics