The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Metabolic therapy for cancer

Forums General Melanoma Community Metabolic therapy for cancer

Participant
      I was looking for alternative therapies for cancer, and I was afraid that most of them would seem, well, a little kooky (sorry, but that’s what I thought).
      I found one, however, that seems to be both outside the mainstream standard-of-care, but yet very well represented in the scientific literature, including at least one Nobel Prize (Warburg), and that is the metabolic theory of cancer. It seems as though its primary promoter is Dr Thomas Seyfried of Boston College. He is a professor of biology, genetics, and biochemistry at Boston College.
      He has many books, articles, and videos online, so it is easy to learn about this theory.
      I cannot go into it in detail, but its premise is that cancer is a metabolic disease, and not a genetic one. Please take the time to look at the details before shooting me. 🙂

My only question here is whether anyone else has looked into this, and what do you make of it? Did you ever ask your oncologist about it?

Thanks,
      Mitchell

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        blynnvannoy
        Participant
          Look into CARE ONCOLOGY.com/us (US FOR AMERICA AND UK FOR UNITED KINGDOM). They are a metabolic based cancer approach based on Warburg using off-label drugs, some of which are under clinicial trials. They have programs for different cancers, including melanoma. My husband has been working with them for two years and we feel great about taking a metabolic approach in addtion to his standard care at the hospital. Ask for a doctor (they just hired PAs because of increased interest–maybe get a PA for initial diagnosis and meds and then ask for a doc with melanoma background. They’ve been around since 2013, started in UK and now in US. Also read HOW TO STARVE CANCER BY JANE MCCLELLAND, who also has a large facebook group full of good ideas and who supports Care Oncology in her work. Our doc worked as a researcher at Sloan Kettering and staff has great credentials. Docs watch your labs every three months to ensure meds are appropriate. Cost is $330 every 3 mos for doc consult (no insurance accepted) and meds for my husband are about $200 for 90 days, no insurance accepted. Incorproate your own good Mediterrain (sp) diet . Good luck. We have confidence in them.
          blynnvannoy
          Participant
            None of our oncologists have heard of them. But word of mouth and support from patients ( and their knowledge) drew us to Care Oncology. Docs in cancer centers are experts in their fields only, so specialied these days.
              Finem Respice
              Participant
                I have heard of them and understand that it is likely I will take that route. I have done almost nothing for the last 2 weeks (I was officially diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma on June 14) but read books and articles as well as Youtube videos to learn about metabolic treatments for cancer. I am just about finished reading Miriam Kalmanian’s Keto For Cancer, and I have Jane McLelland’s book next.
                I am also very interested in Joe Tippen’s protocol group on Facebook.

I had already been doing a moderate Keto diet for weight loss (20 lbs) but have moved to a “strict” version for the last 2 weeks.

I will be having my neck lump resected next Wednesday, so will have to recover from that for a few days.

But my next focus will be looking at Care Oncology.

Thanks!
                Mitchell

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics