The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Merck scores “breakthrough status” from FDA

Forums General Melanoma Community Merck scores “breakthrough status” from FDA

• Replies
      NYKaren
      Participant

Sounds exciting!

Does anyone know what this translates to regarding approval time?  

Karen

Bubbles
          Participant

While this is certainly not bad news at all….I fear the reality of this is more of an ad/announcement for Merck seeking financial investors than it is for medical providers or patients.  Just google "lambrolizumab" –  the "name" that Merck has given its anti-PD1 product and you will see that this news is almost exclusively spread in financial/investor journals and articles.  That said, it is still good news for it getting ever closer to FDA approval.  And….given my review of the data….preliminary though it is….and through discussions with my provider…(though Merck's still running behind BMS in data accumulated)….it is looking as though the Merck results might be better than the BMS anti-PD1 that I am taking.  SO….it is still wait and see for those in desperate need of both these therapies.  I think the data to be presented at ASCO in June will be very informative and crucial in getting these drugs approved  and on the market.

Hang in there.  C

Bubbles
            Participant

While this is certainly not bad news at all….I fear the reality of this is more of an ad/announcement for Merck seeking financial investors than it is for medical providers or patients.  Just google "lambrolizumab" –  the "name" that Merck has given its anti-PD1 product and you will see that this news is almost exclusively spread in financial/investor journals and articles.  That said, it is still good news for it getting ever closer to FDA approval.  And….given my review of the data….preliminary though it is….and through discussions with my provider…(though Merck's still running behind BMS in data accumulated)….it is looking as though the Merck results might be better than the BMS anti-PD1 that I am taking.  SO….it is still wait and see for those in desperate need of both these therapies.  I think the data to be presented at ASCO in June will be very informative and crucial in getting these drugs approved  and on the market.

Hang in there.  C

Bubbles
              Participant

Hang in there.  C

rbruce
                Participant

It's a great day in melanomaville!  I've been on MK3475 for a year now and have had awesome results.  I'm happy for Merck that they use this opportunity to seek investors, private enterprise at it's best rather than waiting for government.  As far as approval time, this announcement will help drive people to the trials, they fill faster, more research is completed and faster approval is the result.  My Doc believes approval will be within 2 years and more trials are opening regularly.  

rbruce
                  Participant

It's a great day in melanomaville!  I've been on MK3475 for a year now and have had awesome results.  I'm happy for Merck that they use this opportunity to seek investors, private enterprise at it's best rather than waiting for government.  As far as approval time, this announcement will help drive people to the trials, they fill faster, more research is completed and faster approval is the result.  My Doc believes approval will be within 2 years and more trials are opening regularly.  

rbruce
                    Participant

LynnLuc
                      Participant

I have just finished BMS's Anti PD-1 after 30 months..I have been NED Stage 4 for 3 years…my onc says it will probably be 2 years as well.-They need to do greater population studies first.  Lynn

LynnLuc
                        Participant

I have just finished BMS's Anti PD-1 after 30 months..I have been NED Stage 4 for 3 years…my onc says it will probably be 2 years as well.-They need to do greater population studies first.  Lynn

LynnLuc
                          Participant

NYKaren
                          Participant

Sounds exciting!

Karen

NYKaren
                            Participant

Sounds exciting!

Karen

Viewing 2 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics