The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Merck EAP PD1 pembro – have hope – it does work

Forums General Melanoma Community Merck EAP PD1 pembro – have hope – it does work

Participant

Just thought I would share some good news for those who have struggled through failed medicines and have landed in Merck's EAP PD1.

I confirmed with my Mayo doc the visible lump on my head that was bigger than my thumb is almost all gone with only 3 doses of this stuff. He was suprised to see a response so soon. He doesn't expect to see responses until after the 6th dose but everyone is different. The other 2 visible tumors are staying the same size according to his tape measure. Of course we have no idea about the internal ones but I am feeling better. My back spasm twinges are far less frequent. Blood work is ok with the ldh finally starting to go down a little from 423 to 399.

Someone said on here that no matter how many medicines fail you only have to stay strong and find that one that works for you. That has kept me going so much and I finally believe this is the one for me.

Unfortunately Mayo has an institutional policy that I have to have a scan before my 5th dose which is august 13th. My doc does not agree but his hands are tied. I really hope they keep me on this stuff because it works for me. He did say they evaluate immunotherapy results different than other results.

Good luck to everyone. Keep the faith no matter how dark things seem. There is hope.

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Absolutely wonderful news!  Keeping fingers crossed for that scan.  

Fen

Fen
          Participant

Fen

Fen
            Participant

Fen

RJoeyB
              Participant

Arthur, that's good news, thank you for sharing.  And hearing you say that you're "feeling better" is as important as any data and measurements that you're seeing, too.  I'm reminded of a conversation I've had more than once with my medical oncologist, specifically about sometimes delayed responses to immunotherapies.  He's had a number of patients start on ipi or either of the PD-1's, but after their first scan get discouraging results, larger tumors, sometimes brighter on PET.  They come into the office and say basically, "Doctor, I know this doesn't make sense because the scan doesn't look as good as we hoped, but I feel great, better than I have in months!"  Because of the nature of the response, hopefully an eventual rush of white blood cells to the site(s) of disease, this can cause tumors to look larger and brighter as the fight begins.  I know this isn't everyone's experience, but again, I've heard this from my doctor about patients of his and that he has discussed the same with many of his colleagues.

So again, congratulations on the good news, and give due credit to simply "feeling better"!

Best, Joe

RJoeyB
                Participant

Arthur, that's good news, thank you for sharing.  And hearing you say that you're "feeling better" is as important as any data and measurements that you're seeing, too.  I'm reminded of a conversation I've had more than once with my medical oncologist, specifically about sometimes delayed responses to immunotherapies.  He's had a number of patients start on ipi or either of the PD-1's, but after their first scan get discouraging results, larger tumors, sometimes brighter on PET.  They come into the office and say basically, "Doctor, I know this doesn't make sense because the scan doesn't look as good as we hoped, but I feel great, better than I have in months!"  Because of the nature of the response, hopefully an eventual rush of white blood cells to the site(s) of disease, this can cause tumors to look larger and brighter as the fight begins.  I know this isn't everyone's experience, but again, I've heard this from my doctor about patients of his and that he has discussed the same with many of his colleagues.

So again, congratulations on the good news, and give due credit to simply "feeling better"!

Best, Joe

RJoeyB
                  Participant

Best, Joe

jualonso
                    Participant

Hi Arthur

Very good to you, i hope pd1 works for you and you keep healthy for many years NED.

jualonso
                      Participant

Hi Arthur

Very good to you, i hope pd1 works for you and you keep healthy for many years NED.

jualonso
                        Participant

Hi Arthur

tschmith
                          Participant

Arthur,

I'm thrilled for you!  I hope and pray that it continues to work its magic!  

I get my second dose of Pembro next Tuesday.  My scans aren't until September 30th.  So far I've had an itchy rash, low grade fevers for about three days and fatigue….nothing terrible.

Best wishes to you!

Terrie

tschmith
                            Participant

Arthur,

I get my second dose of Pembro next Tuesday.  My scans aren't until September 30th.  So far I've had an itchy rash, low grade fevers for about three days and fatigue….nothing terrible.

Best wishes to you!

Terrie

tschmith
                              Participant

Arthur,

Best wishes to you!

Terrie

BrianP
                                Participant

Sounds like great news Art. I'm very happy for you. Looking forward to seeing what that scan says. Like Joe says though, I wouldn't be too disheartened if it doesn't show reduction.  I think the fact you are feeling better is significant. 

BrianP
                                  Participant

Sounds like great news Art. I'm very happy for you. Looking forward to seeing what that scan says. Like Joe says though, I wouldn't be too disheartened if it doesn't show reduction.  I think the fact you are feeling better is significant. 

BrianP
                                    Participant

Bubbles
                                      Participant

Dear Artie!  The fact that you have some tangible proof of a shrinking tumor and that you are feeling better is wonderful news!!  Hang in there!  I've still got all fingers and toes crossed for you!  C

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Dear Artie!  The fact that you have some tangible proof of a shrinking tumor and that you are feeling better is wonderful news!!  Hang in there!  I've still got all fingers and toes crossed for you!  C

Bubbles
                                          Participant

tcell
                                            Participant

Thanks Artie for the update!

Keeping fingers crossed that everything continues as it started!

who knows, I might also be in that EAP soon!

keeping you in my prayers,

Chris

tcell
                                              Participant

Chris

tcell
                                                Participant

Chris

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics