The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Memory loss and difficulty concentrating

Forums General Melanoma Community Memory loss and difficulty concentrating

Participant

Quick recap…

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIC melanoma almost a year ago to the day and just before my 41st birthday.

After the surgeries, I started a IPI/Nivo combo trial but only made it through 4-infusions (1 combo + 3 nivo only) before being removed from the trail due to cardiac inflammation.

The cardiac inflammation subsided after a few weeks of steroids, but the doctors decided to let me recover a few more months before restarting treatments. I was off the immunotherapy entirely from early Oct 2017 to late Feb 2018.

My blood tests showed no other negative symptoms the month after stopping treatments. However, at some point during this down period, my TSH levels spiked to just over 44 uIU/mL (about 10x normal). This wasn't discovered until right after I restarted treatments (with Keytruda only this time every 3-weeks).

I was placed on 50mcg of levothyroxine for a month, which has since increased to 75mcg for just over a month. My levels are dropping but still above the target range (currently about ~7 uIU/mL).

The medicine is fine and the other side effects are minimal this time around, but I've had a terrible time concentrating lately and my short-term memory is equally poor.

I should mention that I've been on Keytruda now for about 12-weeks (4-total infusions). 

Questions…

– Are the memory loss and concentration issues likely caused by the hypothyroidism? Keytruda? Or both?
      – Has anyone else experienced these symptoms and found a method to counteract the symptoms?
      – Are these known side effects of Keytruda?

Thanks all,
      Aaron

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        geriakt
        Participant

I had 32 treatments of Nivo and I had short term memory lost too. I have been off the drug 1.5 years and my memory has improved.

AZSoCal
            Participant

Good to know it improves. It's not horrible now, but it is impacting my work pretty significantly. Hopefully it doesn't get worse. Thanks for taking the time to provide your insights. 🙂

doxiemom
            Participant

I’ve been off Keytruda since August. I then went on steroids (dexamethasone) and ended up in a steroid-induced psychosis fog from October to December. Luckily, I emerged from that. I am now back on steroids due to inflammation/nerve damage that has caused neuropathy in my feet and left leg. This has affected my mobility. I have what’s called “foot drop” in my left foot. I’m prone to tripping over it. I’m being treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York, and they are going to fit me with a foot/leg brace, which should help. Anyway, I’ve strayed from the topic…I am planning further discussions with my neurologist next week re the memory issues and anything that can be done to counteract. I will share any news that may be helpful.I wish you would the best. Carrie

AZSoCal
                Participant

Thanks for the detailed reply. I hope they're able to help your mobility. Please do let me know if you hear anything more on the memory loss issue. I wish you the very best as well! Aaron

Bradley75
                Participant

Hi Aaron,

I have had both Hypo and Hyperthyroidism before mine quite altogether.  I am currently on 200 mcg of levothyroxine per day and my numbers are finally back to normal.  That eliminates memory/concentration issues from thyroid stuff for me.  I have also had 19 doses of Keytruda.  I was thinking my memory issues had more to do with turning 43 than Pembro, but you might be on to something.  I have noticed my memory has been worse over the last year.  One thing to also consider is the anesthesia from all the surgeries takes a toll on the brain.  After all my surgeries, my fog seems to last longer and longer each time  Never heard of it as a side effect to Pembro, but I don't think it can be ruled out.

Brad

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics