The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma, Zelboraf and Temodar

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma, Zelboraf and Temodar

Participant

Just found this site so I guess I'm what you call a newbie.  In 08 I was found to have Melanoma on wrist Clarks level 4. Had surgery to remove it, was told it was all removed. Jump frorwad to May of 2012. Routine yearly meeting with Onc. Swollen lympnodes in left elbow. Scans showed stage 4 melanoma. it  is more like where it isn't. Been on Zelboraf since Aug.  My Onc has been communicating .with a doctor at Md Andersen because latest scans showed tumors have shrunk in nearly  all spots but brain.

Just found this site so I guess I'm what you call a newbie.  In 08 I was found to have Melanoma on wrist Clarks level 4. Had surgery to remove it, was told it was all removed. Jump frorwad to May of 2012. Routine yearly meeting with Onc. Swollen lympnodes in left elbow. Scans showed stage 4 melanoma. it  is more like where it isn't. Been on Zelboraf since Aug.  My Onc has been communicating .with a doctor at Md Andersen because latest scans showed tumors have shrunk in nearly  all spots but brain. The doctor at Md Andersen suggested using Zelboraf along with Temodar. I went to Denver Cancer Center Thurs.for second opinon. Dr. there said there are is no data to show that the combinations of the two drugs has shown to work. I'm confused why he feels that way yet Md Andersen said they use this combination often. It has many doctors confused because my brain tumors are not normal. Usually brain tumors are a large tumor or more, where as my brain tumnors looks like "specks of salt" many, many small ones all over. the brain. Question is is anybody or do you know somebody using this combo? Because of the volume of tumors on the brain radiation isn't an option. Just really wanting to know if anybody is using this combo and seeing good results. On a side note when I registered to join ths web site it said this registration was good for only 1 day, why?

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Your situation sounds very much like my brother's (see my profile). At initial diagnosis, he had mets in the lungs, adrenal gland, intestines and brain. Too many brain mets (at least 5) for surgery so he had whole brain radiation (WBR). He started Zelboraf a month later. An MRI after 2 months showed the old brain mets stable (dead?) but 2 new brain mets. However, a CT scan showed that all the tumors in the rest of his body shrank by 50% or disappeared entirely. The doctors didn't know if Zelboraf was not getting into the brain (that question is currently in clinical trials) or if the new mets got started during the month before he started Z. So he had SRS to the 2 brain mets and continued Z. A head CT last week showed that the brain "looked better" than the prior scan (whatever that means) and he is continuing on Z. If and when the Z stops working, they will probably suggest Ippi (only 15% chance of success). 

To learn about Temodar and brain mets you can search this site for the key words "temodar" and "brain". You will see a lot of posts. 

As for your one day registration, I have no idea. Did you register as "Anonymous"? I never saw that message. Hopefully, it's a mistake. 

POW
          Participant

Your situation sounds very much like my brother's (see my profile). At initial diagnosis, he had mets in the lungs, adrenal gland, intestines and brain. Too many brain mets (at least 5) for surgery so he had whole brain radiation (WBR). He started Zelboraf a month later. An MRI after 2 months showed the old brain mets stable (dead?) but 2 new brain mets. However, a CT scan showed that all the tumors in the rest of his body shrank by 50% or disappeared entirely. The doctors didn't know if Zelboraf was not getting into the brain (that question is currently in clinical trials) or if the new mets got started during the month before he started Z. So he had SRS to the 2 brain mets and continued Z. A head CT last week showed that the brain "looked better" than the prior scan (whatever that means) and he is continuing on Z. If and when the Z stops working, they will probably suggest Ippi (only 15% chance of success). 

To learn about Temodar and brain mets you can search this site for the key words "temodar" and "brain". You will see a lot of posts. 

As for your one day registration, I have no idea. Did you register as "Anonymous"? I never saw that message. Hopefully, it's a mistake. 

POW
            Participant

Phil S
              Participant
                MD Anderson sees a lot of melanoma, and they try different things to try to fight it’s effects. My husband was treated there, so I have met people who took Zelboraf with Yervoy, or Zelboraf with Temodar before. Data on these combinations is difficult because they were likely prescribed off trial, and it’s fairly new territory for combining these drugs. All these drugs are FDA approved, so can be prescribed. Melanoma is a sneaky disease and you need to attack it with everything available, no guarantees. Since, you indicated the Zelboraf isnt shrinking the brain mets, why not try the temodar with it?? I wish you all the best, and keep fighting! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                  Scott B
                  Participant

Thank you Valerie, it has me thinking the same way.  Really what do I have to lose? I noticed you signed (Phil's wife.) I'm not sure what that means, but I pray things are well.

Scott

Scott B
                    Participant

Thank you Valerie, it has me thinking the same way.  Really what do I have to lose? I noticed you signed (Phil's wife.) I'm not sure what that means, but I pray things are well.

Scott

Scott B
                      Participant

Scott

Phil S
                      Participant
                        MD Anderson sees a lot of melanoma, and they try different things to try to fight it’s effects. My husband was treated there, so I have met people who took Zelboraf with Yervoy, or Zelboraf with Temodar before. Data on these combinations is difficult because they were likely prescribed off trial, and it’s fairly new territory for combining these drugs. All these drugs are FDA approved, so can be prescribed. Melanoma is a sneaky disease and you need to attack it with everything available, no guarantees. Since, you indicated the Zelboraf isnt shrinking the brain mets, why not try the temodar with it?? I wish you all the best, and keep fighting! Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                        Phil S
                        Participant
                          SidneyGracie
                          Participant

My husbands brain mets are like yours.  Scattered throughout.  Small specks less than 1-2mm.  He did have two that were 1 cm.  Altogether at diagnosis, the MRI showed at least 17 they could count.  My husband had a paper thin melanoma removed in 2006.  Got it all.  Followed by dermatologist all those years, at first every 3 months, then every 6, and most recently once a year. Have never found any other skin meanomas.  Had a chest x-ray every year, blood work every year.  Was seen by oncologist the first 2 years, always searching, finding nothing.  Then summer 2012 not feeling well, stomach ache, exhausted.  Took till August 16 for dianosis. We never thought about it being caused by melanoma, (thought that was old news)  30 lesions liver, 12 lungs, 17 brain, one 2.3 cm in eye orbit, some lumps started popping up over eyebrow, behind ear, near original melanoma site.

In regards to brain mets, he had whole brain radiation in Sept while on Zelboraf.  Started Zelboraf on Sept 4th.  Within one week, the lumps were gone.  Began Whole brain radiation on Sept 12 for 10 weekdays.  Finished Sept 25.  Doctors did not have a lot of paitents getting whole brain at the same time taking Zelboraf.  Results, CT scans end of Oct showed lung nodules almost gone,  liver back to close to normal size and lesions shrunk nearly 50%.  Brain MRI done last week now shows specks but most of lesions have shrunk significantly.  NO NEW LESIONS anywhere.  When we read the CT report from end of August, we did see that there was a lesion on adrenlal gland that we didn't previously know about.  They never ordered a PET Scan in beginning as our dignostic CT Scans, liver biopsy etc had been done locally before we went to Cancer Treatment Center.  We are still pushing for a Whole body PET Scan.  Dont know about the Temador.  That is not something we have been told about.  I have only heard of this since finding this site this week.  Good luck.

SidneyGracie
                            Participant

My husbands brain mets are like yours.  Scattered throughout.  Small specks less than 1-2mm.  He did have two that were 1 cm.  Altogether at diagnosis, the MRI showed at least 17 they could count.  My husband had a paper thin melanoma removed in 2006.  Got it all.  Followed by dermatologist all those years, at first every 3 months, then every 6, and most recently once a year. Have never found any other skin meanomas.  Had a chest x-ray every year, blood work every year.  Was seen by oncologist the first 2 years, always searching, finding nothing.  Then summer 2012 not feeling well, stomach ache, exhausted.  Took till August 16 for dianosis. We never thought about it being caused by melanoma, (thought that was old news)  30 lesions liver, 12 lungs, 17 brain, one 2.3 cm in eye orbit, some lumps started popping up over eyebrow, behind ear, near original melanoma site.

In regards to brain mets, he had whole brain radiation in Sept while on Zelboraf.  Started Zelboraf on Sept 4th.  Within one week, the lumps were gone.  Began Whole brain radiation on Sept 12 for 10 weekdays.  Finished Sept 25.  Doctors did not have a lot of paitents getting whole brain at the same time taking Zelboraf.  Results, CT scans end of Oct showed lung nodules almost gone,  liver back to close to normal size and lesions shrunk nearly 50%.  Brain MRI done last week now shows specks but most of lesions have shrunk significantly.  NO NEW LESIONS anywhere.  When we read the CT report from end of August, we did see that there was a lesion on adrenlal gland that we didn't previously know about.  They never ordered a PET Scan in beginning as our dignostic CT Scans, liver biopsy etc had been done locally before we went to Cancer Treatment Center.  We are still pushing for a Whole body PET Scan.  Dont know about the Temador.  That is not something we have been told about.  I have only heard of this since finding this site this week.  Good luck.

SidneyGracie
                              Participant

SidneyGracie
                                  Participant

His paper thin melanoma was on top of right shoulder

SidneyGracie
                                    Participant

SidneyGracie
                                      Participant

JC
                                      Participant

Paper thin meaning what Breslow depth?

JC
                                        Participant

SidneyGracie
                                            Participant

Anonymous,

I had not heard of Breslow Depth before.  It was never mentioned, just that the melanoma was paper thin and they got it all.  I went back and read the Dermatologist and Lab report from 2006 and it says Breslow depth .45mm, Clark level III.

SidneyGracie
                                              Participant

Anonymous,

I had not heard of Breslow Depth before.  It was never mentioned, just that the melanoma was paper thin and they got it all.  I went back and read the Dermatologist and Lab report from 2006 and it says Breslow depth .45mm, Clark level III.

SidneyGracie
                                                Participant

Anonymous,

JC
                                                  Participant

Wow, this disease really sucks.  0.45mm on extremity. . . when new people post with such pathology, they are told "don't worry, this is really low risk, you'll be fine, WLE will take care of it, etc……" but as we know with this disease there are no rules, it doesn't follow any predictability, etc. . .  that's why every single lesion, no matter the stage, has to be taken very seriously

JC
                                                    Participant

Wow, this disease really sucks.  0.45mm on extremity. . . when new people post with such pathology, they are told "don't worry, this is really low risk, you'll be fine, WLE will take care of it, etc……" but as we know with this disease there are no rules, it doesn't follow any predictability, etc. . .  that's why every single lesion, no matter the stage, has to be taken very seriously

JC
                                                      Participant

JC
                                                      Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                        Participant

I wrote a fairly long response to you, but it disappeared.  Basically Temodar is known to cross the Blood Brain Barrier to attack tumors in the brain.  Dr Wen Jen Hwu, among others at MDA has used Temodar in conjunction with other drugs and at times have found that it may both help brain tumors and assist in creating apoptosis in cells in other body locations.

With Zelboraf so newly approved, where would data be found to show how the two drugs would work together?  Where is any data to indicate that they won't work together to your benefit?    The need for combination trials is one of the items that Tim (MRF- Director) has been pushing for .  It is greatly needed, but has many financial and politcal ramifications as to what/who is responsible for what.  Pharmacia wants money and freedom from liability, we want LIFE.  Where is a joint meeting ground?

I would certainly try this combination before considering Whole Brain Radiation (WBR) which can only be done once in ones lifetime.  I have heard that there is often some hesitantcy in Denver (and many other locations) to try things that are not already on their trial schedule.  MDA seems to bo one of the more open locations to doing things outside the normal box.  I know of at least several cases where MDA Oncologists have assisted Oncologist at other locations to do things people have requested, that very few locations will even consider.  While I have never actually been to MDA, I believe that the assistance they have provided my oncologists and some friends of mine's oncologists (outside the normal box of treatments) may be the reason that we are still here in this battle.

JerryfromFauq
                                                          Participant

I wrote a fairly long response to you, but it disappeared.  Basically Temodar is known to cross the Blood Brain Barrier to attack tumors in the brain.  Dr Wen Jen Hwu, among others at MDA has used Temodar in conjunction with other drugs and at times have found that it may both help brain tumors and assist in creating apoptosis in cells in other body locations.

With Zelboraf so newly approved, where would data be found to show how the two drugs would work together?  Where is any data to indicate that they won't work together to your benefit?    The need for combination trials is one of the items that Tim (MRF- Director) has been pushing for .  It is greatly needed, but has many financial and politcal ramifications as to what/who is responsible for what.  Pharmacia wants money and freedom from liability, we want LIFE.  Where is a joint meeting ground?

I would certainly try this combination before considering Whole Brain Radiation (WBR) which can only be done once in ones lifetime.  I have heard that there is often some hesitantcy in Denver (and many other locations) to try things that are not already on their trial schedule.  MDA seems to bo one of the more open locations to doing things outside the normal box.  I know of at least several cases where MDA Oncologists have assisted Oncologist at other locations to do things people have requested, that very few locations will even consider.  While I have never actually been to MDA, I believe that the assistance they have provided my oncologists and some friends of mine's oncologists (outside the normal box of treatments) may be the reason that we are still here in this battle.

carpediemtr
                                                              Participant

Hello. I just found this site recently after that Metastatic Melonoma was diagnosed on my brother (lungs) at second half of July 2013.

First he started to take temodar in August and completed first cycle. Then, according to positive braf result, he started to take Zelboraf last Thursday (12th of Sep.)

After about 4 or five days, allergic reactions started to happen on his body. Then yesterday, his hands, face, neck all became red and we diagnosed rash on his upper body. Then,  today rashes diffused all over his body. Also he has fever and nausea today.

After communication with our oncologist (but he hadn't worked with any braf patient until my brother), he suggested to stop medicine. On the other hand, we asked for advice of another oncologist who study about Zelboraf, stated that if we see this kind of side effects, it would mean that Zelboraf is effective on melanoma and suggests not to stop, but maybe reduce the dose.

So now we have a dilemma about the decision. Has anybody experienced the same side effects here? And what was the solution? If these effects continue and grow, should we stop the Zelboraf and will not take again? Could you please help us? We need your urgent advice.

Thank you in advance.

carpediemtr
                                                                Participant

Hello. I just found this site recently after that Metastatic Melonoma was diagnosed on my brother (lungs) at second half of July 2013.

First he started to take temodar in August and completed first cycle. Then, according to positive braf result, he started to take Zelboraf last Thursday (12th of Sep.)

After about 4 or five days, allergic reactions started to happen on his body. Then yesterday, his hands, face, neck all became red and we diagnosed rash on his upper body. Then,  today rashes diffused all over his body. Also he has fever and nausea today.

After communication with our oncologist (but he hadn't worked with any braf patient until my brother), he suggested to stop medicine. On the other hand, we asked for advice of another oncologist who study about Zelboraf, stated that if we see this kind of side effects, it would mean that Zelboraf is effective on melanoma and suggests not to stop, but maybe reduce the dose.

So now we have a dilemma about the decision. Has anybody experienced the same side effects here? And what was the solution? If these effects continue and grow, should we stop the Zelboraf and will not take again? Could you please help us? We need your urgent advice.

Thank you in advance.

carpediemtr
                                                                  Participant

Thank you in advance.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                  Participant

carpediemtr
                                                                    Participant

Hello. I just found this site recently after that Metastatic Melonoma was diagnosed on my brother (lungs) at second half of July 2013.

After about 4 or five days, allergic reactions started to happen on his body. Then yesterday, his hands, face, neck all became red and we diagnosed rash on his upper body. Then, today rashes diffused all over his body. Also he has fever and nausea today.

Thank you in advance.

carpediemtr
                                                                      Participant

Hello. I just found this site recently after that Metastatic Melonoma was diagnosed on my brother (lungs) at second half of July 2013.

After about 4 or five days, allergic reactions started to happen on his body. Then yesterday, his hands, face, neck all became red and we diagnosed rash on his upper body. Then, today rashes diffused all over his body. Also he has fever and nausea today.

Thank you in advance.

carpediemtr
                                                                        Participant

Thank you in advance.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics