The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma Vets

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma Vets

Participant

I am leaving for Afghanistan soon and was wondering if I could ask you a few questions that I have. My last derm appt really bothered me.

As some may know, I had a mother pass away from melanoma (stage I to stage 4 case) a few years ago and I recently have been diagnosed with stage I melanoma.

I recently went back to the derm to have another mole check up before I leave for Afghanistan.

I am leaving for Afghanistan soon and was wondering if I could ask you a few questions that I have. My last derm appt really bothered me.

As some may know, I had a mother pass away from melanoma (stage I to stage 4 case) a few years ago and I recently have been diagnosed with stage I melanoma.

I recently went back to the derm to have another mole check up before I leave for Afghanistan.

He was not available, but had a PA check me out. She wanted to remove 10 moles. That seemed like a lot, especially since I know most of these have not changed. Don't get me wrong, they look weird, but all my moles do. I asked her if this was preventative care because I was leaving the country for a year and she said "no." She feels that is important in my case to remove not only melanoma, but moles that could be melanoma. How do you feel about this? I am VERY good about checking my moles, I know I missed the actual melanoma, but it was one of the few moles that I cannot check as easy, but most of the moles she wants to remove are in places I can monitor. But am I making a mistake?

She asked about a pink patch a skin I had on my back. I told her I had a mole removed (shave biopsy) in that very place exactly a year ago. The derm was not suspicious of melanoma, but the mole itself was huge (raised, and 7MMx7MM) and it was in a place where it would rub against my gear. Therefore, he took it off. Came back normal. The red patch is within that place where the mole was. When I told her this, she quickly dismissed it, but now, after reading all the info packets she gave me, I am worried this could be a case of amelanotic melanoma. In the info packet, it stated to remove any sore that has not healed. That was my first shave biopsy, should some places still be red after a year?

Lastly, I talked to her about preventing a recurrence like my mom. She said there is nothing I can do, but talk to my doctor about taking an asprin a day. Recent studies have shown that this could prevent melanoma. Is there anyone doing this? Sounds odd?

I would love to know your thoughts. Jared

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        mombase
        Participant

Hi, Jared,

I think that I would have whatever moles she deems as suspicious removed before I took off for Afghanistan.  That is just my personeal preference. I lost my worlwide mobility status after I had a lesion checked out, but I would have been in a world of doodoo if I had just gone on the deployment.

As for the aspirin, I checked it out, and was very surprised to see some articles about the efficacy of an aspirin a day in treating melanoma! Here is a link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43468687/ns/health-cancer/t/daily-aspirin-may-protect-against-melanoma/

Good luck to you, Jared!

Cristy, Stage IV

jaredmiller16
            Participant

Just looked at your profile. Congrats on your retirement! I am  frustrated right now because I am 15 years in and I am worried they're going to cut our retirement with all the budget cuts.

Thanks for your advice. I think I am going to have them remove the ones that I cannot see and monitor the rest seeing as I am good about my monthly exams. And my pictures show no change.

You know, I think if there is a time to have melanoma (which is never), the time is now. I wish my mom had the treatments that are going on. Prayers for you. Ooh-rah. Thanks for the link on the asprin. I wonder why this is not being talked about more?

jaredmiller16
              Participant

Just looked at your profile. Congrats on your retirement! I am  frustrated right now because I am 15 years in and I am worried they're going to cut our retirement with all the budget cuts.

Thanks for your advice. I think I am going to have them remove the ones that I cannot see and monitor the rest seeing as I am good about my monthly exams. And my pictures show no change.

You know, I think if there is a time to have melanoma (which is never), the time is now. I wish my mom had the treatments that are going on. Prayers for you. Ooh-rah. Thanks for the link on the asprin. I wonder why this is not being talked about more?

jaredmiller16
                Participant

mombase
                Participant

Hi, Jared,

I think that I would have whatever moles she deems as suspicious removed before I took off for Afghanistan.  That is just my personeal preference. I lost my worlwide mobility status after I had a lesion checked out, but I would have been in a world of doodoo if I had just gone on the deployment.

As for the aspirin, I checked it out, and was very surprised to see some articles about the efficacy of an aspirin a day in treating melanoma! Here is a link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43468687/ns/health-cancer/t/daily-aspirin-may-protect-against-melanoma/

Good luck to you, Jared!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                  Participant

Hi, Jared,

Good luck to you, Jared!

Cristy, Stage IV

Janner
                    Participant

If you have a lot of atypical looking moles, removal of all of them is just not realistic.  Only about 50% of melanomas arise on existing moles.  Personally, I only remove things that change for the worst.  For my 3 primaries, that was key.  If I were you, I'd probably let the PA remove anything you can't monitor yourself that is suspicious.  Then I'd probably take photos of the rest to watch for change.  As for the old shave biopsy on your back, it's likely that the shave didn't remove everything and some of the original benign mole remained or grew back.  If it was benign before, it most likely is benign now.  I wouldn't really suspect amelanotic melanoma especially if your first melanoma wasn't amelanotic.  But you could request an excisional biopsy to get rid of it all if it bothers you.  That's the problem with shave biopsies, they often don't go deep enough to remove an entire mole.  I refuse shave biopsies now.

My question to you is this:  What moles do YOU want removed and what would make YOU comfortable?  I like my derm, but *I* caught my 3 primaries – no one else.  You know your body better than a PA who sees you on occasion.  If they aren't comparing your existing moles against photos, how is the PA going to remember if anything looks different than before?  Are any of those moles "the ugly duckling"?  Different from all your other moles?  My derm always asks my gut feeling, and we discuss anything that is suspicious after we compare it against existing pictures.  He will remove anything that I really don't like – and that is key with me.  You call the shots – you know your body best!  Do what YOU think will make you comfortable while you're away.  It's still low risk that you'll have another primary, but being vigilant is just smart.

Best wishes,

Janner

jaredmiller16
                        Participant

Thank you for your reply. I think you do this board a great service.

I love your idea regarding getting the moles removed that I cannot monitor. Why didn't I think of that? I think she mentioned two on my back, so I will have those removed. But, the rest of the eight are all of places where I can monitor and know they have not changed. After my mom passed, I make sure to do my skin checks once a month and this includes pictures and a measuring tape.

I am going to place a call to the derm before I leave and see what he thinks, seeing as he knows me the best. I know for a fact he looks for the "ugly ducking" sign. I get seen at a Naval Medical Center and military docs are known for having a ton of interns in the room during exams, so I see and hear a lot about my moles when he explains them to the group. I constantly hear the term "ugly duckling" and I know he says my moles are kinda look alike, in a weird way. And for each weird mole, there is at least another weird mole that looks like it.

I agree about the shave bio's. My mom's reoccurring melanoma was from a shave and the depth was hard to determine because of a bad shave. I am surprised I let the derm do this shave, but seeing as both of us were not worried about it being melanoma (I had this mole since I was a kid) and only removed it for "cosmetic" reasons, I agreed. But, I am on your side with that one.

jaredmiller16
                          Participant

I love your idea regarding getting the moles removed that I cannot monitor. Why didn't I think of that? I think she mentioned two on my back, so I will have those removed. But, the rest of the eight are all of places where I can monitor and know they have not changed. After my mom passed, I make sure to do my skin checks once a month and this includes pictures and a measuring tape.

I am going to place a call to the derm before I leave and see what he thinks, seeing as he knows me the best. I know for a fact he looks for the "ugly ducking" sign. I get seen at a Naval Medical Center and military docs are known for having a ton of interns in the room during exams, so I see and hear a lot about my moles when he explains them to the group. I constantly hear the term "ugly duckling" and I know he says my moles are kinda look alike, in a weird way. And for each weird mole, there is at least another weird mole that looks like it.

I agree about the shave bio's. My mom's reoccurring melanoma was from a shave and the depth was hard to determine because of a bad shave. I am surprised I let the derm do this shave, but seeing as both of us were not worried about it being melanoma (I had this mole since I was a kid) and only removed it for "cosmetic" reasons, I agreed. But, I am on your side with that one.

jaredmiller16
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant

If you have a lot of atypical looking moles, removal of all of them is just not realistic.  Only about 50% of melanomas arise on existing moles.  Personally, I only remove things that change for the worst.  For my 3 primaries, that was key.  If I were you, I'd probably let the PA remove anything you can't monitor yourself that is suspicious.  Then I'd probably take photos of the rest to watch for change.  As for the old shave biopsy on your back, it's likely that the shave didn't remove everything and some of the original benign mole remained or grew back.  If it was benign before, it most likely is benign now.  I wouldn't really suspect amelanotic melanoma especially if your first melanoma wasn't amelanotic.  But you could request an excisional biopsy to get rid of it all if it bothers you.  That's the problem with shave biopsies, they often don't go deep enough to remove an entire mole.  I refuse shave biopsies now.

My question to you is this:  What moles do YOU want removed and what would make YOU comfortable?  I like my derm, but *I* caught my 3 primaries – no one else.  You know your body better than a PA who sees you on occasion.  If they aren't comparing your existing moles against photos, how is the PA going to remember if anything looks different than before?  Are any of those moles "the ugly duckling"?  Different from all your other moles?  My derm always asks my gut feeling, and we discuss anything that is suspicious after we compare it against existing pictures.  He will remove anything that I really don't like – and that is key with me.  You call the shots – you know your body best!  Do what YOU think will make you comfortable while you're away.  It's still low risk that you'll have another primary, but being vigilant is just smart.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Most studies I have seen relate to the full strength adult aspirin usage for 5 years or more.  The main activity apparently is believed to be in the anti-inflammatory properties of aspirin.  One item to watch out for is any of the negative side-effects of aspirin if you tend to have them.  I don't seem to have them and my family has had circulatory problems for which aspirin appears to help.

If not on any Chemo for melanoma, I would also recommend anti-oxidants and Curcumin (Tumeric extract (95%))

Cancers 2011, 3, 927-944; doi:10.3390/cancers3010927

http://bmctoday.net/practicaldermatology/2011/08/article.asp?f=skin-cancer-important-developments-in-treatment-and-prevention

In one of the more promising recent studies of NSAID use and skin cancer incidence, Tori, et al. found NSAID use to be associated with a modestly reduced risk of SCC.7 Aspirin use provided the greatest reduction in risk, with the greatest benefit seen among patients taking the drug for six years or less. NSAID use seemed to reduce the risk of SCC tumors with p53 or PTCH mutations,

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6694/2/2/1178/pdf

2.2.2. Anti-inflammatory Agents
                                  Overexpression of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and increased prostaglandin biosynthesis are defining features of several malignancies, and correlate with carcinogenesis [23–27]. The SKICAP-AK trial revealed that NSAID use of short duration was more protective against non-melanoma skin cancers than longer duration of use [28]. A few epidemiological studies have examined the association of NSAIDs with melanoma risk and have found conflicting results [29–32] A recent case controlled study examining the association between statins and NSAID use and melanoma, demonstrated that control
                                  subjects were more likely than melanoma subjects to have reported NSAID or aspirin use for 5 years [33]. While NSAIDs have yet to demonstrate sufficient evidence to be recommended for melanoma chemoprevention, their potential role in melanoma may be directed towards adjuvant treatment of metastases rather than prevention [34].

2.2.3. Anti-oxidants
                                  Induction of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the skin by ultraviolet (UV) radiation is damaging to intracellular organelles, depletes the critical antioxidant glutathione (GSH), and ultimately promotes oncogenic mutations via oxidative DNA damage [35–38]. N-acetylcysteine (NAC), an orally bioavailable antioxidant, replenishes the pool of available GSH [39]. Topical formulations have the potential to decrease UV-mediated GSH depletion and ROS formation [40], and recent human studies support the utility of NAC in pre-UV exposure prophylaxis [41].
                                  2.2.4. Anti-proliferatives
                                  Perillyl alcohol (POH) is a naturally occurring chemical that can slow tumor cell growth by suppressing transcription factor-mediated cell proliferation and transformation [42]. A recent phase IIa study examined reversal of actinic damage following POH vs. placebo in patients with sun-damaged skin, and showed that histopathologic score was reduced with low dose POH and that abnormal nuclei were significantly reduced with high dose POH. These compelling results warrant larger, well-controlled studies of POH as a chemopreventive agent as well as efforts to improve dermal
                                  penetration and bioavailability of POH-based therapeutics.
                                  2.2.5. Diet, Micronutrients and Nutritional Supplements
                                  Diet, micronutrients, and other nutritional supplements may also play a role in melanoma chemoprevention [43]. Vitamins C [44], D [45–48], and E [49–55] each have varying degrees of evidence supporting their use as chemopreventive agents. The same is true with other dietary supplements such as green tea polyphenols [56–61], selenium [62–65], curcumin [66], and lycopene [67–69]. While there are many in vitro and animal studies that indicate a possible benefit in melanoma prevention, human studies are generally lacking and do not suggest a clear clinical
                                  recommendation that physicians should pass on to their patients.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Most studies I have seen relate to the full strength adult aspirin usage for 5 years or more.  The main activity apparently is believed to be in the anti-inflammatory properties of aspirin.  One item to watch out for is any of the negative side-effects of aspirin if you tend to have them.  I don't seem to have them and my family has had circulatory problems for which aspirin appears to help.

If not on any Chemo for melanoma, I would also recommend anti-oxidants and Curcumin (Tumeric extract (95%))

http://bmctoday.net/practicaldermatology/2011/08/article.asp?f=skin-cancer-important-developments-in-treatment-and-prevention

In one of the more promising recent studies of NSAID use and skin cancer incidence, Tori, et al. found NSAID use to be associated with a modestly reduced risk of SCC.7 Aspirin use provided the greatest reduction in risk, with the greatest benefit seen among patients taking the drug for six years or less. NSAID use seemed to reduce the risk of SCC tumors with p53 or PTCH mutations,

Overexpression of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and increased prostaglandin biosynthesis are defining features of several malignancies, and correlate with carcinogenesis [23–27]. The SKICAP-AK trial revealed that NSAID use of short duration was more protective against non-melanoma skin cancers than longer duration of use [28]. A few epidemiological studies have examined the association of NSAIDs with melanoma risk and have found conflicting results [29–32] A recent case controlled study examining the association between statins and NSAID use and melanoma, demonstrated that control
                                    subjects were more likely than melanoma subjects to have reported NSAID or aspirin use for 5 years [33]. While NSAIDs have yet to demonstrate sufficient evidence to be recommended for melanoma chemoprevention, their potential role in melanoma may be directed towards adjuvant treatment of metastases rather than prevention [34].

2.2.3. Anti-oxidants
                                    Induction of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the skin by ultraviolet (UV) radiation is damaging to intracellular organelles, depletes the critical antioxidant glutathione (GSH), and ultimately promotes oncogenic mutations via oxidative DNA damage [35–38]. N-acetylcysteine (NAC), an orally bioavailable antioxidant, replenishes the pool of available GSH [39]. Topical formulations have the potential to decrease UV-mediated GSH depletion and ROS formation [40], and recent human studies support the utility of NAC in pre-UV exposure prophylaxis [41].
                                    Perillyl alcohol (POH) is a naturally occurring chemical that can slow tumor cell growth by suppressing transcription factor-mediated cell proliferation and transformation [42]. A recent phase IIa study examined reversal of actinic damage following POH vs. placebo in patients with sun-damaged skin, and showed that histopathologic score was reduced with low dose POH and that abnormal nuclei were significantly reduced with high dose POH. These compelling results warrant larger, well-controlled studies of POH as a chemopreventive agent as well as efforts to improve dermal
                                    Diet, micronutrients, and other nutritional supplements may also play a role in melanoma chemoprevention [43]. Vitamins C [44], D [45–48], and E [49–55] each have varying degrees of evidence supporting their use as chemopreventive agents. The same is true with other dietary supplements such as green tea polyphenols [56–61], selenium [62–65], curcumin [66], and lycopene [67–69]. While there are many in vitro and animal studies that indicate a possible benefit in melanoma prevention, human studies are generally lacking and do not suggest a clear clinical

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

2.2.3. Anti-oxidants

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics