The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

melanoma under a toenail

Forums General Melanoma Community melanoma under a toenail

Participant

Has anyone been diagnosed with the above, and what did it look like?  My next to little toe is completely light purple under the nail and has been that way for several months.  It hasn't been bumped or anything.  Comments??

Has anyone been diagnosed with the above, and what did it look like?  My next to little toe is completely light purple under the nail and has been that way for several months.  It hasn't been bumped or anything.  Comments??

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Often times, melanoma under a nail is just a line of coloration.  But there is no "rule" on what it should look like.  It is also easy to traumatize a toe (even if you don't remember it).  Typically, you watch the nail area.  If the colored area grows out with the nail, it is most likely trauma.  But if the coloration stays in the same spot as the nail bed grows out, then it is worth a biopsy.  It's sometimes hard to wait because toenails grow so slowly.  If you have any questions, please contact a dermatologist.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Often times, melanoma under a nail is just a line of coloration.  But there is no "rule" on what it should look like.  It is also easy to traumatize a toe (even if you don't remember it).  Typically, you watch the nail area.  If the colored area grows out with the nail, it is most likely trauma.  But if the coloration stays in the same spot as the nail bed grows out, then it is worth a biopsy.  It's sometimes hard to wait because toenails grow so slowly.  If you have any questions, please contact a dermatologist.

Best wishes,

Janner

sharmon
            Participant

Get to a good derm, get answers,  my husbands melanoma started under his toenail (big toe) in feb 2007.  We saw a derm and he misdiagnosed and said it was a fungus,  He sent us to a foot doctor and he missed it saying it was a staph infection ( it was sore by this time).  He sent us to a infectious diesease doctor who put in a pick line for antibiotics.  Nine month later I took him to a orthopedic doctor because I thought the infection was into the bone.  It looked really really bad.  He biopsied it and it was melanoma.  By now it was in his lymph nodes.  Fast forward to now. 

It is in his lungs he is stage 4 and we are into our third trial at MD Anderson and the tumors are growing again. 

Take charge and if in doubt have them cut it out!!!!  It could be your life.

barefoot partner
                Participant

My husband had a melanoma surgically removed from his back in 2006, no further treatment occurred, except regular follow up xrays. In 2010 his noticed a lump under his arm which turned out to be melanoma.  9 of 13 lymph nodes were effected. Surgery and radiation followed at MD Anderson. No further signs of disease at this time and no adjuvant care clinical trials have  been recommended. Pet scans about every 6 months and CT/brain MRI in between – all have been clear.  He is stage IIIC – so far, so good.  Other than symptoms of lymphodema in the arm, he has been symptom free for 8 months.

About a week ago, I noticed a spot under his middle toe. It looks like he bruised it, but he does not remember an injury.  Does anyone know whether after having been diagnosed with one type of melanoma, you are more likely to develop another type?

barefoot partner
                  Participant

My husband had a melanoma surgically removed from his back in 2006, no further treatment occurred, except regular follow up xrays. In 2010 his noticed a lump under his arm which turned out to be melanoma.  9 of 13 lymph nodes were effected. Surgery and radiation followed at MD Anderson. No further signs of disease at this time and no adjuvant care clinical trials have  been recommended. Pet scans about every 6 months and CT/brain MRI in between – all have been clear.  He is stage IIIC – so far, so good.  Other than symptoms of lymphodema in the arm, he has been symptom free for 8 months.

About a week ago, I noticed a spot under his middle toe. It looks like he bruised it, but he does not remember an injury.  Does anyone know whether after having been diagnosed with one type of melanoma, you are more likely to develop another type?

sharmon
                  Participant

Get to a good derm, get answers,  my husbands melanoma started under his toenail (big toe) in feb 2007.  We saw a derm and he misdiagnosed and said it was a fungus,  He sent us to a foot doctor and he missed it saying it was a staph infection ( it was sore by this time).  He sent us to a infectious diesease doctor who put in a pick line for antibiotics.  Nine month later I took him to a orthopedic doctor because I thought the infection was into the bone.  It looked really really bad.  He biopsied it and it was melanoma.  By now it was in his lymph nodes.  Fast forward to now. 

It is in his lungs he is stage 4 and we are into our third trial at MD Anderson and the tumors are growing again. 

Take charge and if in doubt have them cut it out!!!!  It could be your life.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics