The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma Stage 1 A … need some advise!

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma Stage 1 A … need some advise!

Participant

Hello, my name is Melissa. I'm a mom of a 9 month old daughter and I was just diagnosed with a 1 a Melanoma. Right now I'm very confused and worried. I had a mole checked out on my forearm a week ago and wasn't expecting these results at all. I do not now how to cope with this right now since I just lost my mother to a stage III cancer with peritoneal carcinosis. My Dermatologist keeps telling me to not worry since I caught it early. He also tells me that I do not have to go see an oncologist. He did refer me to an plastic surgeon to get more skin cut out. I was wondering if you could give me some more info? Should I go see an oncologist? Really how bad is this diagnosis? Also, I'm very fair and blonde so I have lots of moles an freckles all over the place. How do I know which ones are dangerous? How am I even able to check all of them and notice changes?

This is what my report reads

-early malignant melanoma, superficial spreading type

– possibly arising at the site of a precursor nevus

-breslow depth 0.24mm 

-clarks level II

-no ulceration present 

-dermal mitocic index zero per square millimeter

-no microsstellitosis present 

-no lymph-vascular invasion identified

-in situ melanoma closely approximately and may involve a lateral edge of the biopsy 

Really looking forward to any advise and help. Thanks. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sophietx
        Participant

Sorry that you are here. From what I know. If you are really worried than you might want to consider 2nd opinion on pathology. That's what I would do if my melanoma was invasive. Always good to have a 2nd opinion – preferably from a melanoma center. Also I would transfer your care to a melanoma center. And consider getting mole mapping. I had melanoma in situ and I am scheduled for it next month. Stage 1 has excellent prognosis. Good luck!

Sophietx
          Participant

Sorry that you are here. From what I know. If you are really worried than you might want to consider 2nd opinion on pathology. That's what I would do if my melanoma was invasive. Always good to have a 2nd opinion – preferably from a melanoma center. Also I would transfer your care to a melanoma center. And consider getting mole mapping. I had melanoma in situ and I am scheduled for it next month. Stage 1 has excellent prognosis. Good luck!

Sophietx
            Participant

JC
              Participant

the number one prognostic indicator is depth, and yours was .24. excellent prognosis

JC
                Participant

the number one prognostic indicator is depth, and yours was .24. excellent prognosis

JC
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

Oncologists generally don't see people at stage 1a because they have nothing to offer them.  Stage 1a is basically considered 'cured' after surgery.  Not to say you have 100% survival rates because stage 1a doesn't (high 90's), but there is absolutely no treatment besides surgery that can be offered to stage 1a.  And in the realm of stage 1a, yours is considered very early.

As for your other moles, monitor for change!  It's not common to have more than one melanoma primary – about 10% do.  Consider having baseline photos taken so you can monitor.   There are some derms out there that do Mole Mapping – actively taking photos and monitoring at each visit – but they are hard to find.  2nd to that is having whole body photography which gives you baseline photos you can use to monitor yours for change. 

Janner
                      Participant

Oncologists generally don't see people at stage 1a because they have nothing to offer them.  Stage 1a is basically considered 'cured' after surgery.  Not to say you have 100% survival rates because stage 1a doesn't (high 90's), but there is absolutely no treatment besides surgery that can be offered to stage 1a.  And in the realm of stage 1a, yours is considered very early.

As for your other moles, monitor for change!  It's not common to have more than one melanoma primary – about 10% do.  Consider having baseline photos taken so you can monitor.   There are some derms out there that do Mole Mapping – actively taking photos and monitoring at each visit – but they are hard to find.  2nd to that is having whole body photography which gives you baseline photos you can use to monitor yours for change. 

JC
                          Participant

and remember nothing is 100% survival.  anything can happen – car crash, incident, other illness. . . it's life, anything can happen so don't let the fact that this is not 100% survival get you down, nothing in life is 100% survival.  high 90's is pretty darn good.

JC
                            Participant

and remember nothing is 100% survival.  anything can happen – car crash, incident, other illness. . . it's life, anything can happen so don't let the fact that this is not 100% survival get you down, nothing in life is 100% survival.  high 90's is pretty darn good.

MelissaMW
                              Participant

Thank you so much for this. I just got back from the plastic surgeon today and I'm having a WLE done on the 3rd. I also did manage to find a dermatologist that does mole mapping and have an appointment for that on the 5th. Wish you all a happy new year! 

MelissaMW
                                Participant

Thank you so much for this. I just got back from the plastic surgeon today and I'm having a WLE done on the 3rd. I also did manage to find a dermatologist that does mole mapping and have an appointment for that on the 5th. Wish you all a happy new year! 

MelissaMW
                                  Participant

JC
                                    Participant

MelissaMW
                                      Participant

I was also wondering what you guys think on having a sentinel lymph node biopsy done? My surgeon doesn't seem to think it's neccassary with my diagnosis. 

jennunicorn
                                        Participant

Too invasive for such a low risk. Likely insurance would not cover either. Really no need to do SLNB for your case.

jennunicorn
                                          Participant

Too invasive for such a low risk. Likely insurance would not cover either. Really no need to do SLNB for your case.

jennunicorn
                                            Participant

MelissaMW
                                              Participant

I didn't mention that I had a shave biopsy done. I'm worried that they weren't able to determine the full depth of it. My husband says it's clear by reading the report that they were able to determine the full depth. Is that right? Should I insist on having the SLNB done anyways just to be sure because of this? Just trying to make the right the discussions here and really appreciate all the help.

MelissaMW
                                                Participant

I didn't mention that I had a shave biopsy done. I'm worried that they weren't able to determine the full depth of it. My husband says it's clear by reading the report that they were able to determine the full depth. Is that right? Should I insist on having the SLNB done anyways just to be sure because of this? Just trying to make the right the discussions here and really appreciate all the help.

MelissaMW
                                                  Participant

Janner
                                                    Participant

Shave biopsies are perfectly fine IF the deep margin is clear.  A shave biopsy with a clear deep margin is just as accurate as any other type of biopsy and would not change the determination to have a SNB.  At .24mm, most shave biopsies will have clear margins because that is so shallow.  I had a shave biopsy on my 3rd melanoma with a clear deep margin and my melanoma was .88mm.  (I did not have a SNB as my lesion was under 1mm).

Janner
                                                      Participant

Shave biopsies are perfectly fine IF the deep margin is clear.  A shave biopsy with a clear deep margin is just as accurate as any other type of biopsy and would not change the determination to have a SNB.  At .24mm, most shave biopsies will have clear margins because that is so shallow.  I had a shave biopsy on my 3rd melanoma with a clear deep margin and my melanoma was .88mm.  (I did not have a SNB as my lesion was under 1mm).

Janner
                                                        Participant

MelissaMW
                                                          Participant

Thank you Janner! Happy new year to you! 

MelissaMW
                                                            Participant

MelissaMW
                                                              Participant

MelissaMW
                                                                Participant

I was also wondering what you guys think on having a sentinel lymph node biopsy done? My surgeon doesn't seem to think it's neccassary with my diagnosis. 

MelissaMW
                                                                  Participant

Janner
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics