The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

melanoma stage 0 (in situ) 95 % cure rate?

Forums General Melanoma Community melanoma stage 0 (in situ) 95 % cure rate?

Participant

So they say that melanoma in situ (or Stage 0) is 95% curable with wide local excision……

What about the other 5%?  What would be the mechanism of it advancing  for those cases?  When asking my doctors, they have

offered that the excision may have not been done completely or that there was a delay from initial diagnosis to full WLE? Or that it really wasn't 

a stage 0 at all?  Any comments?

thanks; trying to understand this.

So they say that melanoma in situ (or Stage 0) is 95% curable with wide local excision……

What about the other 5%?  What would be the mechanism of it advancing  for those cases?  When asking my doctors, they have

offered that the excision may have not been done completely or that there was a delay from initial diagnosis to full WLE? Or that it really wasn't 

a stage 0 at all?  Any comments?

thanks; trying to understand this.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

i've always read in situ as 99+-100% survival rate. . and that anything less than 100% is probably due to mistake in pathology and really wasn't in situ

JC
          Participant

i've always read in situ as 99+-100% survival rate. . and that anything less than 100% is probably due to mistake in pathology and really wasn't in situ

JC
            Participant

lou2
              Participant

I am questioning this number.  Who is collecting figures like this?  When a person goes to one derm and then a different derm, or has melanoma with an unknown primary, why would anyone know their history and who would they be reporting this to, even if they did know the whole history?

And another question.  Why are tumors in the brain, lung, colon etc still called melanoma?  Why are those tumors different from others in the same location in people who did not start out with skin cancer? 

buffcody
                  Participant

When biopsied, these tumors in various locations show the identifying markers of melanoma.  When cancer showed up in my lung, it was not certain whether it was a metastasis of my Stage II breast cancer (2003) or original lung cancer. The analysis showed up the third correct option, metastatic melanoma primary unknown.

lou2
                    Participant

Here is a website with stats.  A Natl Cancer Institute database.  Can do a search for a particular type of cancer, by year diagnosed, age, sex, etc.

http://seer.cancer.gov/

lou2
                      Participant

Here is a website with stats.  A Natl Cancer Institute database.  Can do a search for a particular type of cancer, by year diagnosed, age, sex, etc.

lou2
                        Participant

buffcody
                          Participant

When biopsied, these tumors in various locations show the identifying markers of melanoma.  When cancer showed up in my lung, it was not certain whether it was a metastasis of my Stage II breast cancer (2003) or original lung cancer. The analysis showed up the third correct option, metastatic melanoma primary unknown.

buffcody
                            Participant

lou2
                            Participant

I am questioning this number.  Who is collecting figures like this?  When a person goes to one derm and then a different derm, or has melanoma with an unknown primary, why would anyone know their history and who would they be reporting this to, even if they did know the whole history?

And another question.  Why are tumors in the brain, lung, colon etc still called melanoma?  Why are those tumors different from others in the same location in people who did not start out with skin cancer? 

lou2
                              Participant

ekimap
                                Participant

Statistics include all melanoma patients.  You may present with stage 0 but then later get another melanoma at a greater depth which would be the cause of the metastisis. This probably accounts for much of the 5%.  Since you have a 6% chance of getting a second melanoma once you have had it.  But my Doctor said, melanoma is an unpredictable beast.  If you look at people's stories on here, many were stage 1's that metastisis, so I wouldn't say it is always that they did it wrong, just that melanoma is unpredictable!  That is why if you have had it you should be careful and watching your skin and health for the rest of your life!

Hope that helps!

cheeky

ekimap
                                  Participant

Statistics include all melanoma patients.  You may present with stage 0 but then later get another melanoma at a greater depth which would be the cause of the metastisis. This probably accounts for much of the 5%.  Since you have a 6% chance of getting a second melanoma once you have had it.  But my Doctor said, melanoma is an unpredictable beast.  If you look at people's stories on here, many were stage 1's that metastisis, so I wouldn't say it is always that they did it wrong, just that melanoma is unpredictable!  That is why if you have had it you should be careful and watching your skin and health for the rest of your life!

Hope that helps!

cheeky

ekimap
                                    Participant

Hope that helps!

cheeky

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics