The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma researcher killed in car crash

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma researcher killed in car crash

Keymaster

Her name is Estela Medrano, and she was a scientist at Baylor who focused on melanoma.  I have pasted a synopsis of her work below for those who are interested, but must confess that I have trouble finding it.

Her name is Estela Medrano, and she was a scientist at Baylor who focused on melanoma.  I have pasted a synopsis of her work below for those who are interested, but must confess that I have trouble finding it.

There exists a network of dedicated, brilliant scientists who work long hours for not a lot of pay, trying to gain further understanding into what causes melanoma.  These researchers lay the groundwork for all the clinical development that takes place, and every clinical trial had its origin in their work.  Their names will not be on the news, and they will not be interviewed for their view on melanoma.  But without them drugs that are all the rage now–ipi, PLX, etc.–wouldn't exist. 

I have been impressed with the collegiality and cooperation that is evident among this group.  We heard this evening about Estela's untimely death and my inbox is full of people expressing sympathy and a sense of loss.

She did not have melanoma, but she was a melanoma warrior, and the fight is a bit poorer for her passing.

Tim–MRF

Estela's work at Baylor:

The second project is focused on the role of the protein SKI in melanoma tumor progression. Ski encodes a nuclear protein that binds DNA in association with other proteins and can act as either an activator or repressor of transcription. Using the yeast two-hybrid system, we have demonstrated that SKI physically associates with Smad2 and Smad3, two transcriptional activators that mediate the TGF-beta response. SKI suppresses TGF-beta signaling by binding the MH2 domains of Smad2 and Smad3, and repressing promoters bound by these proteins and the common mediator Smad4. We propose that SKI functions as a potent oncogene in melanoma cells by counteracting the effect of the TGF-beta pathway that usually functions to suppress cellular transformation. We are analyzing additional SKI-protein interactions to determine their contribution to melanoma progression. Also, we have recently cloned the ski promoter to determine, by DNase foot-printing, electrophoretic mobility-band shift assays (EMSA), chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP), and reporter analysis, regulatory elements and factors involved in its activation during the malignant transformation of human melanocytes.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

Thanks for letting us know Tim. It's a sad loss for all of us.

dian

dian in spokane
          Participant

Thanks for letting us know Tim. It's a sad loss for all of us.

dian

ValinMtl
            Participant

It is never easy to lose a loved one, especially one so tragically.  My sympathies are extended to Estela's family and friends.  It is also a great loss for the fight against melanoma, her research was so obviously impressive and desperately needed.  She will be missed by many.  Val

ValinMtl
              Participant

It is never easy to lose a loved one, especially one so tragically.  My sympathies are extended to Estela's family and friends.  It is also a great loss for the fight against melanoma, her research was so obviously impressive and desperately needed.  She will be missed by many.  Val

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics