The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma patient taking Phentermine

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma patient taking Phentermine

Participant

Hi, both my sister and I are Melanoma patients. My sister is overweight ( BMI of 30) and at her last check up the doctor told her she is at risk for diabetes if she doesn't lose weight . He suggested diet and exercise after she asked him to give her something to help her lose.

Hi, both my sister and I are Melanoma patients. My sister is overweight ( BMI of 30) and at her last check up the doctor told her she is at risk for diabetes if she doesn't lose weight . He suggested diet and exercise after she asked him to give her something to help her lose. She went to a local weight loss clinic and they prescribed Phentermine- it's a psychostimulant drug in the phenethylamine class ( similar to amphetamine) and works by suppressing appetite.  A doctor runs the clinic, but he seems like it's a fly by night type deal.She insists he told her it's safe with her history of Mel- Stage 1 – 6 years ago.

I'm concerned for her and don't want her to take it as I'm afraid it will bring back her Melanoma. I know people with Melanoma take anti depressants that have similar amphetamine properties ( like Wellbutrin) but does anyone have any experience with this drug or know if it's unsafe for Melanoma patients? Thanks for any info provided.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I've never heard anything that would say Phentermine is contraindicated for melanoma patients.  Your sister, as stage I, would most likely have had everything removed via surgery.  Recurrence is unlikely this far out from her diagnosis. I've also never heard any correlation that Phentermine use increases the incidence of melanoma (a new primary).   There are really no drugs that I'm aware of that should be avoided by melanoma patients with the exception of steroids — and that topic is VERY controversial.  Short term steroid use for early stage warriors vs late stage use for management of treatment symptoms/side effects are totally different things.  The concept with steroids is that they are an immune system depressant and melanoma seems to be tied to the immune system.  Suppressing the immune system could cause latent melanoma to become active.  Some docs say no steroids whatsoever while other counter that short term use is of no consequence.  There are a few drugs that might increase the incidence of melanoma – one is a drug for Lupus that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head.  But typically, those drugs are used because there isn't a better choice to control symptoms – and dealing with the risk of melanoma is better than living with the symptoms of the other disease.. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

I've never heard anything that would say Phentermine is contraindicated for melanoma patients.  Your sister, as stage I, would most likely have had everything removed via surgery.  Recurrence is unlikely this far out from her diagnosis. I've also never heard any correlation that Phentermine use increases the incidence of melanoma (a new primary).   There are really no drugs that I'm aware of that should be avoided by melanoma patients with the exception of steroids — and that topic is VERY controversial.  Short term steroid use for early stage warriors vs late stage use for management of treatment symptoms/side effects are totally different things.  The concept with steroids is that they are an immune system depressant and melanoma seems to be tied to the immune system.  Suppressing the immune system could cause latent melanoma to become active.  Some docs say no steroids whatsoever while other counter that short term use is of no consequence.  There are a few drugs that might increase the incidence of melanoma – one is a drug for Lupus that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head.  But typically, those drugs are used because there isn't a better choice to control symptoms – and dealing with the risk of melanoma is better than living with the symptoms of the other disease.. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics