The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma on a 3 year old?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Melanoma on a 3 year old?

Participant

Hello everyone.

I have a 3 year old girl and last year (2013) around October this weird pimple appeared on her chest. It looked nothing serious, we assumed it would dissapear eventually. Except it didn't, it began to grow , particularly upward, against the skin surface in a pointy sort of way.

We made an appointment with our local Cancer league to have it removed and have a biopsy test made on it.

The thing is the biopsy results don't come until two weeks and the doctor that removed the tumor said that upon looking at it he thinks it's melanoma.

But really? Melanoma on a 3 year old? Do you know if a case like this has indeed happened somewhere? I thought that melanomas appeared at 13 years old or more, not as early as 3 years old. Actually 2 years old since it appeared last year.

Please share any info you can, my wife and me are extremely worried and need to know more about this. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        malika
        Participant

Yes, unfortunately melanomas can occur in very young kiddos.  There is a facebook group called For Parents of Children, 18 & Under.  If you contact me, I can get you connected.

My son was 8 when diagnosed.  Best advice is to get to a melanoma center that treats kids, such as MD Anderson.  My son Asa was treated at St Jude's but they don't have any clinical trials for kids under 12 at the moment.  However, they may still be a resource for you.

When we were first diagnosed, I found it frustrating how many people would say that it couldn't be melanoma because that rarely happens in kids.  Get the pathology report and we can help you go from there.

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=3d517e1dc7b8f310VgnVCM100000290115acRCRD&vgnextchannel=ef42b0cf6626f310VgnVCM100000290115acRCRD

FlakitoAJZ
            Participant

Thank you, i still don't have the pathology report but i'll make sure to post it here as soon as i get it. I hope to God the results come negative, but i still will post them here just to get a second opinion whatever the results. Thanks for your help and concern, i'll post again as soon as i have the results.

FlakitoAJZ
              Participant

Thank you, i still don't have the pathology report but i'll make sure to post it here as soon as i get it. I hope to God the results come negative, but i still will post them here just to get a second opinion whatever the results. Thanks for your help and concern, i'll post again as soon as i have the results.

FlakitoAJZ
                Participant

malika
                Participant

Yes, unfortunately melanomas can occur in very young kiddos.  There is a facebook group called For Parents of Children, 18 & Under.  If you contact me, I can get you connected.

My son was 8 when diagnosed.  Best advice is to get to a melanoma center that treats kids, such as MD Anderson.  My son Asa was treated at St Jude's but they don't have any clinical trials for kids under 12 at the moment.  However, they may still be a resource for you.

When we were first diagnosed, I found it frustrating how many people would say that it couldn't be melanoma because that rarely happens in kids.  Get the pathology report and we can help you go from there.

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=3d517e1dc7b8f310VgnVCM100000290115acRCRD&vgnextchannel=ef42b0cf6626f310VgnVCM100000290115acRCRD

malika
                  Participant

Tim–MRF

Melanoma does occur in children, but very rarely. This is why about 40% of pediatric patients are misdiagnosed or diagnosed late. For these children the melanoma is driven by some kind of genetic mutation that is not caused by the sun. It may or may not be an inherited mutation; sometimes things just go wrong when cells grow and divide.

Pathology for pedicatric lesions is very challenging and in many cases the situation is not clear at all. When you talk with your doctor yoiu may want to mention that and ask about the confidence level of the path report. You might even ask if the tissue should be evaluated by a coupjle of different people. 

Some pathologists have special training in reading skin tissue. They are called dermatopathologists, and this is the person you want reviewing this tissue. A general pathologist might be very good, but given the challenge of pediatric samples having a strong expert look the sample over is critical.

I hope you connect with the facebook group mentioned earlier. The MRF just held a meeting for families who have children with melanoma and about 100 people attended. If you have trouble connecting let me know and I can put you in touch with appropriate people.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Melanoma does occur in children, but very rarely. This is why about 40% of pediatric patients are misdiagnosed or diagnosed late. For these children the melanoma is driven by some kind of genetic mutation that is not caused by the sun. It may or may not be an inherited mutation; sometimes things just go wrong when cells grow and divide.

Pathology for pedicatric lesions is very challenging and in many cases the situation is not clear at all. When you talk with your doctor yoiu may want to mention that and ask about the confidence level of the path report. You might even ask if the tissue should be evaluated by a coupjle of different people. 

Some pathologists have special training in reading skin tissue. They are called dermatopathologists, and this is the person you want reviewing this tissue. A general pathologist might be very good, but given the challenge of pediatric samples having a strong expert look the sample over is critical.

I hope you connect with the facebook group mentioned earlier. The MRF just held a meeting for families who have children with melanoma and about 100 people attended. If you have trouble connecting let me know and I can put you in touch with appropriate people.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics