The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma of Spinal Fluid – Part Two

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma of Spinal Fluid – Part Two

Participant

After discussing the pros and cons of a spinal tap for further diagnosis my wife decided to go with the docs recommendation and not do it. Even if the tap confirmed the melanoma was in there, it would not alter the treatment protcol she is on – which is a last gasp effort anyway. The chemo she is on, Abraxane, is one he really wants to have given a good shot at slowing or halting the melanoma overall. As it is, her blood counts were down yesterday, so she was only able to get a 1/2 a dose.

After discussing the pros and cons of a spinal tap for further diagnosis my wife decided to go with the docs recommendation and not do it. Even if the tap confirmed the melanoma was in there, it would not alter the treatment protcol she is on – which is a last gasp effort anyway. The chemo she is on, Abraxane, is one he really wants to have given a good shot at slowing or halting the melanoma overall. As it is, her blood counts were down yesterday, so she was only able to get a 1/2 a dose. The idea of doing a direct port into her spinal fluid (Ommaya reservoir) was discussed but quickly dropped.

She's doing relativley well on the Abraxane; fatigue and unsteadiness being the main side effects. Of course she wanted to know if the 1/2 dose would affect her hair loss – the doc wasn't too sure it would (i.e., he thinks it will still occur on schedule). 

What this all means for her symptoms is that we stay focused on treating the pain as best we can, while hoping the chemo has some effect. Her arm and shoulder pain are being well managed by the gabapentin (nerve pain reduction med) and increased steroids. Her lower back has really started hurting quite a bit more over the last several days. Unfortunately where she indicates it hurts, is in an area she has had tomotherapy radiation, and there can be no further treatment there. So it's pointless to scan to see if it's more cancer. He said it's possible the radiation is still working and could reduce the spinal tumors there – I think that's unlikely as it has been six week since the conclusion of the tomotherapy. So he's upped the dose of gabapantin and added another anti-inflammatory and pain med. We are still in the pre-morphine zone, so that's good, but if the chemo doesn't work that is where we are headed.

To top a lousy week off, today she has a brain MRI and we meet with radiation oncologist to discuss results and game plan. 

Nick

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        mombase
        Participant

Praying for good news from the MRI today. You both deserve a lot of good news!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
          Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
            Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

o2bcheri
              Participant

Hi..

i am so distressed to hear this… 

here is a link with some hopeful info… i actually found it on this site… maybe you have already investigated..

but.. i don't want to leave any stones unturned…  

http://www.neoplas.org/index.html

prayers for Meagan… 

o2bcheri
                Participant

Hi..

here is a link with some hopeful info… i actually found it on this site… maybe you have already investigated..

prayers for Meagan… 

o2bcheri
                  Participant

Hi..

prayers for Meagan… 

BethA
                    Participant

I wasn't going to reply to any posts tonight…I didn't want to have to login!  (Now THAT is lazy!!)  But your post really got to me.  I read your profile and wanted you to know how lucky your wife is.  She has you and her sons ready, willing and able to take care of her, and that says so much about who you are.   She may be struggling with her health…but she is very blessed.  

I pray she will find relief from the pain and treatments that will work for her.  I wish you well.  Beth 3/B 

BethA
                      Participant

I wasn't going to reply to any posts tonight…I didn't want to have to login!  (Now THAT is lazy!!)  But your post really got to me.  I read your profile and wanted you to know how lucky your wife is.  She has you and her sons ready, willing and able to take care of her, and that says so much about who you are.   She may be struggling with her health…but she is very blessed.  

I pray she will find relief from the pain and treatments that will work for her.  I wish you well.  Beth 3/B 

BethA
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics