The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma of Scalp Just Diagnosed – Tiny Black Dot Was There for 6+ months and I did nothing about it!

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma of Scalp Just Diagnosed – Tiny Black Dot Was There for 6+ months and I did nothing about it!

Participant

My Mom had no idea there was a tiny black dot at the top of her head.  I only noticed it when I blew-dry her hair.  I brought it to the attention of her Derm. Mohs Surgeon two weeks ago.  Report came back melanoma.  My Mom has had 3 melanomas over 15+ years.  They were all in situ.  This one isn't.

My Mom had no idea there was a tiny black dot at the top of her head.  I only noticed it when I blew-dry her hair.  I brought it to the attention of her Derm. Mohs Surgeon two weeks ago.  Report came back melanoma.  My Mom has had 3 melanomas over 15+ years.  They were all in situ.  This one isn't.

The surgeon says it is 2.2mm deep, so she is going to do a wide and deep excision this week or next (about 2" all around).  Tomorrow I bring my Mom for blood tests and CT Scan of Abdomen, Brain, Chest, Throat, Lungs.  Oh Lord, why did I not do anything about this back in September when I first noticed it?

My Mom is 85.  Some people I'm sure will think, "Oh well, she's up there in age.  Has to go with something."  But my Mom looks, acts, feels like 65!  And I need her to have some happy years ahead–she's had a tough life with anxiety and depression (agoraphobia for years).

As I write this, I am shaking because the results of the tests won't be back for about 48 hours.

Has anyone had this experience (maybe where it did not metastisize)?  Everything I read on the Internet seems like we're doomed.

Thank you in advance.

Olivia

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Hi Olivia,

Sorry to hear about your Mom.  If you read below, I have posted about my 86 year old Dad.  He was diagnosed with a similar depth lesion (2.22mm) 5 years ago.  Unfortunately, his has metastasized but it has taken 5 years to show up in just one lymph node so far.  At that age, things tend to move slower – even cancer cells replicating.  Is she planning to have a sentinel node biopsy to see if it has spread to her lymph nodes?

Wishing you and your Mom the best,

Janner

olivia53
            Participant

Thank you, Janner.  I am very sorry to learn about your Dad's lymph node—but I am really surprised that when people get older, things like this are slower to spread. 

I don't know about a sentinel node biopsy, but I will ask the surgeon's office tomorrow when we go in for the prelim. tests.

I wish you and your Dad only good things and will keep him in my heart.  Let me (us) know how he is doing?

Thanks again for responding.

Olivia

olivia53
              Participant

Thank you, Janner.  I am very sorry to learn about your Dad's lymph node—but I am really surprised that when people get older, things like this are slower to spread. 

I don't know about a sentinel node biopsy, but I will ask the surgeon's office tomorrow when we go in for the prelim. tests.

I wish you and your Dad only good things and will keep him in my heart.  Let me (us) know how he is doing?

Thanks again for responding.

Olivia

Janner
              Participant

Hi Olivia,

Sorry to hear about your Mom.  If you read below, I have posted about my 86 year old Dad.  He was diagnosed with a similar depth lesion (2.22mm) 5 years ago.  Unfortunately, his has metastasized but it has taken 5 years to show up in just one lymph node so far.  At that age, things tend to move slower – even cancer cells replicating.  Is she planning to have a sentinel node biopsy to see if it has spread to her lymph nodes?

Wishing you and your Mom the best,

Janner

Hi Olivia,

I too can confirm, from my father's experience, that melanoma grows more slowly in the elderly — at least it did with him.  He had a very large growth under his toenail, which the doctors said had almost certainly spread.  However the SNB was negative!  They were shocked.  Several years later he had a second primary, which turned out differently, but still, be optimistic that this will be a slow one and if she is in good health she will have as many treatment options as younger people.

Good luck to you and your mother.

ellen – dad's daughter

Hi Olivia,

I too can confirm, from my father's experience, that melanoma grows more slowly in the elderly — at least it did with him.  He had a very large growth under his toenail, which the doctors said had almost certainly spread.  However the SNB was negative!  They were shocked.  Several years later he had a second primary, which turned out differently, but still, be optimistic that this will be a slow one and if she is in good health she will have as many treatment options as younger people.

Good luck to you and your mother.

ellen – dad's daughter

MARTERWAG
                Participant

Hi Olivia,

So sorry to hear about your mom.  My dad's melanoma was also on his scalp.  He is 58 years old now.  His head was itching one evening, my mom's birthday to be precise, so mom and I looked at it and we knew it was not good. 

His lesion was 1.1mm, so not as deep as your mother's, but I wanted to share that he had a wide excision done and SNB.  They removed many lymph nodes from his neck area, right behind/below his ear, and thankfully all nodes were negative.  PET  and CT scans was clear of metastasis to any other locations as well. 

That was nearly a year and a half ago.  Follow-up scans have been clear as well.  We continue to pray for clear scans and continued NED status for him.  Due to his staging he did not need any other treatment, nor was he elgible for any other treatment.

Prayers for your mother.  Waiting is the hardest.

Mary

MARTERWAG
                  Participant

Hi Olivia,

So sorry to hear about your mom.  My dad's melanoma was also on his scalp.  He is 58 years old now.  His head was itching one evening, my mom's birthday to be precise, so mom and I looked at it and we knew it was not good. 

His lesion was 1.1mm, so not as deep as your mother's, but I wanted to share that he had a wide excision done and SNB.  They removed many lymph nodes from his neck area, right behind/below his ear, and thankfully all nodes were negative.  PET  and CT scans was clear of metastasis to any other locations as well. 

That was nearly a year and a half ago.  Follow-up scans have been clear as well.  We continue to pray for clear scans and continued NED status for him.  Due to his staging he did not need any other treatment, nor was he elgible for any other treatment.

Prayers for your mother.  Waiting is the hardest.

Mary

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Reccomend having C-kit and BRAF tests run on the removed tumor.  If positive for either of these DNA tumor cell mutations there are easy to take drugs that stand a fair chance of helping if the melanoma were to ever metastise.(getting them may be a different problem)

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

Reccomend having C-kit and BRAF tests run on the removed tumor.  If positive for either of these DNA tumor cell mutations there are easy to take drugs that stand a fair chance of helping if the melanoma were to ever metastise.(getting them may be a different problem)

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics