The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma in the Knee

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma in the Knee

Participant

Has anyone ever had a melanoma mass in their knee?

Thanks!

Has anyone ever had a melanoma mass in their knee?

Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Josh
        Participant

Hey,

I had the pleasure of some knee-melanoma. Spoiler alert: it wasn't a pleasure at all. What's your question about it?

Josh

Josh
          Participant

Hey,

I had the pleasure of some knee-melanoma. Spoiler alert: it wasn't a pleasure at all. What's your question about it?

Josh

JTiernan
              Participant

Was yours on the suface or in the knee? Mine is a mass growing in the knee.  I was wondering about the treatment and what they were able to do?

Josh
                Participant

Hey J,

I'll answer your question, but since my knee melanoma doesnt exactly have a happy ending, I feel compelled to point out that yours will most likely respond much much better to treatment than mine.

I also had a mass growing in my actual knee. I think it spread there about three and a half years ago. At the time, I had radiation done at Sloan Kettering. I think it was some sort of high dosage treatment which has a very high success rate and which was done over two days. The radiation seemed to work, or at least scans showed that it was working (I don't believe I was having any symptoms, so we had to rely on the scans). Anyway, about a year later I started to have pain in my knee, so I started taking Zelboraf. The Zelboraf got rid of my knee pain lickity split, however a year later the pain started again and very quickly got worse. The doctors were afraid that the tumor would fracture the bone, so a year ago I had a full knee removal surgery. They took quite a bit, including some shin bone and about 6 inches of femur. They also took a lot of the muscles and ligaments which would be kept during a non-cancer knee replacement. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it's the only thing I've gone through in this whole ordeal which has really changed my life in a negative way. I live in New York City and used to love taking walks, but now the more I walk the more pain I'm in. It's a sucky surgery which should be avoided at all costs. Currently, I've been posting things on this site mostly fueled by the fact that my knee has started to hurt a lot lately (as much as it hurt immediately after the surgery) and is making me think that something else might be growing. Actually things have gotten a bit better the past two weeks, so I won't really know what's going on until I get scanned in a month. 

Anyway, the chances are ridiculously good that you'll avoid my entire knee-path. In fact, since I already went through it, the odds are that you'll have an entirely different (and better) experience.

Best of luck!

Josh

JTiernan
                  Participant
                    Hi Josh,
                    Thanks so much for the information. I met with the orthopedic surgeon today at Syvestor. The next step is to schedule my surgery for the removal of the mass. He thought that the chances were slim that it was melanoma. It could be a fatty tumor or several other types of cancer. We won’t know until the biopsy. I’m voting for the fatty tumor.
                    It sounds like you have had a incredible journey with all of this. I pray that you find complete recovery and hopefully can walk without pain again.
                    It’s such a crazy disease. Mine was originally on my shoulder and had spread to my lymph nodes under my arm. That was 2007. In 2011 it had spread to my lung. I had half my lung removed and have had clear scans since until now. Seems like I’m always looking over my shoulder so to speak. I have met a lot of amazing people and have been blessed with support. I still wish it was 2007 and I had never heard of melanoma…
                    Please know that I will pray for you and wish you all the best.
                    Xo,
                    Jean
                    JTiernan
                    Participant
                      Hi Josh,
                      Thanks so much for the information. I met with the orthopedic surgeon today at Syvestor. The next step is to schedule my surgery for the removal of the mass. He thought that the chances were slim that it was melanoma. It could be a fatty tumor or several other types of cancer. We won’t know until the biopsy. I’m voting for the fatty tumor.
                      It sounds like you have had a incredible journey with all of this. I pray that you find complete recovery and hopefully can walk without pain again.
                      It’s such a crazy disease. Mine was originally on my shoulder and had spread to my lymph nodes under my arm. That was 2007. In 2011 it had spread to my lung. I had half my lung removed and have had clear scans since until now. Seems like I’m always looking over my shoulder so to speak. I have met a lot of amazing people and have been blessed with support. I still wish it was 2007 and I had never heard of melanoma…
                      Xo,
                      Jean
                      JTiernan
                      Participant
                        Hi Josh,
                        Xo,
                        Jean
                        Josh
                        Participant

Hey J,

I'll answer your question, but since my knee melanoma doesnt exactly have a happy ending, I feel compelled to point out that yours will most likely respond much much better to treatment than mine.

I also had a mass growing in my actual knee. I think it spread there about three and a half years ago. At the time, I had radiation done at Sloan Kettering. I think it was some sort of high dosage treatment which has a very high success rate and which was done over two days. The radiation seemed to work, or at least scans showed that it was working (I don't believe I was having any symptoms, so we had to rely on the scans). Anyway, about a year later I started to have pain in my knee, so I started taking Zelboraf. The Zelboraf got rid of my knee pain lickity split, however a year later the pain started again and very quickly got worse. The doctors were afraid that the tumor would fracture the bone, so a year ago I had a full knee removal surgery. They took quite a bit, including some shin bone and about 6 inches of femur. They also took a lot of the muscles and ligaments which would be kept during a non-cancer knee replacement. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it's the only thing I've gone through in this whole ordeal which has really changed my life in a negative way. I live in New York City and used to love taking walks, but now the more I walk the more pain I'm in. It's a sucky surgery which should be avoided at all costs. Currently, I've been posting things on this site mostly fueled by the fact that my knee has started to hurt a lot lately (as much as it hurt immediately after the surgery) and is making me think that something else might be growing. Actually things have gotten a bit better the past two weeks, so I won't really know what's going on until I get scanned in a month. 

Anyway, the chances are ridiculously good that you'll avoid my entire knee-path. In fact, since I already went through it, the odds are that you'll have an entirely different (and better) experience.

Best of luck!

Josh

Josh
                          Participant

Hey J,

Best of luck!

Josh

JTiernan
                            Participant

Was yours on the suface or in the knee? Mine is a mass growing in the knee.  I was wondering about the treatment and what they were able to do?

JTiernan
                              Participant

Josh
                              Participant

Hey,

Josh

Frannie55
                                Participant

This is very interesting to read. My PET scans have shown that I have "uptake" in my left knee, but my onc says that it is probably due to post surgical "something". I had a mole removed from the side of my knee which was atypical, but not melanoma. A year later I was diagnosed with mm in a node in my groin on that same leg. That was removed and then later more nodes were removed in my pelvis. I had the surgeon take a sample of the tissue surrounding the area where the mole was removed. They found no evidence of mm. I have considerable swelling in that leg due to lymphadema and have pain in my knee. I am wondering now if I should insist on a biopsy of that knee.

I hope you turn out OK with the decision you make.

JTiernan
                                    Participant

HI Fannie, 

Thanks for your reply. Mine showed a uptake in the knee that had grown 50 % since a PET scan a year ago. Then My oncologists ordered a MRI of the knee. They still cannot tell what the mass is so I am having it removed Feb 1st. If you are at all conserened I would ask for a MRI so that they can take a closer look.

Stay Well,

Jean

JTiernan
                                      Participant

HI Fannie, 

Thanks for your reply. Mine showed a uptake in the knee that had grown 50 % since a PET scan a year ago. Then My oncologists ordered a MRI of the knee. They still cannot tell what the mass is so I am having it removed Feb 1st. If you are at all conserened I would ask for a MRI so that they can take a closer look.

Stay Well,

Jean

JTiernan
                                        Participant

HI Fannie, 

Stay Well,

Jean

Frannie55
                                        Participant

This is very interesting to read. My PET scans have shown that I have "uptake" in my left knee, but my onc says that it is probably due to post surgical "something". I had a mole removed from the side of my knee which was atypical, but not melanoma. A year later I was diagnosed with mm in a node in my groin on that same leg. That was removed and then later more nodes were removed in my pelvis. I had the surgeon take a sample of the tissue surrounding the area where the mole was removed. They found no evidence of mm. I have considerable swelling in that leg due to lymphadema and have pain in my knee. I am wondering now if I should insist on a biopsy of that knee.

Frannie55
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics