The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma In Situ

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma In Situ

Participant

My husband was recently diagnosed with melanoma on his face, close to his eye. We went to Moffitt where we were told what the next steps would be….procedure to remove tissue to check margins. After the margins were clear he would have surgery to remove the tumor and possibly need a skin graft. Well, 6 days later, on our ride to Tampa (only 45 minutes) we get a call that the margins were not clear and more samples would need to be taken and surgery postponed. My husband is not a whimp but both of these procedures were terrible for him, just a local, meaning injections in his face, close to his eye. Why can't they give him something…..he will be out for surgery. Now the doctor is saying the area is larger, not necessarily deeper but  very likely grafting will be necessary. He will take it from around his upper chest. We are both fairly intelligent people, but I just feel like we haven't asked all the right questions. We really have no idea what to expect regarding recuperation, etc. Any advice ? 

Thank you!

imd

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies

I have stage IV BRAF positive tmelanoma that is under control for three years almost. Now i am having wild type melanoma attack me, mostly on my face. Although i just as soon would not have my face carved on, time and time again, it pleases me to get rid of every cell of this killer. My largest one was close to my eye also and i agee it is not pleasant to have those needles, cuts and stitches go in, but i just think about those velvety cushioned and commodious coffins, with nice cherry wood, and two hinged doors while my life savers go about it.

I would rather wear the funny hat and gown with the bright lights on me, and the smoke from the cauterizing knife curling up, with loving people acting in concert to help save me. Sometimes i pretend it is happening to someone else, like those monks who used to beat charity into me. Seems to help me. I do the same thing when i am in the cigar tube of the MRI looking for melanoma migrants in my brain, except i think about how my fat friends would do in there, and they tell me to hold still and stop laughing. Just tell him so set his sails on living and let them work their magic.

I have stage IV BRAF positive tmelanoma that is under control for three years almost. Now i am having wild type melanoma attack me, mostly on my face. Although i just as soon would not have my face carved on, time and time again, it pleases me to get rid of every cell of this killer. My largest one was close to my eye also and i agee it is not pleasant to have those needles, cuts and stitches go in, but i just think about those velvety cushioned and commodious coffins, with nice cherry wood, and two hinged doors while my life savers go about it.

I would rather wear the funny hat and gown with the bright lights on me, and the smoke from the cauterizing knife curling up, with loving people acting in concert to help save me. Sometimes i pretend it is happening to someone else, like those monks who used to beat charity into me. Seems to help me. I do the same thing when i am in the cigar tube of the MRI looking for melanoma migrants in my brain, except i think about how my fat friends would do in there, and they tell me to hold still and stop laughing. Just tell him so set his sails on living and let them work their magic.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics