The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

melanoma in situ pathology report

Forums General Melanoma Community melanoma in situ pathology report

Participant
      Hi.
      I have a question about my path report.
      from what i,ve read mine does not include mention of most of the item talked about or read about
      Online. It is from Columbia dermatpathology NYC.
      It reads: ” I interpret this as in situ melanoma, possibly arising in a dysplastic nevis.
      The lesion extends to one peripheral margin in the plane of bisection.”
      This was ashave biopsy.
      Micro: the specimen is bisected and shows confluent junctional melanocytic nests as well as many
      Single melanocytes extending upward within the epidermis.

Is this sufficient? I,m puzzled that thi eas all that was written.
      Appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

What are you expecting it to say?  I'm unclear on that.  In situ melanoma has it's own implied definitions and maybe that's what you are missing.  In Situ means Clark's Level 1 and Breslow 0.  The melanoma is totally confined to the epidermis and therefore has no depth.  Breslow depth is determined from the epidermal/dermal junction downward into the layers of skin.

Melanoma in situ has an extremely high survival rate and surgery obtaining at least 5mm margins will be your next step.  After that, watch the scar area for any pigment regrowth, watch your other moles for change, and practice sun safety.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

What are you expecting it to say?  I'm unclear on that.  In situ melanoma has it's own implied definitions and maybe that's what you are missing.  In Situ means Clark's Level 1 and Breslow 0.  The melanoma is totally confined to the epidermis and therefore has no depth.  Breslow depth is determined from the epidermal/dermal junction downward into the layers of skin.

Melanoma in situ has an extremely high survival rate and surgery obtaining at least 5mm margins will be your next step.  After that, watch the scar area for any pigment regrowth, watch your other moles for change, and practice sun safety.

Best wishes,

Janner

nancy mary
              Participant
                Thankyou for responding.
                I think I WAS concerned because i had had that spot on my foot for years and the report said ” possibly” arising from a dysplastic nevis.
                That mole i told my dr., a few years back had gotten red or inflamed at one point and seemed to peel off and disappear, but then was there after the process or spot healed and looked tthe same as always.
                So i had concerns about the regression phenomena.
                How this was discvered was in dec. I thought it might appear to be very subtly getting a bit bigger. It was 5 to 6 mm.
                So was this amole to begin with that changed recently or always an insitu or worse— a regressed lesion.
                My doctor said if there was any evidence of regression they would have stated it in th path report.
                Sorry for tyypos— ona tablet. Thanks
                Janner
                Participant

I've looked at a lot of pathology reports over the years.  If it isn't stated directly, it wasn't seen.  Some reports are more verbose than others.  Some even include a "checklist" of features.  Most don't.  If regression was seen, it would have been noted.  And if there was major regression, the lesion most likely would have been fading or getting smaller or missing parts of it.  I've had several normal looking moles just fade.  That is regression and it's a normal process and happens in normal moles.

About 50% of melanomas arise from an existing mole. I have also had moles that got irritated but went back to "normal" later.  Whether this arose from a mole or not really doesn't change much in the scheme of things.  Most lesions "evolve" and if this was on a spot you've had for a long time, I think it's pretty easy to assume it was started in an existing nevus and had started to change from there.

If this still has you worried, you can always have the slides sent out for a second opinion on the pathology.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

I've looked at a lot of pathology reports over the years.  If it isn't stated directly, it wasn't seen.  Some reports are more verbose than others.  Some even include a "checklist" of features.  Most don't.  If regression was seen, it would have been noted.  And if there was major regression, the lesion most likely would have been fading or getting smaller or missing parts of it.  I've had several normal looking moles just fade.  That is regression and it's a normal process and happens in normal moles.

About 50% of melanomas arise from an existing mole. I have also had moles that got irritated but went back to "normal" later.  Whether this arose from a mole or not really doesn't change much in the scheme of things.  Most lesions "evolve" and if this was on a spot you've had for a long time, I think it's pretty easy to assume it was started in an existing nevus and had started to change from there.

If this still has you worried, you can always have the slides sent out for a second opinion on the pathology.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                    Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

nancy mary
                      Participant
                        Thankyou for responding.
                        I think I WAS concerned because i had had that spot on my foot for years and the report said ” possibly” arising from a dysplastic nevis.
                        That mole i told my dr., a few years back had gotten red or inflamed at one point and seemed to peel off and disappear, but then was there after the process or spot healed and looked tthe same as always.
                        How this was discvered was in dec. I thought it might appear to be very subtly getting a bit bigger. It was 5 to 6 mm.
                        So was this amole to begin with that changed recently or always an insitu or worse— a regressed lesion.
                        My doctor said if there was any evidence of regression they would have stated it in th path report.
                        nancy mary
                        Participant
                          Thankyou for responding.
                        Janner
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

nancy mary
                          Participant
                            Thanks much!
                            Helps me to understand better. My doctor said same that I could have slides looked at elsewhere. My doctor seemed annoyed that I was even questioning…
                            nancy mary
                            Participant
                              Thanks much!
                              Helps me to understand better. My doctor said same that I could have slides looked at elsewhere. My doctor seemed annoyed that I was even questioning…
                              nancy mary
                              Participant
                                Thanks much!
                                  Janner
                                  Participant

In the whole scheme of things, an in situ melanoma isn't that serious compared to other melanoma lesions a doctor encounters.  I think it is easy for them to brush off your concerns because they really know the long term prognosis for you is extremely good.  However, that doesn't help you when newly diagnosed and your shock and fear factors are high.  You have valid questions and concerns and if your doctor isn't willing to give you time, answers and consideration, I might consider another doctor.  You want one who works WITH you, not one who isn't considerate of your concerns.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                    Participant

In the whole scheme of things, an in situ melanoma isn't that serious compared to other melanoma lesions a doctor encounters.  I think it is easy for them to brush off your concerns because they really know the long term prognosis for you is extremely good.  However, that doesn't help you when newly diagnosed and your shock and fear factors are high.  You have valid questions and concerns and if your doctor isn't willing to give you time, answers and consideration, I might consider another doctor.  You want one who works WITH you, not one who isn't considerate of your concerns.

Best wishes,

Janner

nancy mary
                                      Participant
                                        You bet!
                                        Thankyou so much.
                                        That is how I felt frightened. But I know its nothing in comparison to what others deal with……
                                        I wish everyone well. Strength, peace, and successful treatment,with compassion and kindness.
                                        Nancy
                                        nancy mary
                                        Participant
                                          You bet!
                                          Thankyou so much.
                                          That is how I felt frightened. But I know its nothing in comparison to what others deal with……
                                          I wish everyone well. Strength, peace, and successful treatment,with compassion and kindness.
                                          Nancy
                                          nancy mary
                                          Participant
                                            You bet!
                                            Thankyou so much.
                                            Nancy
                                            Janner
                                            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics