The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma In Situ

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma In Situ

Participant
      Just diagnosed and confused as to how they determine in situ status from a shave biopsy?

My path report states:

Diagnosis
      Skin, left posterior shoulder:
      -Melanoma in situ, superficial spreading pattern, present at peripherial margin

Peter George Pavlidakey MD
      (The Gross/Microscopic exams or the Gross Only specimen have been reviewed
      and interpreted by the undersigned pathologist)
      (Electronically signed by)
      Verified: 07/01/19 16:22
      PGP/PGP

Pathologist Comment
      A sox-10 immunostain and multiple deeper level sections fails to reveal a invasive component.
      The findings were discussed with Dr Kole on 7/1/19.

Specimen ID
      Left posterior shoulder
      Clinical Information
      Asymmetric brown macule on left posterior shoulder, lentigo vs nevus vs melanoma
      Gross Description
      The specimen is received in a single container of formalin labeled patient’s name, medical record number and is designated “left posterior shoulder”. Received is a tan dark brown shave of skin measuring 0.8 x 0.7 x 0.1 cm. The surgical margin is inked black. The specimen is bisected and submitted entirely in cassette A1.
      UABDERM
      James Moreno, BS/Peter George Pavlidakey, MD
      6/27/2019 12:19:30 CDT

I am having a wide excision next week and have been told that should be all that is needed along with 3 month follow ups.

Thanks for any feedback!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        EllieS
        Participant
          Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
          I encourage you to ask if your tissues was sent for genetic testing, especially for BRAF mutation. It would be very helpful information for future treatment options.
          Will you be following up with an oncologist who specializes in melanoma? The protocols are changing fast.
          Sending light your way,
          Ellie

Ellie S

Sandaman3
            Participant
              Ellie,

Thanks for the response. I am not sure if my sample was sent for BRAF testing but I doubt it was. It looks like the protocol is not to send it without advanced disease.

Do you normally see it tested with in situ? Does BRAF testing tell you if you will have a higher chance of metastatic disease?

In looking at posts here and feedback from my derm The diagnosis is 99-100 % survival at 5 years. With that said the derm wants to see me every 3 months for at least 2 years.

Sandaman3
            Participant
              Update from my earlier post. I had a WLE to .5 cm margins and the pathology came back with melanoma in situ at all margins. The surgeon said it was “statistically “ unlikely that this would happen but it did so they will go back in and take out wider margins.

How common is this and should I be concerned about the breadth of the melanoma spread? Also, would this make it more likely that melanoma is growing elsewhere on my body simultaneously?

Thanks for any responses.

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics