The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma in situ

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma in situ

Participant

Hello,

I was just diagnosed with melanoma in situ in the US. I looked at my old photos and notice that my mole started after my 2nd pregnancy about 12 years ago at age 28. It was a perfect looking, round but very dark flat mole. It was removed and also had WLE at large hospital center. Do all melanomas in situ progress to invasive melanoma? My father had many dark moles and I just assumed it's after him. Should I have 2nd pathology done?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Sorry you had to join us here.  Actually, it is thought that not all melanoma in situs progress.  However, men over 60 are the largest group to get melanoma so it never hurts to have your father see a derm.  Have any of his moles CHANGED?  Those are the concerning ones – the ugly duckling!  As for a second opinion, it's up to you.  If the pathology was read by a dermatopathologist who sees a lot of melanoma, then probably not necessary.  But it's totally up to you and your comfort level.

Janner
          Participant

Sorry you had to join us here.  Actually, it is thought that not all melanoma in situs progress.  However, men over 60 are the largest group to get melanoma so it never hurts to have your father see a derm.  Have any of his moles CHANGED?  Those are the concerning ones – the ugly duckling!  As for a second opinion, it's up to you.  If the pathology was read by a dermatopathologist who sees a lot of melanoma, then probably not necessary.  But it's totally up to you and your comfort level.

Janner
            Participant

Sophietx
                Participant

Thank you! You are correct that this mole did grow over time. It started at 28 years as a dot and made it to about 4-5 mm over time. It was the ugly duckling you are describing – darker than all my other moles. My other moles grew probably by 1-2 mm over 12 years. And this one was new and doubled the size during this time.

stars
                  Participant

My freckles that turned out to be melanoma all changed around pregnancy as well. I think during pregnancy your immune system shuts down for a bit to enable foetus to grow/not be rejected… and that can be a time that melanoma forms. Just my opinion, not a medical opinion.

Sophietx
                    Participant

I do believe my melanoma in situ started the year after 2 pregnancy. Since it was up on my chest. I could document it on many photos. There is a dark dot on the place when my son turned 1. It slowly grew over 12 years to about 4 mm. I wonder was it in situ the whole time? Why was it so slow growing? Or is 4 mm in 12 years fast?

Sophietx
                      Participant

I had genetic testing done in the US for panel of cancers including Melanoma. And no link.

Sophietx
                        Participant

I had genetic testing done in the US for panel of cancers including Melanoma. And no link.

Sophietx
                          Participant

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Everyone's melanoma growth is different. Some grow very slow, some faster, some only grow outward like yours and stay in the outer layer of skin (in situ) and some stay small on the outside but grown down and deep. It varies greatly. You're on the best end of that spectrum, glad you got it removed and will be vigilant with your family getting their skin monitered.

Happy Thanksgiving ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Everyone's melanoma growth is different. Some grow very slow, some faster, some only grow outward like yours and stay in the outer layer of skin (in situ) and some stay small on the outside but grown down and deep. It varies greatly. You're on the best end of that spectrum, glad you got it removed and will be vigilant with your family getting their skin monitered.

Happy Thanksgiving ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                                Participant

Happy Thanksgiving ๐Ÿ™‚

stars
                                  Participant

Me too, if I look back at my wedding photos I can see a smallish freckle – after three years that had turned into a larger, light speckly freckle that turned out to be a very thin melanoma (not in situ, unfortunately). There's been a few people diagnosed because of photos or film – like this swimmer in Australia:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/22/health/australia-swimmer-mack-horton-mole/

stars
                                    Participant

Me too, if I look back at my wedding photos I can see a smallish freckle – after three years that had turned into a larger, light speckly freckle that turned out to be a very thin melanoma (not in situ, unfortunately). There's been a few people diagnosed because of photos or film – like this swimmer in Australia:

Sophietx
                                      Participant

Thanks Jenn! Hope you had nice Thanksgiving if you are in the US

Sophietx
                                        Participant

Sophietx
                                          Participant

Sophietx
                                            Participant

It's great that it's thin melanoma. Has this swimmer been also diagnosed with Melanoma. I am dissapointed in dermatologists. It seem reading the posts here that so many times melanoma has been misdiagnosed for long time. I had this mole for 12 years and it remained the same just was getting bigger over time. I have had more than 3 visits with a dermatologis for regular skin check. 

Crazy – I am returning from the Caribbean today and taking my son on Monday. He has like 5 big moles few black ones on his head and face. We are leaving vacation with almost no tan:-) it wasn't that hard. We took a break around lunch time and used a lot of sun screan and other protection.

Sophietx
                                              Participant

It's great that it's thin melanoma. Has this swimmer been also diagnosed with Melanoma. I am dissapointed in dermatologists. It seem reading the posts here that so many times melanoma has been misdiagnosed for long time. I had this mole for 12 years and it remained the same just was getting bigger over time. I have had more than 3 visits with a dermatologis for regular skin check. 

Crazy – I am returning from the Caribbean today and taking my son on Monday. He has like 5 big moles few black ones on his head and face. We are leaving vacation with almost no tan:-) it wasn't that hard. We took a break around lunch time and used a lot of sun screan and other protection.

Sophietx
                                                Participant

stars
                                                  Participant

Sophietx
                                                    Participant

I do believe my melanoma in situ started the year after 2 pregnancy. Since it was up on my chest. I could document it on many photos. There is a dark dot on the place when my son turned 1. It slowly grew over 12 years to about 4 mm. I wonder was it in situ the whole time? Why was it so slow growing? Or is 4 mm in 12 years fast?

Sophietx
                                                      Participant

stars
                                                        Participant

My freckles that turned out to be melanoma all changed around pregnancy as well. I think during pregnancy your immune system shuts down for a bit to enable foetus to grow/not be rejected… and that can be a time that melanoma forms. Just my opinion, not a medical opinion.

stars
                                                          Participant

Sophietx
                                                            Participant

Thank you! You are correct that this mole did grow over time. It started at 28 years as a dot and made it to about 4-5 mm over time. It was the ugly duckling you are describing – darker than all my other moles. My other moles grew probably by 1-2 mm over 12 years. And this one was new and doubled the size during this time.

Sophietx
                                                              Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics