The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma in Situ

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma in Situ

Participant

Hi all, I am 36 male who recently was diagnosed with melanoma in situ on my back. I had a surgery and the margins were clear. My dermatologist says I need to see her on regular basis for skin check ups. Please advise. Thank you. Eric

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        CHD
        Participant

Hi Eric, truly if you must have melanoma, in situ is the kind to have as it considered stage 0 melanoma and is very low risk for local recurrence or spread.  Did you have any specific questions for us?  What you need is to have it removed with clear margins, which you have done, and be sure to follow up with your dermatologist regularly for skin checks.  Be safe in the sun.  Take care!

CHD
          Participant

Hi Eric, truly if you must have melanoma, in situ is the kind to have as it considered stage 0 melanoma and is very low risk for local recurrence or spread.  Did you have any specific questions for us?  What you need is to have it removed with clear margins, which you have done, and be sure to follow up with your dermatologist regularly for skin checks.  Be safe in the sun.  Take care!

CHD
            Participant

stars
              Participant

Hi – my advice is you dodged a bullet, it's a shock for you but so great that its in situ – hopefully the last brush you have with melanoma. Like your doc says, regular skin checks from here on in. But celebrate your good news (it may not seem like it, but if you must have melanoma then in situ is exactly what you want to have).

Stars

stars
                Participant

Hi – my advice is you dodged a bullet, it's a shock for you but so great that its in situ – hopefully the last brush you have with melanoma. Like your doc says, regular skin checks from here on in. But celebrate your good news (it may not seem like it, but if you must have melanoma then in situ is exactly what you want to have).

Stars

stars
                  Participant

Stars

kathycmc
                    Participant

I had melanoma in situ on my back 41 years ago.  Had WLE with skin graft and have had yearly skin checks since.  Have had many moles removed and biopsied since but all have been benign.  I recommend you stay vigilant about doing your own skin checks and being seen by a dermatologist but otherwise just continue to enjoy your life.

JC
                        Participant

i would love to hear stories of people who had Stage I 41 years ago and have been fine ever since.  don't hear enough of those stories but it helps to

JC
                          Participant

i would love to hear stories of people who had Stage I 41 years ago and have been fine ever since.  don't hear enough of those stories but it helps to

JC
                            Participant

kathycmc
                            Participant

I had melanoma in situ on my back 41 years ago.  Had WLE with skin graft and have had yearly skin checks since.  Have had many moles removed and biopsied since but all have been benign.  I recommend you stay vigilant about doing your own skin checks and being seen by a dermatologist but otherwise just continue to enjoy your life.

kathycmc
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics