The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma in a second site found

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma in a second site found

Participant

I wrote here earlier this month about a large melanoma site on my back. It is healing now, and I've returned to the dermatologist. He looked me over, found several suspicious sites, used cryosurgery on six of them and biopsied two. One came back as melanoma and one as squamous. Both were sites I'd asked him about during that first visit, and for both he said they looked like skin irritations.

I'll be back to the surgeon for slow Moh's on the squamous, and excision on the melanoma. Is it common to find melanoma in two separate sites?

I wrote here earlier this month about a large melanoma site on my back. It is healing now, and I've returned to the dermatologist. He looked me over, found several suspicious sites, used cryosurgery on six of them and biopsied two. One came back as melanoma and one as squamous. Both were sites I'd asked him about during that first visit, and for both he said they looked like skin irritations.

I'll be back to the surgeon for slow Moh's on the squamous, and excision on the melanoma. Is it common to find melanoma in two separate sites?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Minnesota
        Participant

My friend has had 3 primaries, and you can also read Janner's profile here. It's not common according to Janner, she knows the exact number, it's around 7%.

One good thing about my close friend is that each one has been smaller than the last. She also had many squamous sites due to years of indoor tanning.

Minnesota
          Participant

My friend has had 3 primaries, and you can also read Janner's profile here. It's not common according to Janner, she knows the exact number, it's around 7%.

One good thing about my close friend is that each one has been smaller than the last. She also had many squamous sites due to years of indoor tanning.

chalknpens
              Participant

Thanks for answering. I've spent decades avoiding the bright sunlight and its heat – I am heat intolerant  due to multiple sclerosis. I guess I have the melanoma due to one sunburn in my teens. We did spend many summer days as young children on the beach, in the 1950's, before SPF sunscreen was invented or even considered.

I'll look for Janner's profile here. No one else in my family has had melanoma. No one else had multiple sclerosis, either.

Minnesota
                Participant

I am like you, I have been very careful in the sun. I am becoming more convinced that my melanoma came from 10 years of corticosteroids for autoimmune disease, as well as other immunosuppressants like CelCept. Maybe you have also had to take these types of medications for MS?

I hope you are doing well and that is the last found. 

chalknpens
                  Participant

I did take a nightly injection of the synthetic Copaxone (not an interferon, as the other choices all were.) Interferons would have caused the every other day flu symptoms (as they were injected every other day, not every day.) But like the interferons, its job was to confuse my immune system, acting as a decoy to attract the T-cells and 'quiet' them so they would not attack my central nervous system. I did that for four and a half years, with great misgivings as the scientists themselves admitted they did not know definitely that MS was an autoimmune disorder. Others argued that it is a metabolic disorder. I grew more and more depressed because of my misgivings and disbelief; I finally stopped last fall, immediately felt better, whether psychologically or physically.

The melanoma sites both began to be visible three years ago; both are atypical, and I tried to ignore them until a nurse and good friend in Bethesda's NIH encouraged me to go to a dermatologist.

A higher incidence of melanoma is now connected to the interferons, but not yet to the synthetic alternative. I will let the FDA know of my experience, to add to their statistics.

chalknpens
                    Participant

I did take a nightly injection of the synthetic Copaxone (not an interferon, as the other choices all were.) Interferons would have caused the every other day flu symptoms (as they were injected every other day, not every day.) But like the interferons, its job was to confuse my immune system, acting as a decoy to attract the T-cells and 'quiet' them so they would not attack my central nervous system. I did that for four and a half years, with great misgivings as the scientists themselves admitted they did not know definitely that MS was an autoimmune disorder. Others argued that it is a metabolic disorder. I grew more and more depressed because of my misgivings and disbelief; I finally stopped last fall, immediately felt better, whether psychologically or physically.

The melanoma sites both began to be visible three years ago; both are atypical, and I tried to ignore them until a nurse and good friend in Bethesda's NIH encouraged me to go to a dermatologist.

A higher incidence of melanoma is now connected to the interferons, but not yet to the synthetic alternative. I will let the FDA know of my experience, to add to their statistics.

chalknpens
                      Participant

Minnesota
                        Participant

I am like you, I have been very careful in the sun. I am becoming more convinced that my melanoma came from 10 years of corticosteroids for autoimmune disease, as well as other immunosuppressants like CelCept. Maybe you have also had to take these types of medications for MS?

Minnesota
                          Participant

chalknpens
                            Participant

Thanks for answering. I've spent decades avoiding the bright sunlight and its heat – I am heat intolerant  due to multiple sclerosis. I guess I have the melanoma due to one sunburn in my teens. We did spend many summer days as young children on the beach, in the 1950's, before SPF sunscreen was invented or even considered.

I'll look for Janner's profile here. No one else in my family has had melanoma. No one else had multiple sclerosis, either.

chalknpens
                              Participant

Minnesota
                              Participant

AngelaM
                                Participant

Hi there

This would be a second primary melanoma, and yes it is very possible but the question of it being common or not is unclear in my opinion. A lot of people get multiple primaries where I live, though the research suggests that only around 8% get a second melanoma, and even fewer get a third. I personally don't think the stats are correct. I have had 3 primaries in 3 years, all on completely different parts of my body and all found within a few months of each other (up to a year apart). My doctors don't agree with the stats – they say that in their experience approx 1/3 rd of their melanoma patients get multiple primaries. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked the question. They basically expect anybody that's already had one to get another one. However, I must state that I'm not in the US like most of the people on these forums – so who knows.

Good luck and keep getting your skin checked on a frequent basis

Angela

chalknpens
                                    Participant

Thank you, Angela. It is reassuring to hear 1/3 rather than 8%. Are  your three all stage 1?

chalknpens
                                      Participant

Thank you, Angela. It is reassuring to hear 1/3 rather than 8%. Are  your three all stage 1?

chalknpens
                                        Participant

JC
                                          Participant

Actually, to me, it's not reassuring at all to hear that it's more like 33% rather than 8%.  That's way more worrisome about multiples happening.

JC
                                            Participant

Actually, to me, it's not reassuring at all to hear that it's more like 33% rather than 8%.  That's way more worrisome about multiples happening.

JC
                                              Participant

AngelaM
                                                Participant

Well that's obviously not an official stat. It's not published, and it's not the accepted theory – it's just what my doctor's have told me is their own finding.

AngelaM
                                                  Participant

Well that's obviously not an official stat. It's not published, and it's not the accepted theory – it's just what my doctor's have told me is their own finding.

AngelaM
                                                    Participant

AngelaM
                                                      Participant

Mine have all been stage 1 so far (in-situ; 0.24mm Clark II, 0.45mm Clark III) and waiting for the next one! My check-ups are 8 weeks apart.

AngelaM
                                                        Participant

Mine have all been stage 1 so far (in-situ; 0.24mm Clark II, 0.45mm Clark III) and waiting for the next one! My check-ups are 8 weeks apart.

AngelaM
                                                          Participant

chalknpens
                                                            Participant

I guess I thought being more common meant being less rare, and so maybe less dangerous. But I'm new at all this, still learning the vocabulary. I don't know all the acronyms for treatment yet, but will look them up as I come across them here.

I'm on a three month schedule, but I pushed this one to six weeks because of my anxiety levels increasing as I waited to hear whether there was more (and there was.) No one has discussed 'mole mapping' with me yet. I'm not sure what 'nevi' means yet, but will look it up.

My first site, on my back, did not involve a mole, but rather a widespread flat light pink rash (about the size of my hand) and was seen by two doctors before the third decided to biopsy it, out of curiosity. All were surprised that it was melanomoa in situ, with 'appendageal involvement' and eventually, through slow Moh surgery over four visits in ten days reached clear margins. The wound was then about the diameter of a coffee cup or baseball, and was sutured closed in a Z pattern that is about six inches long. Very dramatic looking, but they said "just superficial, not to worry."

This second one was also seen by three doctors and not considered significant until I had the biopsy this week and they found it was 'early melanoma' and just superficial. I'll know more after the surgery next week, and pray it will be only one cutting instead of three like last time.

chalknpens
                                                              Participant

I guess I thought being more common meant being less rare, and so maybe less dangerous. But I'm new at all this, still learning the vocabulary. I don't know all the acronyms for treatment yet, but will look them up as I come across them here.

I'm on a three month schedule, but I pushed this one to six weeks because of my anxiety levels increasing as I waited to hear whether there was more (and there was.) No one has discussed 'mole mapping' with me yet. I'm not sure what 'nevi' means yet, but will look it up.

My first site, on my back, did not involve a mole, but rather a widespread flat light pink rash (about the size of my hand) and was seen by two doctors before the third decided to biopsy it, out of curiosity. All were surprised that it was melanomoa in situ, with 'appendageal involvement' and eventually, through slow Moh surgery over four visits in ten days reached clear margins. The wound was then about the diameter of a coffee cup or baseball, and was sutured closed in a Z pattern that is about six inches long. Very dramatic looking, but they said "just superficial, not to worry."

This second one was also seen by three doctors and not considered significant until I had the biopsy this week and they found it was 'early melanoma' and just superficial. I'll know more after the surgery next week, and pray it will be only one cutting instead of three like last time.

chalknpens
                                                                Participant

Janner
                                                                  Participant

33% and 8% are two totally different realities.  I'm not sure where you are located but I've never seen a figure even remotely close to 33%.  My institution's (NCI Cancer Center with a specialty in melanoma) has a rate of 8%.  I live in a sunny state at high elevation which increases the risk for melanoma.  I've seen rates listed up to 11% but most are typically in the 7-10%.  People with a strong family history of melanoma (could indicate a genetic defect for melanoma) or people with dysplastic nevus syndrome (high risk for multiple primaries) would have the highest likelihood of being in that <10% category.  I've had 3 primaries.  I have a genetic defect for melanoma (CKDN2A).  Most others I've encountered with multiples have dysplastic nevus syndrome. People with multiple primaries actually have higher survival stats than those with only one, so it's not all bad news.

Janner
                                                                    Participant

33% and 8% are two totally different realities.  I'm not sure where you are located but I've never seen a figure even remotely close to 33%.  My institution's (NCI Cancer Center with a specialty in melanoma) has a rate of 8%.  I live in a sunny state at high elevation which increases the risk for melanoma.  I've seen rates listed up to 11% but most are typically in the 7-10%.  People with a strong family history of melanoma (could indicate a genetic defect for melanoma) or people with dysplastic nevus syndrome (high risk for multiple primaries) would have the highest likelihood of being in that <10% category.  I've had 3 primaries.  I have a genetic defect for melanoma (CKDN2A).  Most others I've encountered with multiples have dysplastic nevus syndrome. People with multiple primaries actually have higher survival stats than those with only one, so it's not all bad news.

Janner
                                                                      Participant

JC
                                                                        Participant

That's very odd, why would they have higher survival rate?  Is it because whatever their increased risk is they are being seen more often and carefully and so things are found earlier?

JC
                                                                          Participant

That's very odd, why would they have higher survival rate?  Is it because whatever their increased risk is they are being seen more often and carefully and so things are found earlier?

JC
                                                                            Participant

Janner
                                                                              Participant

I don't think a conclusion has been drawn, but it's been a while since I looked.  The study was from Australia.  Most who have multiples tend to have subsequent thinner ones than their first but that doesn't change anything about their first primary and the chance of mets from that.  I don't think followup is necessarily the key because there are certainly many with only one primary who have rigorous followup.

Janner
                                                                                Participant

I don't think a conclusion has been drawn, but it's been a while since I looked.  The study was from Australia.  Most who have multiples tend to have subsequent thinner ones than their first but that doesn't change anything about their first primary and the chance of mets from that.  I don't think followup is necessarily the key because there are certainly many with only one primary who have rigorous followup.

Janner
                                                                                  Participant

JC
                                                                                    Participant

Maybe it's kinda like getting the first one almost is like a sort of "vaccine" that if you get subsequent ones your body's immune system recognizes it faster to start fighting it and once it's detected and removed it may not be as thick or aggressive then?

JC
                                                                                      Participant

Maybe it's kinda like getting the first one almost is like a sort of "vaccine" that if you get subsequent ones your body's immune system recognizes it faster to start fighting it and once it's detected and removed it may not be as thick or aggressive then?

JC
                                                                                        Participant

chalknpens
                                                                                          Participant

That's a clever way to look at it – like the first one is a live vaccine. I remember years ago hearing of other cancers being spread by having a surgery that didn't 'get it all.'  Myth or truth, I don't know.

I just heard from the surgeon's office that my appointment with him is in two weeks.

chalknpens
                                                                                            Participant

Janner, thank you for sharing the link – that is very helpful information!

chalknpens
                                                                                              Participant

chalknpens
                                                                                                Participant

chalknpens
                                                                                                  Participant

That's a clever way to look at it – like the first one is a live vaccine. I remember years ago hearing of other cancers being spread by having a surgery that didn't 'get it all.'  Myth or truth, I don't know.

I just heard from the surgeon's office that my appointment with him is in two weeks.

chalknpens
                                                                                                    Participant

AngelaM
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi there

This would be a second primary melanoma, and yes it is very possible but the question of it being common or not is unclear in my opinion. A lot of people get multiple primaries where I live, though the research suggests that only around 8% get a second melanoma, and even fewer get a third. I personally don't think the stats are correct. I have had 3 primaries in 3 years, all on completely different parts of my body and all found within a few months of each other (up to a year apart). My doctors don't agree with the stats – they say that in their experience approx 1/3 rd of their melanoma patients get multiple primaries. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked the question. They basically expect anybody that's already had one to get another one. However, I must state that I'm not in the US like most of the people on these forums – so who knows.

Angela

AngelaM
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi there

Angela

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics