The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma and then Lymphoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma and then Lymphoma?

Participant
      Hi! I have been on this board and website in the past when I was going through my treatment, and I am finally ready to join as it was IMMENSELY helpful for me 🙂

If you read my information on my page, it’ll give all the details of my hx and dx and whatnot, but I had Stage IIIA melanoma a few years ago and went through Interferon and whatnot (I am 24 now, so about 20/21 when I went through treatment, etc.).

I was just wanting to reach out to see if anyone has had the (unfortunate) experience of acquiring a secondary cancer of Lymphoma post melanoma and treatment? I have had a node in the right side of my neck (I think one of the jugulodigastric nodes) that has been swollen for months and months and I am finally going in January early (new job = new insurance effective Jan. 1, so had to wait) for a CT scan per my oncologist after I explained my issues. I have been extremely fatigued, no other symptoms of cold (aside from fatigue), some night sweats which is super abnormal for me, and the lymph node has grown and is immovable and painless. Obviously I am sure you can all understand my concern even if it is just an infection! But just wanted to see if anyone has any insight or experience on secondary cancers, specifically Lymphoma, after having melanoma.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Becky
        Participant
          Hi Julia
          I just want to say, my son’s dx and treatment was almost exactly like yours, only in 2009. He as 20, about to turn 21 and in college. Did a year of interferon ( took a semester off but still graduated in 4 years!) . He did have a swollen lymph node after that year and they did a needle biopsy and it was nothing…maybe just a reactive node from a virus. Hoping yours is the same!

Becky

jdembroski
            Participant
              Hi Becky!

Wow – that is so crazy that your son’s dx and tx were so so similiar (in age, too!). Definitely have felt pretty alone in this, so I am thankful that I am not. I am just sorry you and your son had to go through it all. I know my mom was a rockstar and I am so thankful for her continuous support. I am certain you were and still are a rockstar for your son, too! Well that is most certainly reassuring. Thank you for your response! Fingers crossed its nothing.

Again, I super appreciate your response! Wishing you and your family all the best.

Julia

Hitchens
            Participant
              I am also 3a. I noticed a swollen node on the opposite side of my primary approximately 6 months after surgery. My ENT ensured me it was not related and ordered a CT. The results came back as negative (3 years ago). Apparently it alway been swollen and I never noticed it.

Hopefully yours is similar

Best wishes

jdembroski
                Participant
                  So thankful to hear it was negative, shew!!! Our bodies are magnificent and terrifying at the same time. Hoping mine is the same!
                  Thank you so very much for your response!

Take care!

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics