The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma and Birth Control

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma and Birth Control

Participant

Hi everyone.  I was reading a fellow survivors blog a few minutes ago and she stated that her doctors did not want her on Birth Control Pills because of her Melanoma (Stage 1B).   This was the first I have heard of this and of course it FREAKED ME OUT since I have been on Birth Control Pills for 10+ years.  I came off of them only to have my daughter in 2009.  My Melanoma (in situ) was diagnosed in Sept.

Hi everyone.  I was reading a fellow survivors blog a few minutes ago and she stated that her doctors did not want her on Birth Control Pills because of her Melanoma (Stage 1B).   This was the first I have heard of this and of course it FREAKED ME OUT since I have been on Birth Control Pills for 10+ years.  I came off of them only to have my daughter in 2009.  My Melanoma (in situ) was diagnosed in Sept. 2009, 4 months after my daughter was born.  I am under the understanding that the concensus is that pregnancy does not cause melanoma but after the furious Google session I have just had on the subject I am now not so sure.  Neither my OB or my Derm has said ANYTHING about me needing to come off the BC Pills.  I am just confused and of course FREAKING OUT.  Does anyone have any insight?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Hormones, pregnancy and melanoma have been controversial topics for years.  I've been stage IB for almost 20 years and have used BC pills on and off during that time.  Currently have a BC implant.  My cutaneous oncologist has no problems with BC and early stage melanoma.  Many share my doctor's feelings.  Other doctors practice differently.  There IS NO CONCENSUS about this and no studies that show and direct link with BC and melanoma that I have ever seen.  In addition, you had an in situ melanoma.  This is basically 100% cured with surgery.  You DO NOT have melanoma any more and I PERSONALLY cannot see any reason why taking BC should be any issue.  That is my opinion only.  Melanoma in situ and stage IB are not in the same category.  Your pregnancy created a ton more hormones than BC pills will ever do.  And just because you had an in situ after pregnancy doesn't mean the two are related.  Women in their 20's and 30's are at high risk for melanoma (#1 cancer for them) and this is regardless of pregnancy status.  This is something that you will not find any answers to on the internet.  You can search high and low and find this and that – but there are really not a lot of studies with conclusive outcomes.  I think you are better off discussing your own situation with your doctor.  Sometimes, the internet can cause more problems than it can solve.  So discussing your own situation and risks, etc. with your medical professional is probably going to be the best route to go to make you feel better.  Get your own plan, not someone elses!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Hormones, pregnancy and melanoma have been controversial topics for years.  I've been stage IB for almost 20 years and have used BC pills on and off during that time.  Currently have a BC implant.  My cutaneous oncologist has no problems with BC and early stage melanoma.  Many share my doctor's feelings.  Other doctors practice differently.  There IS NO CONCENSUS about this and no studies that show and direct link with BC and melanoma that I have ever seen.  In addition, you had an in situ melanoma.  This is basically 100% cured with surgery.  You DO NOT have melanoma any more and I PERSONALLY cannot see any reason why taking BC should be any issue.  That is my opinion only.  Melanoma in situ and stage IB are not in the same category.  Your pregnancy created a ton more hormones than BC pills will ever do.  And just because you had an in situ after pregnancy doesn't mean the two are related.  Women in their 20's and 30's are at high risk for melanoma (#1 cancer for them) and this is regardless of pregnancy status.  This is something that you will not find any answers to on the internet.  You can search high and low and find this and that – but there are really not a lot of studies with conclusive outcomes.  I think you are better off discussing your own situation with your doctor.  Sometimes, the internet can cause more problems than it can solve.  So discussing your own situation and risks, etc. with your medical professional is probably going to be the best route to go to make you feel better.  Get your own plan, not someone elses!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

bdhf
              Participant

Don't freak out!  Call your doc and find out their thoughts.  I too had melanoma in situ a few months after my first child was born in 2007.  Had it surgically removed and thought all was well.  Went for all my check ups as required.  Had my second child in July 2011.  In October I started having daily headaches.  Thought it was tension or a bad eyeglass/contact prescription…Dec 13th I was told I had a 3cm brain tumor and had to have it removed on the 14th…was then diagnosed stage 4.  So…is it related to having the babies?  No idea.  My oncologist says no.  I asked because I had heard about the anecdotal evidence that it could possibly be an issue but as the previous poster mentioned there is no conclusive evidence that says yes or no.  If you are really worried then use a barrier method until you are assured otherwise, but really…who knows?!  In 10 years they could say that it is related…you are the only one who can decide for you what is best.  Hang in there!

Brenda

Tracy Chicago
                  Participant

Talk to your doctors and see what they recommend. BUT if you are anything like me, I need to follow my gut and my gut told me not to take BC anymore. I also looked at the implant BC but my gut told me no on that one too. So now we are just very very careful.  Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you!

Tracy Chicago
                    Participant

Talk to your doctors and see what they recommend. BUT if you are anything like me, I need to follow my gut and my gut told me not to take BC anymore. I also looked at the implant BC but my gut told me no on that one too. So now we are just very very careful.  Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you!

Tracy Chicago
                      Participant

bdhf
                      Participant

Don't freak out!  Call your doc and find out their thoughts.  I too had melanoma in situ a few months after my first child was born in 2007.  Had it surgically removed and thought all was well.  Went for all my check ups as required.  Had my second child in July 2011.  In October I started having daily headaches.  Thought it was tension or a bad eyeglass/contact prescription…Dec 13th I was told I had a 3cm brain tumor and had to have it removed on the 14th…was then diagnosed stage 4.  So…is it related to having the babies?  No idea.  My oncologist says no.  I asked because I had heard about the anecdotal evidence that it could possibly be an issue but as the previous poster mentioned there is no conclusive evidence that says yes or no.  If you are really worried then use a barrier method until you are assured otherwise, but really…who knows?!  In 10 years they could say that it is related…you are the only one who can decide for you what is best.  Hang in there!

Brenda

bdhf
                        Participant

Brenda

AngelaM
                          Participant

I was reading this post and thought I would reply with my own experience.

I have had 3 melanomas. One before I fell pregnant with my son and two after (both within a year of giving birth).

I was advised by my OB that I may not take BC at all, ever, and I was advised by my onc, derm and surgeon that I may not fall pregnant for at least two years from the last mealnoma. They said that I have to be completely melanoma free for at least two years before even considering another child.

I find this interesting though, given that there's no consensus on melanoma and BC or melanoma and pregnancy.

I asked each of them why, and I was given 3 different answers!

– The onc said that bot BC and pregnancy increase melanin production

– The surgeon said that the growth hormones during pregnancy may make melanoma grow

– The derm said that the immunosuppressive state of the pregnant woman could spur melanoma growth

So, I don't know. But that's what I've been told so I thought I would share it with you.

AngelaM
                            Participant

I have had 3 melanomas. One before I fell pregnant with my son and two after (both within a year of giving birth).

I was advised by my OB that I may not take BC at all, ever, and I was advised by my onc, derm and surgeon that I may not fall pregnant for at least two years from the last mealnoma. They said that I have to be completely melanoma free for at least two years before even considering another child.

I find this interesting though, given that there's no consensus on melanoma and BC or melanoma and pregnancy.

– The surgeon said that the growth hormones during pregnancy may make melanoma grow

– The derm said that the immunosuppressive state of the pregnant woman could spur melanoma growth

So, I don't know. But that's what I've been told so I thought I would share it with you.

AngelaM
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics