The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mel back again

Forums General Melanoma Community Mel back again

Participant

2006 diagnoses with Mel on leg, wide excision. Now I have nodules in my leg and went for isolated infusion in my leg, the nodules in leg responded well but foll up PET showers mets to shoulder and back and brain mets. Going back to Moffit next week for consultation for stereotactic radiation and to get started on Ipi. How are the results with the radiation I have 3small ones and worried about getting rid of them.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Momrn5
        Participant

No personal experience but I have read that there have been some good results with brain radiation and ipi.  Especially  if it is timed right.  Best wishes.

Momrn5
          Participant

No personal experience but I have read that there have been some good results with brain radiation and ipi.  Especially  if it is timed right.  Best wishes.

Momrn5
            Participant

POW
              Participant

Many people here have had SRS on their brain mets with very good success. My brother had SRS at Moffitt and it went very well. He made 2 visits– one to have the plastic mask custom-made and the second to have an MRI and then the SRS. Although there was a lot of waiting around involved, the procedure itself only took 20 minutes and he went home that same day. There were no side effects except for fatigue for a couple of days. 

There are some anecdotal reports that ipi (trade name Yeroy) does work in the brain and that radiation-killed melanoma cells can stimulate an immune response better than live melanoma cells. The treatment plan you describe sounds quite reasonable. Best of luck to you!

POW
                Participant

Many people here have had SRS on their brain mets with very good success. My brother had SRS at Moffitt and it went very well. He made 2 visits– one to have the plastic mask custom-made and the second to have an MRI and then the SRS. Although there was a lot of waiting around involved, the procedure itself only took 20 minutes and he went home that same day. There were no side effects except for fatigue for a couple of days. 

There are some anecdotal reports that ipi (trade name Yeroy) does work in the brain and that radiation-killed melanoma cells can stimulate an immune response better than live melanoma cells. The treatment plan you describe sounds quite reasonable. Best of luck to you!

POW
                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

A valid approach based on previous observations.  Need more participants too get a good statistical basis.  We are very interested in your results and hope they are absolutely GREAT!

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

A valid approach based on previous observations.  Need more participants too get a good statistical basis.  We are very interested in your results and hope they are absolutely GREAT!

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics