The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MEK inhibitor nears approval

Forums General Melanoma Community MEK inhibitor nears approval

• Replies
      NYKaren
      Participant
        I wonder what “could be close to reaching the market” really means. Anyone hear anything more specific?
        NYKaren
        Participant
          I wonder what “could be close to reaching the market” really means. Anyone hear anything more specific?
          NYKaren
          Participant
              lou2
              Participant

Probably only the FDA knows the answer to your question.  It apparently is in the process of approval, however long that might take.

Here is a link that gives info on the process:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm054420.htm

And here is another report on the application, which gives contact info for the maker of the drug:

NDAs Submitted for Dabrafenib and Trametinib for Unresectable or Metastatic Melanoma

GlaxoSmithKline announced that it has submitted New Drug Applications (NDAs) for dabrafenib and trametinib to the FDA, seeking approval for the treatment of patients with unresectable or metastatic melanoma with BRAF V600 mutation as detected by an FDA-approved test.

GlaxoSmithKline entered a collaboration with bioMérieux in 2010 to develop a molecular theranostic test to detect BRAF V600 (V600E and V600K) gene mutations found in several cancers, including melanoma. bioMérieux has filed for FDA Pre-Market Approval of the test and it is currently being utilized in the Phase 3 trametinib-dabrafenib combination program to identify appropriate patients.

Dabrafenib is a BRAF inhibitor. Trametinib is an MEK inhibitor.

For more information call (888) 825 5249 or visit http://www.gsk.com.

lou2
                Participant

I found this on the GSK website, which was interesting because of the opthomologic and cardiac problems reported from the clinical trial on the drug.  Wondering if this info will be available to patients or only to researchers, and whether it applies only in the UK, since it was a British medical journal decision about transparency?

http://www.gsk.com/media/press-releases/2012/gsk-responds-bmj-commitment-clinical-trial-data-transparency.html

NYKaren
                  Participant
                    Interesting, Lou. My my onc says the combo is loaded w/side effects, but he wasn’t specific.
                    NYKaren
                    Participant
                      Interesting, Lou. My my onc says the combo is loaded w/side effects, but he wasn’t specific.
                      NYKaren
                      Participant
                        lou2
                        Participant

I found this on the GSK website, which was interesting because of the opthomologic and cardiac problems reported from the clinical trial on the drug.  Wondering if this info will be available to patients or only to researchers, and whether it applies only in the UK, since it was a British medical journal decision about transparency?

http://www.gsk.com/media/press-releases/2012/gsk-responds-bmj-commitment-clinical-trial-data-transparency.html

lou2
                          Participant

lou2
                            Participant

Probably only the FDA knows the answer to your question.  It apparently is in the process of approval, however long that might take.

And here is another report on the application, which gives contact info for the maker of the drug:

NDAs Submitted for Dabrafenib and Trametinib for Unresectable or Metastatic Melanoma

GlaxoSmithKline announced that it has submitted New Drug Applications (NDAs) for dabrafenib and trametinib to the FDA, seeking approval for the treatment of patients with unresectable or metastatic melanoma with BRAF V600 mutation as detected by an FDA-approved test.

GlaxoSmithKline entered a collaboration with bioMérieux in 2010 to develop a molecular theranostic test to detect BRAF V600 (V600E and V600K) gene mutations found in several cancers, including melanoma. bioMérieux has filed for FDA Pre-Market Approval of the test and it is currently being utilized in the Phase 3 trametinib-dabrafenib combination program to identify appropriate patients.

lou2
                              Participant

I have been taking the MEK inhibitor, with the BRAF inhibitor for over two years, and i would not say “it is loaded with side affects.” I say it is wonderful, with a few mild side affects, and many of my cohorts feel the same way.
                                I have been taking the MEK inhibitor, with the BRAF inhibitor for over two years, and i would not say “it is loaded with side affects.” I say it is wonderful, with a few mild side affects, and many of my cohorts feel the same way.
                                NYKaren
                                Participant
                                  Dear JPMM,
                                  Thanks for sharing that. Funny, on my last visit to Sloan, both onc & his fellow were saying lots of side-effects for the combo. Go figure.
                                  I wish you ever-lasting response and few to no side effects.
                                  Karen
                                  NYKaren
                                  Participant
                                    Dear JPMM,
                                    Thanks for sharing that. Funny, on my last visit to Sloan, both onc & his fellow were saying lots of side-effects for the combo. Go figure.
                                    Karen
                                    NYKaren
                                    Participant
                                      Dear JPMM,
                                      Karen
                                    Wife of Carl
                                    Participant

My husband has been on a clinical trial for the GSK MEK inhibitor for 2 1/2 years.  His doctor said that he got notice from GSK that it would be on the market this spring.

Pat

Wife of Carl
                                      Participant

My husband has been on a clinical trial for the GSK MEK inhibitor for 2 1/2 years.  His doctor said that he got notice from GSK that it would be on the market this spring.

Pat

Wife of Carl
                                        Participant

Pat

NYKaren
                                            Participant
                                              Hi Pat,
                                              Is he on the MEK inhibitor alone or in combo with the BRAF inhibitor?
                                              NYKaren
                                              Participant
                                                Hi Pat,
                                                Wife of Carl
                                                Participant

He is on the MEK inhibitor alone.

Wife of Carl
                                                  Participant

Wife of Carl
                                                    Participant

NYKaren
                                                      Participant
                                                        Hi Pat,
                                                  Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics