The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Medicare

Forums General Melanoma Community Medicare

Participant
      I apologize in advance and hope I am not hijacking this forum with a question about medicare for my future father in law. He has recently been diagnosed with Stage 3 + lung cancer. I doubt that he has any kind of supplemental prescription drug coverage. Have any of you solely used medicare as your health insurance for melanoma? Has it been pretty good in coverage? Surgery, radiation, immuno or other therapy?
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        studiodad
        Participant
          I just started Opdivo with first infusion last week. I have Medicare and AARP Medicare Complete. The program is through United Health. I have been assured that immunotherapy is covered under Coverage B, not under any Coverage D prescription supplement. Therefore, when you receive any Coverge B service, your annual co-pay deductible for Coverage B is all you pay each year. All charges in excess of that are paid by your insurer. This has nothing to do with prescription coverage. Your plan May not have an annual deductible. Mine is $4200. You pay co-pays for scanning and all Coverage B procedures until you reach the deductible. Every Coverage B expense above that for the rest of the calendar year is paid by your insurer. You start over again each January 1 and pay until the annual deductible is reached. I know this is the procedure for me with United Health but call Medicare directly to confirm this is the case if no supplement is part of your plan
            sing123
            Participant
              Thank you so much! Hope your Opdivo does the trick. It has so far for me!

Very best,

Cindy

listening
              Participant
                Medicare has several parts. Part A covers hospitalization. Part B covers doctors and all outpatient treatments, including brief overnight stays in the hospital that are not deemed admissions. (Yes). Part D covers prescription drugs. Does he have part D? If not, he needs to sign up for as soon as he can. I think the open season is in December but I’m not sure if he can sign up at any time.

Part B generally covers about 80%. A Medicare supplemental policy covers the other 20%. Everyone who can should get a Medicare suppliemental policy as soon as he or she is eligible for Mediicare. if he didn’t sign up for Part D and has no other insurance, the only drugs that will be paid by Medicare are those administered when he is in the hospital.

I am reasonably certain that what I am telling you is correct but you obviously should check. He can always call Mediicare to confirm.

sing123
                Participant
                  Thank you very much!
            Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics