The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mebendazole?

Forums General Melanoma Community Mebendazole?

Participant

Just very curious to be honest.,, I've read some reliable material about the use of mebendazole and the potential for it to aid cell death in melanoma. 

Had anyone tried this? Or heard of its use? 

would really appreciate anyone's input… is it all nonsense or could it have some value? 

Many thanks x

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi,

Have read about it incombo with statins, metformin and doxycilne.The theory is that these drugs in combination disrupt the cancer cells metabolic pathway. They are old drugs and clinical trials are expensivre, so little money to be made by proving they work.

There is some triaKling being done in the UK, and it seems to include St Georges hospital. Usual buzz words repurposing of old drugs.Still have my sceptical hat on…but could see how in theory the drugs may do something.. But the UK clinic supplies the same drugs for all cancers and the registered trial on clinical trials.gov was suspended when I looked at it,and was only available for palliative patients.

Would be skeptical about using alongside say immunotherapy as doxyciline an antibiotic would mess with gut bacteria. Mebendazole is used to treat thread worm and usually only short courses so not sure how this might impact on say liver toxicity over longer courses. Statins must be used by lots of cancer patients- lowering bp and cholestral , same goes for metformin which is used in type 2 diabetes and keeps blood sugar levels down.

There may be something in this..but the evidence for the drugs is stronger on cancer risk reduction rather than treatment. Still trying to work out what I think , but am wary of unknown drug interactions. Maybe that tney disrupt the tumours micro environment.

Problem remains getting quality research done. There might be evidence in mouse models but it is a big step to say this works for us folk.

I' m firmly on the fence on this one.

Deb

debwray
          Participant

Hi,

Have read about it incombo with statins, metformin and doxycilne.The theory is that these drugs in combination disrupt the cancer cells metabolic pathway. They are old drugs and clinical trials are expensivre, so little money to be made by proving they work.

There is some triaKling being done in the UK, and it seems to include St Georges hospital. Usual buzz words repurposing of old drugs.Still have my sceptical hat on…but could see how in theory the drugs may do something.. But the UK clinic supplies the same drugs for all cancers and the registered trial on clinical trials.gov was suspended when I looked at it,and was only available for palliative patients.

Would be skeptical about using alongside say immunotherapy as doxyciline an antibiotic would mess with gut bacteria. Mebendazole is used to treat thread worm and usually only short courses so not sure how this might impact on say liver toxicity over longer courses. Statins must be used by lots of cancer patients- lowering bp and cholestral , same goes for metformin which is used in type 2 diabetes and keeps blood sugar levels down.

There may be something in this..but the evidence for the drugs is stronger on cancer risk reduction rather than treatment. Still trying to work out what I think , but am wary of unknown drug interactions. Maybe that tney disrupt the tumours micro environment.

Problem remains getting quality research done. There might be evidence in mouse models but it is a big step to say this works for us folk.

Deb

AvaL
              Participant

Thanks Deb. That's all really informative and very helpful. 

My hubby is stage 3a and on no treatment. It's that frustrating point at which he feels he wants to be 'doing something' about reducing the risk. Seems crazy that he's had the surgery and unfortunately nothing else to offer to kill those remaining cancer cells. He's on no other drugs and for and healthy. So our thinking was maybe it could be useful to try a short course of this. We fully expect it to have no impact, but hey it could do. The research seems to suggest it could have some effect on cells. Side effects seem minimal and no specific danger. It doesn't seem quackery. Was thinking of discussing with the GP, but when u talk about things outside of the box, it is usually met with disapproval. Even when these things have some scientific backing. 

Pajarito
                Participant
                  This reply has been marked as private.
                  AvaL
                  Participant

My hubby is stage 3a and on no treatment. It's that frustrating point at which he feels he wants to be 'doing something' about reducing the risk. Seems crazy that he's had the surgery and unfortunately nothing else to offer to kill those remaining cancer cells. He's on no other drugs and for and healthy. So our thinking was maybe it could be useful to try a short course of this. We fully expect it to have no impact, but hey it could do. The research seems to suggest it could have some effect on cells. Side effects seem minimal and no specific danger. It doesn't seem quackery. Was thinking of discussing with the GP, but when u talk about things outside of the box, it is usually met with disapproval. Even when these things have some scientific backing. 

AvaL
                    Participant

debwray
                    Participant

Hi,

Deb

Bubbles
                      Participant

Hi AvaL, 

Sorry for what you and your husband are dealing with.  I have seen some data in the past re mebendazole that sounded positive.  However, long term use could certainly have possible side effects.  Your husband clearly has the right to decide what he feels is best for him.  However, of all the things that have been looked at (from drugs most commonly used for other purposes – NSAID's, doxycycline, metformin, etc – to foods and plants) taking advil, eating more curry or mustard (or a curcumin tab), drinking coffee, taking vitamin D, and getting exercise may prove more helpful than anything else.  I've followed the data on all sorts of melanoma "cures" over many years.  Here is my latest installment with many, many links within: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/08/everything-cures-melanomaredux5.html

There is also this latest re metformin: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/01/phenformin-not-metformin-can-reduce.html

More on NSAID's below….

Bubbles
                        Participant

Hi AvaL, 

Sorry for what you and your husband are dealing with.  I have seen some data in the past re mebendazole that sounded positive.  However, long term use could certainly have possible side effects.  Your husband clearly has the right to decide what he feels is best for him.  However, of all the things that have been looked at (from drugs most commonly used for other purposes – NSAID's, doxycycline, metformin, etc – to foods and plants) taking advil, eating more curry or mustard (or a curcumin tab), drinking coffee, taking vitamin D, and getting exercise may prove more helpful than anything else.  I've followed the data on all sorts of melanoma "cures" over many years.  Here is my latest installment with many, many links within: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/08/everything-cures-melanomaredux5.html

There is also this latest re metformin: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/01/phenformin-not-metformin-can-reduce.html

More on NSAID's below….

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hi AvaL, 

More on NSAID's below….

Bubbles
                              Participant

…NSAIDs were discussed at ASCO this past year.  Check out the last article in this post (as well as the links to more links within):  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/06/asco-2016-final-odds-and-endsa-study.html

And there was this study that looked at routine drugs being taken by patients while on ipi: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/09/a-look-at-effect-of-routine-meds-used.html

Soooo….there is actually real live data on some of this stuff though urban legend has it that because it is already on the market and cheap…studies have never been done.  You can find data on Vit D by using the search bubble on my blog if you are interested.  I will be posting an additional abstract re Vit D tomorrow.  

I wish you and your husband well….whatever you decide.  celeste

Bubbles
                                Participant

…NSAIDs were discussed at ASCO this past year.  Check out the last article in this post (as well as the links to more links within):  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/06/asco-2016-final-odds-and-endsa-study.html

And there was this study that looked at routine drugs being taken by patients while on ipi: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/09/a-look-at-effect-of-routine-meds-used.html

Soooo….there is actually real live data on some of this stuff though urban legend has it that because it is already on the market and cheap…studies have never been done.  You can find data on Vit D by using the search bubble on my blog if you are interested.  I will be posting an additional abstract re Vit D tomorrow.  

Bubbles
                                  Participant

UBContributor
                                    Participant

Thank you for your research. I am still kind of a newbie here, had SLNB 2 weeks ago, now learning about living with MM. I know vitamin D is important, especially since I am going to avoid sun as much as I can, no more beaches or mountain hiking…

UBContributor
                                      Participant

Thank you for your research. I am still kind of a newbie here, had SLNB 2 weeks ago, now learning about living with MM. I know vitamin D is important, especially since I am going to avoid sun as much as I can, no more beaches or mountain hiking…

Bubbles
                                        Participant

I wish you well!  But….you can still hike and go to the beach!!!  Just wear appropriate protective gear and sunscreen!!  Most of all….LIVE!!!  LARGE!!! c

Bubbles
                                          Participant

I wish you well!  But….you can still hike and go to the beach!!!  Just wear appropriate protective gear and sunscreen!!  Most of all….LIVE!!!  LARGE!!! c

Bubbles
                                            Participant

UBContributor
                                              Participant

AvaL
                                                Participant

Hi Celeste thanks so much for replying. I found your blog a couple of months ago whilst I was furiously and probably obsessively (!) reading all I could about melanoma. So much info on there which you have spent time interpreting to make it more accessible. I check in often on there. It seems this melanoma makes me crave all the info I can get and once I feel satisfi d I have that… then I can get on with enjoying life…. until the next wobble and I then start looking again. Deary me, atleast it's interesting noting our own processes and patterns! But seriously, thank you – your work on that blog helps many I'm sure x

AvaL
                                                  Participant

Hi Celeste thanks so much for replying. I found your blog a couple of months ago whilst I was furiously and probably obsessively (!) reading all I could about melanoma. So much info on there which you have spent time interpreting to make it more accessible. I check in often on there. It seems this melanoma makes me crave all the info I can get and once I feel satisfi d I have that… then I can get on with enjoying life…. until the next wobble and I then start looking again. Deary me, atleast it's interesting noting our own processes and patterns! But seriously, thank you – your work on that blog helps many I'm sure x

AvaL
                                                    Participant

debwray
                                                    Participant

Hi Aval, 

Was on the tablet earlier – so apologies for the multiple typos- fat fingers and all that.

Some links for you to have a look at…If there is no risk of disrupting the mechanism of other treatments it might shift the balance in weighing pros and cons….Not easy to make a call.I do take tumeric, probiotics and Vit D.

The trial design had patients on mebendazole for a month alternating with the antibiotic…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/health-advice/crowdfunding-cure-cancer/

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02201381?term=metformin+mebendazole&rank=1

debwray
                                                      Participant

Hi Aval, 

Was on the tablet earlier – so apologies for the multiple typos- fat fingers and all that.

Some links for you to have a look at…If there is no risk of disrupting the mechanism of other treatments it might shift the balance in weighing pros and cons….Not easy to make a call.I do take tumeric, probiotics and Vit D.

The trial design had patients on mebendazole for a month alternating with the antibiotic…

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02201381?term=metformin+mebendazole&rank=1

AvaL
                                                          Participant

Thank so much Deb, this is great info. I've printed it off for hubby and he's looking over with interest. I am so curious as to why the trial was ended. I had assumed that atleast a fair bit of evidence would be needed to get to the stage of commencing a trial and then to end it mid recruitment seems odd. They must have struggled to get funding for it too I'm sure.

are you also in the U.K. Deb? I hope you're doing well x

AvaL
                                                            Participant

Thank so much Deb, this is great info. I've printed it off for hubby and he's looking over with interest. I am so curious as to why the trial was ended. I had assumed that atleast a fair bit of evidence would be needed to get to the stage of commencing a trial and then to end it mid recruitment seems odd. They must have struggled to get funding for it too I'm sure.

debwray
                                                              Participant

Yes am UK based.  Trial suspended but only learned of it reading articles in the press during the last 6 months. Think problems are likeky to be linked to trial protocol. Too many different cancers and hard to get comparative data from untreated cohort with similar characteristics.

Patients self selecting for trial likely to be motivated and with support so may skew results ..or even if drugs are placebo like it may give other advantages.

Did get as far as researching mebendazole. Over. The counter in family packs of ovex or try a search for vermox on eBay.. Romanian suppliers very reasonable but as for quality..who knows but labelled up as big pharma product.

Recruitment for trial is patient funded and on the face if it fees are low for private consults.

I' m stage 4 and 3 doses in on IPI nivo combo after a 6 week drug holiday due to liver test showing probs. Am doiwbn to 5 mg pred. 12 week scan showed progression , but the reference scan was taken 5 weeks prior to treatment start..so waiting to see results on the next one.

All rather nerve wracking and pulledmy mood down considerably. Was hoping for something more encouraging…had dose 3 week ago today.. Itching like crazy and sunburn type rash on chest neck and face….so something is happening. Cat got double dose of spot on as thought itching could be down to her.. Ha ha..but I am only one in the family with this issue.

Best of luck to you and hubby and hope he stays Ned stage 3 forever.

Deb

debwray
                                                                Participant

Yes am UK based.  Trial suspended but only learned of it reading articles in the press during the last 6 months. Think problems are likeky to be linked to trial protocol. Too many different cancers and hard to get comparative data from untreated cohort with similar characteristics.

Patients self selecting for trial likely to be motivated and with support so may skew results ..or even if drugs are placebo like it may give other advantages.

Did get as far as researching mebendazole. Over. The counter in family packs of ovex or try a search for vermox on eBay.. Romanian suppliers very reasonable but as for quality..who knows but labelled up as big pharma product.

Recruitment for trial is patient funded and on the face if it fees are low for private consults.

I' m stage 4 and 3 doses in on IPI nivo combo after a 6 week drug holiday due to liver test showing probs. Am doiwbn to 5 mg pred. 12 week scan showed progression , but the reference scan was taken 5 weeks prior to treatment start..so waiting to see results on the next one.

All rather nerve wracking and pulledmy mood down considerably. Was hoping for something more encouraging…had dose 3 week ago today.. Itching like crazy and sunburn type rash on chest neck and face….so something is happening. Cat got double dose of spot on as thought itching could be down to her.. Ha ha..but I am only one in the family with this issue.

Deb

debwray
                                                                  Participant

Deb

AvaL
                                                                    Participant

You've been through it Deb and going through it with those side effects by the sounds of it. I am really hoping that that means the drugs might be doing something though.

Got fingers tightly crossed they work their magic for you! 

AvaL
                                                                      Participant

You've been through it Deb and going through it with those side effects by the sounds of it. I am really hoping that that means the drugs might be doing something though.

AvaL
                                                                        Participant

AvaL
                                                                          Participant

debwray
                                                                          Participant

Hi Aval, 

Bubbles
                                                                            Participant

Oddly enough…this NPR report played as I drove to work today:  http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/01/30/512400204/a-pinworm-medication-is-being-tested-as-a-potential-anti-cancer-drug

Hmmm….  Still think Vit D, coffee, curcumin, NSAIDs have more proven human results in melanoma…and those are slim….  But!!!  I have hope for anything they want to look at and see where it goes.  celeste

Bubbles
                                                                              Participant

Oddly enough…this NPR report played as I drove to work today:  http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/01/30/512400204/a-pinworm-medication-is-being-tested-as-a-potential-anti-cancer-drug

Hmmm….  Still think Vit D, coffee, curcumin, NSAIDs have more proven human results in melanoma…and those are slim….  But!!!  I have hope for anything they want to look at and see where it goes.  celeste

Bubbles
                                                                                Participant

AvaL
                                                                                    Participant

thabks very much for this. We had a listen…. interesting! I am amazed that the drug has increased that much America! Here in UK it's £6 for a pack of 4. Paul (hubby) is taking circumin, is v.healthy and exercises lots. So really he's doing everything he can do (possibly) reduce risk of recurrence. He's decided to take mebendazole for a month. He's under no allusion… this Bugar will do what it wants… but hey, could be worth a go so long as no side effects. Atleast he'all have a nice parasitic free bowel! 

AvaL
                                                                                      Participant

thabks very much for this. We had a listen…. interesting! I am amazed that the drug has increased that much America! Here in UK it's £6 for a pack of 4. Paul (hubby) is taking circumin, is v.healthy and exercises lots. So really he's doing everything he can do (possibly) reduce risk of recurrence. He's decided to take mebendazole for a month. He's under no allusion… this Bugar will do what it wants… but hey, could be worth a go so long as no side effects. Atleast he'all have a nice parasitic free bowel! 

AvaL
                                                                                        Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics