The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Measuring tumors for trials!

Forums General Melanoma Community Measuring tumors for trials!

Participant

Hi,

As luck would have it, I had full head to toe PET/CT scans in 9/10 to get into a trial but I did not have a 1cm tumor. I had 2 tumors 6mm & 4mm on thigh

Now, I have another recurrence on my thigh that is growing very fast.

I really do not want to have scans again  until I am ready to qualify for a trial and the scans are part of the trial requirement.

Question: Has anyone had their tumors measured by other macines besides CT like ultrasound or anything else that can measure the size of the tumor? Are these machine reliable/definitive??

Hi,

As luck would have it, I had full head to toe PET/CT scans in 9/10 to get into a trial but I did not have a 1cm tumor. I had 2 tumors 6mm & 4mm on thigh

Now, I have another recurrence on my thigh that is growing very fast.

I really do not want to have scans again  until I am ready to qualify for a trial and the scans are part of the trial requirement.

Question: Has anyone had their tumors measured by other macines besides CT like ultrasound or anything else that can measure the size of the tumor? Are these machine reliable/definitive??

If I can just determine when my tumor is 1 CM then I can contact trials I might qualify for!! I do not want to sign up for a trial assuming that my tumors are 1cm then go through the scans & not qualify because the scans come back with less than 1 CM tumors.

Thanks for taking the time to repsond to my post. Wishing everyone a NED status.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sharyn
        Participant

I'm now in my 3rd clinical trial, and most measurements were done by using a ruler. They all did an initial CT scan to obtain precise measurements as a baseline, but that was more for internal mets, not cutaneous or sub-cutaneous mets. So when your new tumor gets to 1cm, then apply for your trial, and they'll cover the cost of the scan. Good luck

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
          Participant

I'm now in my 3rd clinical trial, and most measurements were done by using a ruler. They all did an initial CT scan to obtain precise measurements as a baseline, but that was more for internal mets, not cutaneous or sub-cutaneous mets. So when your new tumor gets to 1cm, then apply for your trial, and they'll cover the cost of the scan. Good luck

Sharyn, Stage IV

lhaley
            Participant

I just came back from my Dr. appointment with my pathology. The ultrasound had shown 1.7 cm. The biopsy showed 2.9 cm. I was told yes it probably had grown but ultrasounds are not exact enough to count on.

Wishing you he best,

Linda

lhaley
              Participant

I just came back from my Dr. appointment with my pathology. The ultrasound had shown 1.7 cm. The biopsy showed 2.9 cm. I was told yes it probably had grown but ultrasounds are not exact enough to count on.

Wishing you he best,

Linda

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics