The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

meaning of negative nodes?

Forums General Melanoma Community meaning of negative nodes?

Participant

If one gets a SLNB and it is negative, what really does that mean?  People can get negative node result and still develop metastasis later, correct?  I'm not sure how that happens if nodes are negative initially.

If one gets a SLNB and it is negative, what really does that mean?  People can get negative node result and still develop metastasis later, correct?  I'm not sure how that happens if nodes are negative initially.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

The SNB tells you that at this particular moment in time the first node in the path is clear.  For me mine spread in the blood system, although that is rare (8%). Mine went to the lymph node 4 years after I was already stage IV. 

So for many the SNB gives you information to let you know if the primary has metasticized but it doesn't help all of the time. 

mlbjab
            Participant

I wonder if there was no infitrate if that lowers the odd of node being positive?  if brisk, it seems it would have more liklihood of going to node.

mlbjab
              Participant

I wonder if there was no infitrate if that lowers the odd of node being positive?  if brisk, it seems it would have more liklihood of going to node.

mlbjab
                Participant

It doesn’t guarantee any thing. As a matter of fact I was told it would used for diagnosis purposes. Since I hadd negative nodes my surgeon suggested I would not have to deal At a rate 90% inky favor. My primary was only 1.32 deep I was diagnosed at stage 1b for nearly 3 years. I had skin follow up once every three months . My melanoma came back as metastiic form in my brain, liver and abdomen last July 2011. It came back through the blood. To this date my lymph nodes are clear. When dthey did the dye test back in 2008 I was told there was only 20% It. Would be found I drained to both arm pits and
                  Left flank again I beat the odds 3 spots where most drain to one . I did what I could and yet my battle continues. I am hoping I beat the odds in a good way by responding to Yervoy and Zelboraf at the same time. I will have scans in about 5 weeks and I will know then. If not on I go, no guarantees ever in life.
                  Kathy d
                  It doesn’t guarantee any thing. As a matter of fact I was told it would used for diagnosis purposes. Since I hadd negative nodes my surgeon suggested I would not have to deal At a rate 90% inky favor. My primary was only 1.32 deep I was diagnosed at stage 1b for nearly 3 years. I had skin follow up once every three months . My melanoma came back as metastiic form in my brain, liver and abdomen last July 2011. It came back through the blood. To this date my lymph nodes are clear. When dthey did the dye test back in 2008 I was told there was only 20% It. Would be found I drained to both arm pits and
                  Left flank again I beat the odds 3 spots where most drain to one . I did what I could and yet my battle continues. I am hoping I beat the odds in a good way by responding to Yervoy and Zelboraf at the same time. I will have scans in about 5 weeks and I will know then. If not on I go, no guarantees ever in life.
                  Kathy d
                  Kathy d
                  Kathy d
                  JC
                  Participant

I'm really stunned by all of this.  I would think if in the medical community they are doing procedures on people, there must be some meaning behind them.  But, from this, it seems that negative nodes means absolutely nothing; so, why do the procedure at all on anyone then?  What is the value?  If the results don't necessarily mean anything, because all these other things could still be happening, why do it at all ever on anyone? 

By having your nodes tested, if they come back positive you will know your disease is is at a more serious stage and have time to possibily stop the spread.and closer follow up. Thisis the main reason to have it done.
                    Kathy d
                    By having your nodes tested, if they come back positive you will know your disease is is at a more serious stage and have time to possibily stop the spread.and closer follow up. Thisis the main reason to have it done.
                    Kathy d
                    Kathy d
                    Kathy d
                    Kathy d
                    Kathy d
                    JC
                    Participant

I'm really stunned by all of this.  I would think if in the medical community they are doing procedures on people, there must be some meaning behind them.  But, from this, it seems that negative nodes means absolutely nothing; so, why do the procedure at all on anyone then?  What is the value?  If the results don't necessarily mean anything, because all these other things could still be happening, why do it at all ever on anyone? 

JC
                      Participant

Kathy d
                        Kathy d
                      lhaley
                      Participant

The SNB tells you that at this particular moment in time the first node in the path is clear.  For me mine spread in the blood system, although that is rare (8%). Mine went to the lymph node 4 years after I was already stage IV. 

So for many the SNB gives you information to let you know if the primary has metasticized but it doesn't help all of the time. 

lhaley
                        Participant

kthekhal
                          Participant

Negative lymph nodes usually means good news – but I have always pondered this question – how long does it take for the cancer to reach the lymph nodes from the original cancer site ?   – in my case  I waited 2 months after my initial diagnosis (primary on left fore arm)   –   and during the WLE , they took samples from my left arm and found 2 affected lymph nodes – but if I had the WLE 2 months earlier, would  it be  'negative' lymph nodes ??

kthekhal
                            Participant

Negative lymph nodes usually means good news – but I have always pondered this question – how long does it take for the cancer to reach the lymph nodes from the original cancer site ?   – in my case  I waited 2 months after my initial diagnosis (primary on left fore arm)   –   and during the WLE , they took samples from my left arm and found 2 affected lymph nodes – but if I had the WLE 2 months earlier, would  it be  'negative' lymph nodes ??

kthekhal
                              Participant

LynnLuc
                                Participant

I first had 5 SNL removed from my neck and they all came back neg…and was told I had nothing to worry about…..later I ended up with a 6.8 cent melanoma pressing against my superior vena cava and had it removed. The one above it was clear and the one below it was clear….obviously the tiny cells go floating down the river of lymph and until they decide to park and grow they are never noticed on a scan…truthfully they only time it matters is when they are positive…then you know for sure….

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

I first had 5 SNL removed from my neck and they all came back neg…and was told I had nothing to worry about…..later I ended up with a 6.8 cent melanoma pressing against my superior vena cava and had it removed. The one above it was clear and the one below it was clear….obviously the tiny cells go floating down the river of lymph and until they decide to park and grow they are never noticed on a scan…truthfully they only time it matters is when they are positive…then you know for sure….

JC
                                      Participant

What was your initial stage/pathology, if you don't mind my asking?

JC
                                        Participant

JC
                                          Participant

LynnLuc
                                          Participant

kjkaralekas
                                            Participant

For me, the SNB came back negative and I thought everything was okay. Seven months later I discovered a swollen lymph node under my chin which was positive for melanoma. So in my case, the SNB went to a different lymph node than the one that contained the melanoma. But, in the end, I was able to go to a better hospital (Mass Eye and Ear) to have my lymph node dissection and feel I am in better hands now for the future (Melanoma Center at Mass General).

Kelly

kjkaralekas
                                              Participant

For me, the SNB came back negative and I thought everything was okay. Seven months later I discovered a swollen lymph node under my chin which was positive for melanoma. So in my case, the SNB went to a different lymph node than the one that contained the melanoma. But, in the end, I was able to go to a better hospital (Mass Eye and Ear) to have my lymph node dissection and feel I am in better hands now for the future (Melanoma Center at Mass General).

Kelly

JC
                                                  Participant

Wow, ok, so now I'm confused as to the value of SNB to begin with, if it can be a totally different node anyway

kjkaralekas
                                                    Participant

Believe me, it's not that common at all. My oncologist said it happens in only about 5 – 10% of cases. He said it could've been that the cell was already in stream as the SNB was done, or that it just happened to go to a different node on that day, I can't remember the third reason he gave. In any case, it's not common and in my case, my node with melanoma was encapsulated so there's hope that no cells broke out of the node. But we all know, you never know with melanoma and might not for years to come.

kjkaralekas
                                                      Participant

Believe me, it's not that common at all. My oncologist said it happens in only about 5 – 10% of cases. He said it could've been that the cell was already in stream as the SNB was done, or that it just happened to go to a different node on that day, I can't remember the third reason he gave. In any case, it's not common and in my case, my node with melanoma was encapsulated so there's hope that no cells broke out of the node. But we all know, you never know with melanoma and might not for years to come.

kjkaralekas
                                                        Participant

JC
                                                          Participant

Wow, ok, so now I'm confused as to the value of SNB to begin with, if it can be a totally different node anyway

JC
                                                            Participant

kjkaralekas
                                                            Participant

Kelly

msue5
                                                              Participant

I had 3mm nodular melanoma on my thigh with mitosis of 8. All my dr's were very surprised when my SLNB was neg. 11 months later discovered an enlarged groin node. It turned out to be extra encapsulated (the node was full of melanoma and melanoma was found in the surrounding tissue. I think my SLNB got the wrong node but I also had serial CT and Pet Scans and had a neg CT in Oct and the node melanoma was discovered in Dec. So who knows? I  had CLND lt groin and 2 more major surgeries on abd due to complications from CLND. I now may have to have another surgery but scans are clean except for 3 tiny lung nodules that are too small to diagnose at this time. Next scans are in June. Sorry to be so negative but these things do happen. Its a rollercoaster ride- many ups and downs. My Onc says hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

msue5
                                                                Participant

I had 3mm nodular melanoma on my thigh with mitosis of 8. All my dr's were very surprised when my SLNB was neg. 11 months later discovered an enlarged groin node. It turned out to be extra encapsulated (the node was full of melanoma and melanoma was found in the surrounding tissue. I think my SLNB got the wrong node but I also had serial CT and Pet Scans and had a neg CT in Oct and the node melanoma was discovered in Dec. So who knows? I  had CLND lt groin and 2 more major surgeries on abd due to complications from CLND. I now may have to have another surgery but scans are clean except for 3 tiny lung nodules that are too small to diagnose at this time. Next scans are in June. Sorry to be so negative but these things do happen. Its a rollercoaster ride- many ups and downs. My Onc says hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

msue5
                                                                  Participant

UrsulaZ
                                                                    Participant

So difficult to know!

I was at stage IB (posterior thigh) in 2009, and the SNLB was negative when they took a few nodes out of my groin. Then, two years later, a node turned up in the same area — it must have travelled to one of the ones that they didn't remove.

I was stunned (I'd thought I was probably out of the woods)

But remember: the folks on this board – myself included — are not a representative sample. The unluckier ones are over-represented, because we're doing things like reading & posting on melanoma boards!! I'm sure there are many people for whom a negative SNLB meant that they WERE out of the woods. 

Here's hoping that you're one!

Ursula (3B) 

UrsulaZ
                                                                      Participant

So difficult to know!

I was at stage IB (posterior thigh) in 2009, and the SNLB was negative when they took a few nodes out of my groin. Then, two years later, a node turned up in the same area — it must have travelled to one of the ones that they didn't remove.

But remember: the folks on this board – myself included — are not a representative sample. The unluckier ones are over-represented, because we're doing things like reading & posting on melanoma boards!! I'm sure there are many people for whom a negative SNLB meant that they WERE out of the woods. 

Ursula (3B) 

UrsulaZ
                                                                        Participant

So difficult to know!

Ursula (3B) 

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics