The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mayo Clinic

Forums General Melanoma Community Mayo Clinic

Participant

I had a wide excision on 8/28 for probable Melanoma and my path results are taking forever to come back. I took it upon myself to call the pathology department on Thursday and they told me my sample went to Mayo Clinic. 

I called Mayo Friday and they told me my sample is getting cytogenetic testing done and a melanoma FISH. I did google both those tests but I'm still confused. 

Has anyone had a similar situation?

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It may be your lesion came back as a Spitz nevus, but your age might make that seem wrong.  Spitz nevi look almost identical to melanoma under the microscope.  They are typically found in individuals under the age of 20.  So if you are older than 20, it might be that they are trying to determine which type of lesion you have.  If they do a FSH test, it looks at the DNA.  If there are lots of errors/defects, then they will probably side on the case of melanoma.  If the DNA looks normal, then they will say Sptiz Nevus.  At least that is what the FSH test is typically used for.  I'm not certain what the cytogenetic testing is.  Just my guess.

Janner
            Participant

Should have said Spitz Nevi are totally benign.  So this testing is done to make sure they know exactly what they are dealing with and it can take extra time for the results.

Dwilkinson
              Participant

I'm 34. I have 4 little kids at home. This 3 weeks waiting for pathology is about enough to give me a panic attack. 

thinkingofu
                Participant

Please let us know about the results x Hope it is benign, but even if not – you can get through this. Dont try to face this alone. There are so many people here who are very supportive and are willing to help.

Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics