The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Maybe it’s lack of Sun ?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Maybe it’s lack of Sun ?

• Replies
      maryb-z
      Participant
        I have issues with this article. Can you provide more peer reviewed science-based evidence from renowned doctors? From all the evidence-based journals I’ve read. Black Salve is dangerous and not scientifically supported.
          Bubbles
          Participant

Sometimes we just have to shake our head and move on, Mary.  BUT, I am glad you made the comments you did, as you are exactly right and desperate newbies to melanoma and this forum may not be adjusted to the type of hype and hocus pocus that some folks frequently post!!!  Black salve IS dangerous and I know of at least one individual with melanoma who decided to utilize it and diet as 'treatment' for their melanoma and they are no longer with us.  Thanks for advocating and looking out for those less well educated in this than yourself!!  Celeste

Gene_S
            Participant

Do the Sun’s Rays Really Cause Skin Cancer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIwS_A81T14

by Dr. Peter Glidden

The Sun Doesn't Cause Skin Cancer, But Sunscreen Does!

byAndreas Moritz

Bubbles
            Participant

Just to add one more positive note to what you helped with, Mary.  We are lucky to have this poster as proof of the wonders of immunotherapy!  After advancing to Stage IV melanoma in 2010, he was fortunate enough (and brave enough) to be a rattie in an ipi combined with GMCSF trial.  Within 7 months of treatment he had a 60% reduction in his tumor and was developing vitiligo.  In about a year he was NED, and, as I understand it, remains so today, with no further treatment.  Therefore, I celebrate this early rattie who helped make ipi and immunotherapy generally available to so many.  I wish he would.  But, until he embraces the gift he was given and shared with us all, we will carry on.  Thanks, Gene!  Let's keep it 100!!!!  celeste

Gene_S
                Participant

Just for the record when I was approached to do the clinical trial.  We had a discussion with the research department about the success of clinical trials and they stated it all depends on your overalll condition when you start the newly tested drugs.  Most people that are already in bad condition might die anyway but it gives them some hope.  Outside of my melanoma my condition was pretty good so that helped in my survival.  I worked mostly afternoon and midnight turn and I do believe that the lack of sunlight contrributed to my melanoma.  My research nurse also worked in a great study of Vitamin D3 and she also was concerned that it may be the cause of so many getting cancer and in particular melanoma cancer.  I also had a friend that started the Ipi at about the same time I did with the same oncologist and his overall health was not as good as mine and the didn't never made it to NED but died while doing the trial.

As far as the black salve, what condition was the patient in when they used it?  Had I known about black salve I would have tried it before I had the surgery done to remove it.

Anybody that really wants to know how the medical field works search for the book "Rockefeller Medicine Men" pdf.  You will learn how our medical system started and why it is so expensive today.

Thanks for thinking of me I appreciate it.

Bubbles
                  Participant

Here's the thing –

I have been a runner all my life and I have never, nor will I ever, be a contender for the Olympic trials.  Those who are better – do better!  Of course!!  An obvious tautology.

We KNOW that Vitamin D is important for health and to decrease the risk of disease and cancer generally; melanoma – specifically.  Here are a zillion research articles if they are needed: 

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2019/01/more-evidence-that-vitamin-d-matters.html

Sunlight does stimulate vitamin D production in our skin.  BUT, sunlight provides MORE than just the stimulus for Vitamin D production and some of it is not good.  Bottom line – Vitamin D does not equal sunlight.

Black salve will rot a hole in your skin fo sho!!!  But…that doesn't get rid of melanoma.

There are many obviously mucked up things in the world today – including in medicine.  I do not need a tin foil hat or conspiracy theory to see them.

Ratties rock!!!!!!!!!!!!  All of them.

I've been in melanoma world a long time since my Stage IIIb diagnosis in 2003.  I have lived (barely) through the dark ages – when diet magic, black salve, and interferon were all we had to treat it.  Thank the Lord, through research and ratties, we have learned a great deal since then and have immunotherapy, targeted therapy and so much more to throw at melanoma today!!!  BUT…because melanoma sucks great big green hairy stinky wizard balls – it is not enough.  Not nearly enough.  Still, I don't know about the rest of you….but I ain't going back!

Just keep'n it a hundred!  celeste

ed williams
                  Participant

Hi Gene, I thought that you had actually stopped posting these stupid alternative med videos and conspiracy theory by big pharma videos a few years back. I guess you are back from your posting vacation, and these two are just special, come on Gene get real!!! I am sure you could find some facebook group that actually believes in this kind of bull shit and you would be much happier in the long run. Ed 

Richard_K
                      Participant

Ed, well said.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics