The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

maxillary obturator

Forums General Melanoma Community maxillary obturator

Participant

Wondering if anyone has ever had this operation done?  I have stage 4 melanoma and the main area of concern is area on right upper side of maxillary.  Has also spread into sinus cavity.  In a study now, but dr said goal was to shrink tumor enough to have this operation done.  From what I have researched, this procedure is horrifying!!  Any input would be helpful.  Thanks.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        WithinMySkin
        Participant
          Hi Anon. I’m so sorry you’re in this boat! The best thing I can suggest is to get another opinion from a very specialized ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) surgeon. Just as everyone here suggests getting an oncologist who specializes in melanoma, you need to have a specialized surgeon for this type of procedure, and not every ENT surgeon would do a good job. I would look for a group that is also trained in plastic surgery/oncology. A good place to start would be the ENT team at Brigham and Womens Hospital – they team up with Dana Farber and one of the docs there has a background in plastics and does face transplants.

All the best to you in your fight!!

Lauren

cf91
            Participant

Thank  you for your reply.  I have seen 3 different ENT in the Dallas area (I live about 120 miles away).  The last ENT I talked to was Dr. Lance Oxford.  Have bee referred to  a plastic surgeon as well.  Dr. Oxford seemed very encouraging  but I'm still horrified at the procedure.  I

Thanks again!

cf91
              Participant

Thank  you for your reply.  I have seen 3 different ENT in the Dallas area (I live about 120 miles away).  The last ENT I talked to was Dr. Lance Oxford.  Have bee referred to  a plastic surgeon as well.  Dr. Oxford seemed very encouraging  but I'm still horrified at the procedure.  I

Thanks again!

cf91
                Participant

Thanks again!

WithinMySkin
                Participant
                  Hi Anon. I’m so sorry you’re in this boat! The best thing I can suggest is to get another opinion from a very specialized ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) surgeon. Just as everyone here suggests getting an oncologist who specializes in melanoma, you need to have a specialized surgeon for this type of procedure, and not every ENT surgeon would do a good job. I would look for a group that is also trained in plastic surgery/oncology. A good place to start would be the ENT team at Brigham and Womens Hospital – they team up with Dana Farber and one of the docs there has a background in plastics and does face transplants.

Lauren

WithinMySkin
                  Participant

Lauren

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics