The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Marijuana when not on immunotherapy?

Forums General Melanoma Community Marijuana when not on immunotherapy?

Participant
      Hi all,

So I recently read the two research articles showing pretty grim results for thc and immunotherapy. I’m staged 2b, with a very high liklihood of recurrence. I’m a few years out, but still try to do the things that seems to help with recurrence, though the research is fairly scant here.

I have fairly recently started using some low dose gummies with thc/cbd for anxiety. Bad idea? It seems to me that some of the theories around metastasis indicate that high risk people generally have some cells left over and it’s only whether you body and immune system can keep them in check. So are we just always on a weak form of immunotherapy until we need the heavier stuff?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          I don’t use but I am regularly asked about usage at my oncologist, both before, during, and after immunotherapy. Very opposed. I am also regularly offered services for mental health support etc.

Otherwise my doc is very live and let live although prefers I avoid stress. Doesn’t care if I have wine and cheese or a strict vegan diet if either makes me happy, reduces stress, and gives some agency, and control.

boatski
            Participant
              As in your Oncologist is opposed or you are opposed? Thanks for the reply.
            JudiAU
            Participant
              Sorry I was unclear. Point of reference I live in CA. Stage IV and went through immunotherapy, resection, radiation. I get asked at every appointment if I use and they list off a long list of forms and reminded that I should not use.

And I get drug screened up the wazoo whenever I am in the hospital too. I have no idea why.

Chris R
              Participant
                I think part of anxiety can be the loss of control and the feeling that one cannot do anything. I am stage IV and went through immunotherapy. While no input on thc/cbd, I did ask my oncologist about high dose vitamin C. She consulted with the hospital pharmacist and recommended against while on immunotherapy as it acts to rev up the immune system even more. Point being, do some research on vitamin C and melanoma. Early studies were promising, and later studies less so. I came away with it being inconclusive, but harmless. I am fortunate that my immunotherapy worked and I have been NED for over a year. After being off the ipi/nivo and then nivo for awhile I started upping my dose of vitamin C, but not to saturation. I take about 5,000 mg per day. Does it help keep things at bay? Who knows, but I feel like I am doing “something”. That said, always talk over what you are doing with your oncologist.

I have found prayer/meditation to be an effective means to help with anxiety for me.

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics