The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Man’s Search for Meaning

Forums General Melanoma Community Man’s Search for Meaning

Participant

Have not contributed to this board before, but I am a Stage III (7mm, nodal) melanoma survivor diagnosed in January 2010 with WLE, SNB, and LND surgeries shortly thereafter.  Took INF for a month plus three weeks sub-Q but off now for quality-of-life reasons.  All scans are clear but working to get my career put back together (aka unemployed) after this unforseeable disruption to my life.

Have not contributed to this board before, but I am a Stage III (7mm, nodal) melanoma survivor diagnosed in January 2010 with WLE, SNB, and LND surgeries shortly thereafter.  Took INF for a month plus three weeks sub-Q but off now for quality-of-life reasons.  All scans are clear but working to get my career put back together (aka unemployed) after this unforseeable disruption to my life.

The reason for this message is to plug an old book called "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl.  It is a best-selling book from 50+ years ago that has sold nearly 100 million copies in English.  The book first came to me in my early 20's.  I knew it had important messages for me but, with little context in my own life, the impact was muted.  Cancer has changed all of that.  I re-read Frankl's text recently and it is filled with psychological help for anyone going through a potentially life-ending disease.

So, if you are struggling with the brutle psychological effects of Melanoma, please pick up this easy-to-read book.  You can find a lot of information on Wikipedia regarding Frankl's life.

Geoff – Indiana

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jim M.
        Participant

Thanks for the post. I read this book quite a few years ago as part of my Social Work studies. It has been sitting on my shelf for years and maybe it's asking to be picked up again. I remember how he focuses on the image of his wife to help him survive his experience in the concentration camp. (Hope this is right).

Take care and God Bless,

Jim M.

Stage 3C

Jim M.
          Participant

Thanks for the post. I read this book quite a few years ago as part of my Social Work studies. It has been sitting on my shelf for years and maybe it's asking to be picked up again. I remember how he focuses on the image of his wife to help him survive his experience in the concentration camp. (Hope this is right).

Take care and God Bless,

Jim M.

Stage 3C

melanomafighter
            Participant

I just wanted to let you know I too quit the interferon for quality of life.  I had some side effects with my eyes from the high doses.  Never went away and tried the home doses cause I didn't want to just give up but they were way worse on me than the high, I made it through two weeks and wanted to go back to work and not be sick anymore.  I could have kept going medically but I didn't want to lose my job.  I am so sorry that you did.  I just wanted to let you know you are not the only one that made that decision, I literally just did last Wednesday and today was my first day back to work after 4 months being off.  I am going to check out the book you listed and also to let you know I am also in Indiana.  Good luck on your scans and being NED.  I have my first scans in December.  Also when I got my release the dr said the month of high dose in his opinion and many other drs is enough protection.  He also gave me a prescription for Vitamin D pill.  I had simply asked since 28 of my nodes were taken (all negative) what kind of diet or vitamins should I be focusing on and he gave me that.  It must be a strong one, you only get one pill for seven days.  Thanks for sharing your story and book

Tersia in Indiana

melanomafighter
              Participant

I just wanted to let you know I too quit the interferon for quality of life.  I had some side effects with my eyes from the high doses.  Never went away and tried the home doses cause I didn't want to just give up but they were way worse on me than the high, I made it through two weeks and wanted to go back to work and not be sick anymore.  I could have kept going medically but I didn't want to lose my job.  I am so sorry that you did.  I just wanted to let you know you are not the only one that made that decision, I literally just did last Wednesday and today was my first day back to work after 4 months being off.  I am going to check out the book you listed and also to let you know I am also in Indiana.  Good luck on your scans and being NED.  I have my first scans in December.  Also when I got my release the dr said the month of high dose in his opinion and many other drs is enough protection.  He also gave me a prescription for Vitamin D pill.  I had simply asked since 28 of my nodes were taken (all negative) what kind of diet or vitamins should I be focusing on and he gave me that.  It must be a strong one, you only get one pill for seven days.  Thanks for sharing your story and book

Tersia in Indiana

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics