The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

malignant blue nevi/melanoma/child

Forums General Melanoma Community malignant blue nevi/melanoma/child

Participant

hi.had a question is malignant blue nevus the same as melanoma.my daughter had tumor removed six months ago.the other day she had thyroid ultrasound done and they decided to check her lymph nodes.the only information i got was small lymph nodes noted on report.I am guessing thats good because if they were inlarged i should be concerned?they so far have treated it the same as far as surgery and wle.thank you any information would be apprecated

hi.had a question is malignant blue nevus the same as melanoma.my daughter had tumor removed six months ago.the other day she had thyroid ultrasound done and they decided to check her lymph nodes.the only information i got was small lymph nodes noted on report.I am guessing thats good because if they were inlarged i should be concerned?they so far have treated it the same as far as surgery and wle.thank you any information would be apprecated

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

So sorry to hear about your daughter.  You didn't say how deep the tumor was, I am hoping not very deep.

I looked up several articles and there seemed to be a difference of opinion by the scientific community.  Some say if  it walks like a duck and talks like a duck  it must be a duck,  Others say ah but its feathers are unlike anything else so it's something different.  The best and most current I found is in the link below.  Please don't let the stats scare you.  When you are new to this cancer thing, stats will drive you crazy.  All the folks in this study were older and had quite large tumors.  But all articles I read were in concurrence, whatever you want to call it, you treat it like Mel. 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cncr.24319/full

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

So sorry to hear about your daughter.  You didn't say how deep the tumor was, I am hoping not very deep.

I looked up several articles and there seemed to be a difference of opinion by the scientific community.  Some say if  it walks like a duck and talks like a duck  it must be a duck,  Others say ah but its feathers are unlike anything else so it's something different.  The best and most current I found is in the link below.  Please don't let the stats scare you.  When you are new to this cancer thing, stats will drive you crazy.  All the folks in this study were older and had quite large tumors.  But all articles I read were in concurrence, whatever you want to call it, you treat it like Mel. 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cncr.24319/full

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

W.
            Participant

Another thing about statistics: Malignant blue nevi are very rare, so any statistics about them are much less reliable than statistics about the more common melanoma types.

Malignant blue nevi are even rarer in children. So there are probably no reliable statistics at all.

Here is a report a young girl with lymph node metastases who is free of disease 8 years later: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15861528

W.
              Participant

Another thing about statistics: Malignant blue nevi are very rare, so any statistics about them are much less reliable than statistics about the more common melanoma types.

Malignant blue nevi are even rarer in children. So there are probably no reliable statistics at all.

Here is a report a young girl with lymph node metastases who is free of disease 8 years later: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15861528

betsy
                Participant

On my husband's path report post surgery, it states his primary tumor was melanoma arising from blue nevus.  They took a long time over it to be sure that it was, indeed, melanoma.  My understanding is that it is rare for a blue nevus to become melanoma, but it happens.  He had the lump for 13 years after a needle biopsy came back as a simple lipoma, or fatty tumor, so it had been there a long time.  When it 'changed' or became melanoma, we'll never know.

betsy
                  Participant

On my husband's path report post surgery, it states his primary tumor was melanoma arising from blue nevus.  They took a long time over it to be sure that it was, indeed, melanoma.  My understanding is that it is rare for a blue nevus to become melanoma, but it happens.  He had the lump for 13 years after a needle biopsy came back as a simple lipoma, or fatty tumor, so it had been there a long time.  When it 'changed' or became melanoma, we'll never know.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics