The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

lymphodema????

Forums General Melanoma Community lymphodema????

Participant

i fear that i'm experiencing lymphodema, but am not sure.  at this point, i've only had 2 sentinel nodes removed about a month ago.  i didn't experience the pain and swelling for about 2 weeks after the surgery.  it seemed to begin around when my (horrible) wound was debrided.  it became very "angry" and infected.  soon thereafter, i had pain starting up by my groin (dissection spot) down to my feet. 

i fear that i'm experiencing lymphodema, but am not sure.  at this point, i've only had 2 sentinel nodes removed about a month ago.  i didn't experience the pain and swelling for about 2 weeks after the surgery.  it seemed to begin around when my (horrible) wound was debrided.  it became very "angry" and infected.  soon thereafter, i had pain starting up by my groin (dissection spot) down to my feet. 

for about the past 2 and 1/2 weeks, this pain and swelling has persisted.  i'm not sure if it can be attributed to true lymphodema because i lost those 2 nodes, or if it is a reaction to the infected excision wound.  it is tolerable, but consistent and painful.  the whole inside of my leg feels tight and hurts if i flex in different directions.  in addition, my ankle and foot is swollent non-stop.

i'm facing the lymphadenectomy in about 2 months as soon as my wound is healed to prevent infection.  i'm agonizing over the decision whether to have the surgery or not (which i've posted about previously).  the issue now is that i'm TRULY fearful of lymphodema.  if i'm experiencing it already from just the removal of 2, what do i have to anticipate after the procedure???  i feel like i'd rather not have a leg than to have to deal with this, or probably worse, for the rest of my life.

has anyone had a temporary flare up in reaction to the excision?  it was on my calf, by the way.  i have an appt with my surgical onc on mon.  i'm hoping he can provide SOME insight.  so far, he's really only said we can't tell what is going on.  🙁

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        msue5
        Participant

I also had significant Lymphedema after removal of 1 SN. When I had my complete groin dissection11 months later I was worried about more Lymphedema. I had Lymphedema tratment( wrapping and massage) late because I had complications (large open wound which required reconstruction). My Lymphedema is considered moderate and I use a compression sleeve(pump) for treatment. All in all my lymphedema is not a whole lot worse than after the SLN. My Lymphedema Dr also warned that it can become worse at any time even years after the initial surgery. Just wanted you to know it may not turn out as bad as you think.

Mary Sue

msue5
          Participant

I also had significant Lymphedema after removal of 1 SN. When I had my complete groin dissection11 months later I was worried about more Lymphedema. I had Lymphedema tratment( wrapping and massage) late because I had complications (large open wound which required reconstruction). My Lymphedema is considered moderate and I use a compression sleeve(pump) for treatment. All in all my lymphedema is not a whole lot worse than after the SLN. My Lymphedema Dr also warned that it can become worse at any time even years after the initial surgery. Just wanted you to know it may not turn out as bad as you think.

Mary Sue

lizzykittycat
              Participant

thx for the insight.  did your dr. think that the lympedema was a reaction to the fact that your wound was "angry" as mine is?  mine is large and open as well.  would you say that it didn't improve once your wound was finally healed?  i was hoping that maybe this is just a temporary reaction to the gaping hole in my leg and not truly lymphedema.

killmel
                Participant

Hi lizzykittycat

Long story short, I had 3 surgeries in my thigh to remove tumors. I have lymphedema & pain daily from my knee to my thigh. Also, my knee to my thigh is numb. If I had to do it over again, I would NOT have had surgery.

I am always in pain & my leg is always swollen. My doctor did not warn me about the lympheda side effects. Your doctor will NOT give you any guarantees what is going to happen with your surgery so expect the worst & hope for the best.

If I were you, I would try to get a systemic treatment instead of surgery

Good Luck

Carol

killmel
                  Participant

Hi lizzykittycat

Long story short, I had 3 surgeries in my thigh to remove tumors. I have lymphedema & pain daily from my knee to my thigh. Also, my knee to my thigh is numb. If I had to do it over again, I would NOT have had surgery.

I am always in pain & my leg is always swollen. My doctor did not warn me about the lympheda side effects. Your doctor will NOT give you any guarantees what is going to happen with your surgery so expect the worst & hope for the best.

Good Luck

Carol

killmel
                    Participant

Hi lizzykittycat

Good Luck

Carol

msue5
                      Participant

It's hard to tell but I think the swelling and tightness is here to stay. My thigh has been swollen since my original WLE but is definetely worse since my reconstruction surgery. I had a transfer flap surgery where they took skin, muscle and tissue from my right abd and transferred it underneath to the gaping hole in my groin. There was an incision on my thigh from that surgery that opened up also. Now I am having problems from the mesh that was placed in my abd during the transfer flap surgery and will have another surgery to take the mesh out of my abd. I am going to P.T. now to strengthen my left leg which is really helping with the range of motion that was affected by the surgeries. If you plan on Lymph dissection be sure to see a Lymphedema Therapist asap after the surgery. It is very important.

Mary Sue

msue5
                        Participant

It's hard to tell but I think the swelling and tightness is here to stay. My thigh has been swollen since my original WLE but is definetely worse since my reconstruction surgery. I had a transfer flap surgery where they took skin, muscle and tissue from my right abd and transferred it underneath to the gaping hole in my groin. There was an incision on my thigh from that surgery that opened up also. Now I am having problems from the mesh that was placed in my abd during the transfer flap surgery and will have another surgery to take the mesh out of my abd. I am going to P.T. now to strengthen my left leg which is really helping with the range of motion that was affected by the surgeries. If you plan on Lymph dissection be sure to see a Lymphedema Therapist asap after the surgery. It is very important.

Mary Sue

msue5
                          Participant

Mary Sue

lizzykittycat
                            Participant

thx for the insight.  did your dr. think that the lympedema was a reaction to the fact that your wound was "angry" as mine is?  mine is large and open as well.  would you say that it didn't improve once your wound was finally healed?  i was hoping that maybe this is just a temporary reaction to the gaping hole in my leg and not truly lymphedema.

lizzykittycat
                              Participant

msue5
                              Participant

Mary Sue

Charlie S
                                Participant

Chill out.  You have been reading too much and not asking your surgeon questions.

What is lymphedema? Pools of lymph that swell and become inflamed is a basic explanation.

Why do people experience lymphadema following surgery?

Two reasons.  One is that following surgery to remove lymph nodes a JP drain is not allowed enough time to reaming so the lymphatic system can find a new path of drainage……………so take that JP drain out too soon and disallow the lymphatic system time to find a workaround. to drain, and there you have it.

The other reason, sometimes the lymphatic system is just unable to find a workaround, so what happens is that the area of surgery just fills with lymph fluid and over time becomes inflamed, swollen and infected

In your case of plucking nodes and a pending node dissection in  two months, allow me to offer a suggestion.

At first blush, melanoma is all about fear. Moving beyond that is working the problem.

Whoever removed your nodes is who you need to ask this question……..and do not be shy.  Before talking with them, write down your concerns and be specific and want an answer.

Do not allow your imagination to run away with your sense of logic.  I get it how much a melanoma diagnosis can blow you away, really, I do.  But, difficult as it is, slap yourself in the head and use your brain.

From what you say, my sense is that post-op, you are lacking feedback and are sensing the worst.

I'm thinking this is due more to a lack of information afforded you post-op than actual conditions.

Would urge you to open a clear line of communication between you and whoever slashed you and ask and be answered.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                  Participant

Chill out.  You have been reading too much and not asking your surgeon questions.

What is lymphedema? Pools of lymph that swell and become inflamed is a basic explanation.

Two reasons.  One is that following surgery to remove lymph nodes a JP drain is not allowed enough time to reaming so the lymphatic system can find a new path of drainage……………so take that JP drain out too soon and disallow the lymphatic system time to find a workaround. to drain, and there you have it.

The other reason, sometimes the lymphatic system is just unable to find a workaround, so what happens is that the area of surgery just fills with lymph fluid and over time becomes inflamed, swollen and infected

In your case of plucking nodes and a pending node dissection in  two months, allow me to offer a suggestion.

At first blush, melanoma is all about fear. Moving beyond that is working the problem.

Whoever removed your nodes is who you need to ask this question……..and do not be shy.  Before talking with them, write down your concerns and be specific and want an answer.

Do not allow your imagination to run away with your sense of logic.  I get it how much a melanoma diagnosis can blow you away, really, I do.  But, difficult as it is, slap yourself in the head and use your brain.

From what you say, my sense is that post-op, you are lacking feedback and are sensing the worst.

I'm thinking this is due more to a lack of information afforded you post-op than actual conditions.

Would urge you to open a clear line of communication between you and whoever slashed you and ask and be answered.

Cheers,

Charlie S

lizzykittycat
                                      Participant
                                        I am actually quite the “questioner ” of my surgeon.

There is nothing held back here. I may be in for a brief follow-up appt, and still in the office discussing over an hr ltr. The problem here is that he cannot tell me for sure whether my swelling is temp due to my open wound, or more permanent due to the sentinel node dissection.

He feels that until after I’m healed and after the total dissection, he will be able to give me more answers and options as far as managing these potential side effects.

In the meantime, he wrapped my foot up to calf with an ace bandage to try and reduce swelling. Through the night and day today, had more pain than ever making it difficult to walk. :(. I’ve basically given up on that. The option seemed to be way more painful and didn’t make sense.

Id still love any more advice. I’m so scared that this will plague me and reduce my day to day quality of life.

Pls forgive typos. I’m just no good on the iPad.

lizzykittycat
                                        Participant

There is nothing held back here. I may be in for a brief follow-up appt, and still in the office discussing over an hr ltr. The problem here is that he cannot tell me for sure whether my swelling is temp due to my open wound, or more permanent due to the sentinel node dissection.

He feels that until after I’m healed and after the total dissection, he will be able to give me more answers and options as far as managing these potential side effects.

In the meantime, he wrapped my foot up to calf with an ace bandage to try and reduce swelling. Through the night and day today, had more pain than ever making it difficult to walk. :(. I’ve basically given up on that. The option seemed to be way more painful and didn’t make sense.

Id still love any more advice. I’m so scared that this will plague me and reduce my day to day quality of life.

lizzykittycat
                                          Participant

Charlie S
                                          Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics