The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lymphedema & Pregnancy

Forums General Melanoma Community Lymphedema & Pregnancy

Participant

Hello,

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIb melanoma in 2010 and I have chronic, but minimal lymphedema in my left leg due to my lymphnode dissection.  I am in my early 30s and am considering starting a family this year. 

I would love to talk to anyone who has had lymphedema related to melanoma in one or both legs and who has gone on to carry a pregnancy.  I cannot find anyone in my situation and I am just craving a chat with someone about how their lymphedema progressed during the pregnancy and whether things got back to normal afterwards.  Any information at all would be so helpful.  Thank you so much,

Alissa

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        AshleyS
        Participant

Hi Alissa,

I just delivered 4 weeks ago. I actually had my lymphadectomy at 24 weeks pg. I had lymphadema throughout my pregnancy but controlled it pretty well by wearing support hose, maternity compression shorts, and by elevating when possible. It got really bad after delivery and the week following. However, now I'm back to normal. Best of luck!

Ashley

Alissa H
            Participant

Hi Ashley,

Thank you so much for your reply! One very quick follow-up question.  Do you still have minor lymphedema in your leg after the pregnancy or has it gone away completely?

Thank you!!

Alissa

AshleyS
              Participant

Hi Alissa,

It is very, very minor now. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

good luck!

Ashley

AshleyS
                Participant

Hi Alissa,

good luck!

Ashley

AshleyS
                  Participant

Hi Alissa,

good luck!

Ashley

Alissa H
                    Participant

Hi Ashley,

Thank you so much for your reply! One very quick follow-up question.  Do you still have minor lymphedema in your leg after the pregnancy or has it gone away completely?

Thank you!!

Alissa

Alissa H
                      Participant

Hi Ashley,

Thank you!!

Alissa

AshleyS
                      Participant

Hi Alissa,

I just delivered 4 weeks ago. I actually had my lymphadectomy at 24 weeks pg. I had lymphadema throughout my pregnancy but controlled it pretty well by wearing support hose, maternity compression shorts, and by elevating when possible. It got really bad after delivery and the week following. However, now I'm back to normal. Best of luck!

Ashley

AshleyS
                        Participant

Hi Alissa,

Ashley

Minnesota
                          Participant

I have primary lymphedema with zero lymph fluid uptake in either leg. I was born this way, but ironically it was never diagnosed until 18 mos. after a SNB for melanoma in my left arm, which was unrelated, but finally brought me to a vascular doctor.

I have four children (all born prior to diagnosis), and my legs were stumps during the last months of each pregnancy – people would gasp when they saw my legs and feet. They went back to their previous state a few weeks after my kids were born (but still much larger than normal, as that was how they'd always been).

I wear 30-40 mmHg pantyhose now.  I went through the short-stretch wrapping to get the size of my legs down, which is really important if you haven't done that through a physical therapist. I wear non-prescription compression soft yarn socks to bed. The only time I'm not in compression is when I'm in the shower.

If you are wearing a compression garment every single day for all your waking hours, I doubt you will have any problems with a pregnancy. If you are only wearing one when you have a lot of swelling, it will be really hard to get on top it while pregnant and it could easily go out of control. 

My advice would be to get in full daily compression before you get pregnant so that it's a solid habit. Also, find a fitter that you can see on a regular basis to keep measuring and have you in the right pregnancy pantyhose as the pregnancy progresses. I would not do single leg compression as it will bind too much at the top of your leg – pantyhose sound awful, but they will support a pregnancy much better and eliminate binding.

If you are 5'4" or less, make sure you can get a petite size – it took me 9 mos. of pain and frustration before I found the type that worked for me (Juzo), I am 5'4" and even the "short" were too long, I needed petite. Lymphedma sucks, but once you find the right garment, it just becomes a habit like brushing teeth. Once you are in the right amount of compression, you can forget that you even have it and can do anything you want.

Minnesota
                            Participant

I have primary lymphedema with zero lymph fluid uptake in either leg. I was born this way, but ironically it was never diagnosed until 18 mos. after a SNB for melanoma in my left arm, which was unrelated, but finally brought me to a vascular doctor.

I have four children (all born prior to diagnosis), and my legs were stumps during the last months of each pregnancy – people would gasp when they saw my legs and feet. They went back to their previous state a few weeks after my kids were born (but still much larger than normal, as that was how they'd always been).

I wear 30-40 mmHg pantyhose now.  I went through the short-stretch wrapping to get the size of my legs down, which is really important if you haven't done that through a physical therapist. I wear non-prescription compression soft yarn socks to bed. The only time I'm not in compression is when I'm in the shower.

If you are wearing a compression garment every single day for all your waking hours, I doubt you will have any problems with a pregnancy. If you are only wearing one when you have a lot of swelling, it will be really hard to get on top it while pregnant and it could easily go out of control. 

My advice would be to get in full daily compression before you get pregnant so that it's a solid habit. Also, find a fitter that you can see on a regular basis to keep measuring and have you in the right pregnancy pantyhose as the pregnancy progresses. I would not do single leg compression as it will bind too much at the top of your leg – pantyhose sound awful, but they will support a pregnancy much better and eliminate binding.

If you are 5'4" or less, make sure you can get a petite size – it took me 9 mos. of pain and frustration before I found the type that worked for me (Juzo), I am 5'4" and even the "short" were too long, I needed petite. Lymphedma sucks, but once you find the right garment, it just becomes a habit like brushing teeth. Once you are in the right amount of compression, you can forget that you even have it and can do anything you want.

Minnesota
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics