The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lymphadema

Forums General Melanoma Community Lymphadema

Participant

Diagnosed with stage 1 b melanoma on right ear on 12/2017. Had wedge resection with sentinel lymph node biopsy one of the lymph node was positive with very few cancer cells. January 23 had lymphadenectomy to remove 10 lymph nodes and a salivary gland since one of the lymph node was attached to it. Final stage 3a 

Is lymphadema common with this type of procedure? 

How is this procedure is affecting my immune system in dealing with comon upper respiratory infection and seasonal allergies, which I have? 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        BillB
        Participant

Hi, I had a CLND ( 35 lymph nodes removed) and parotidectomy in May 2017. I did have lymphadema which finally resolved in February 2018. So far there have been no effects with my immune system fighting off common colds etc. I have not had a common cold etc since the operation.

Bill

JuTMSY4
          Participant

I don't know the numbers, but there is a risk factor for Lymphedema when you have a Lymphadenectomy.  It's usually diagnosed a few months after surgery.  Positing an educated guess, I would imagine that lymphedema is less common in neck dissections because of the location (the fluid would flow down to other nodes during the day).

Lymphedema isn't terrible, just a pain in the butt, tbh.  

Atk4life
            Participant
              Hi. I had 17 lymph nodes removed in 2016. Lymphedema didn’t happen until May of 2017 when flying in a plane triggered it. Now in 2018 I have lymphedema in my left breast and left arm. Every person is different. Do not overexert your lymphatic system. The fluid will have not have a place to go. Many people don’t talk about what can happen after lymph nodes are removed but it is extremely common. And is something else you to have to deal with on top of melanoma.
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics