The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lymph Nodes…Bad news?

Forums General Melanoma Community Lymph Nodes…Bad news?

Participant

You may remember awhile back I questioned a complete removal of my lymph nodes (I'm 3a). I had a lymph node removed from both sides of my groin during my SLNB that had melanoma. I went to Mayo last month for their opinion, and they recommended not removing lymph nodes. They did recommend that I have an ultrasound of my lymph nodes in my groin area every 3 months for 3 years. I had my first one yesterday.

I got the results of the ultrasound today (I truely thought it was just a baseline) but one of my lymph nodes may be "reactive or involved with metastatic disease." They might recommend an ultrasound guided bioposy or FNA (fine needle aspiration). My onocologist is on vacation until next week, so I don't know what his plan will be.

If melanoma is in another node, does my stage change? Does this make everything a lot worse?

I'm on a year of Opdivo. I have had 2 rounds(1st dose was the 2 week dose and dose on Monday was the monthly dose).

I'm trying to stay positive throuhgout this journey and I know many people have it worse. I'm thankful I have treatment options and so far side effects to the Opdivo have been minimal. But sometimes, like today, I find it difficult. Maybe this isn't that big of a deal-but soemtimes it seems like continuious bad news, and just when I think I'm holding it all together, BAM.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Sorry for what you are dealing with.  Ultrasounds are not known for specificity.  So the node could be appearing as it is for many reasons.  Additionally, you are already on Opdivo.  If there is melanoma in that node…you are already on your way to treating it!!!  Immunotherapy is a slow process.  Folks who are Stage IV have to wait for a response that is usually 3 months or so in coming!  Here's a link to a graph that paints the picture well:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/02/time-to-responseipi-vs-nivo-and-ipi.html  Clearly you need to discuss this with your doc and determine a plan of care that is best for you.  However, you are already on a good treatment if there really is melanoma in that node.  Hang in there.  Melanoma is not for sissies, but you can do this!  Celeste

nicolec
            Participant

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate all your knowledge and advice you give on this board! I have learned a lot from reading things you, and others, have posted/shared. I've got this. Just have hicupps of emotions sometimes.

adrianc
            Participant

Sorry you are dealing with this but as mentioned you are already on your way to treating it with Opdivo. Have you and your team discussed adding Ipi to Opdivo? The combo has 65% response rate as compared to 45% response rate for Opdivo alone .The combo downside is that  it has more adverse side effects , however they are worth taking the risk . Also, has your tumor load been tested for any gene mutations? If not,  it would be  a good idea to discuss genetic testing with your team that could open the way to targeted therapies. Best to you and keep on fighting,

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics